Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Importing Blender Objects

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by adamprocter, Mar 30, 2006.

1. adamprocter

adamprocter

I am creating all my shapes in Blender but alot of my objects do not work

I am creating circle meshes and deleting vertices and joining faces to make the shapes I want, then I extrude , I then make faces, but the object seems to either not import or some faces do not work, however if I create a solid shape such as a cylinder there are no problems ?

I am guessing I am making up these new shapes in the wrong way ? they do not become solid shapes rather objects with paper thin walls ?

I have also noted that I always have to delete the collider that comes with the object and re add it in unity to get the collide to work ? (Unity 1.2.2)

any help much appricated
    Thanks
    Adam

2. dan

dan

Like many game engines, Unity only renders one side of a mesh. My guess is that some of your normals are misaligned and pointing in the wrong direction. If you align them, your mesh should render correctly.

3. adamprocter

adamprocter

Ok I dont think I am doing anything odd to mess up the normals, but I have been slowly building an few object on a platform trying to work out why some objects break and others do not ?

Seems to just be odd at the moment - however a couple of things make testing this really hard

When I re-save my blender file - Unity does a auto reimport but it does not update the object in my game - I have to delete and drop it back in and reposition

Also I have to remove all the meshes from each object and add them again from unity otherwise the colliders do not work

I am using unity 1.2.2

4. adamprocter

adamprocter

Does anyone else have this problem

I always have to delete the collider that comes with the object and re add it in unity to get the collide to work ? (Unity 1.2.2)

5. Sync1B

Sync1B

Try recalculating your normals outside. Blender always displays double sided faces, unless you turn it off. To relcalculate normals out side use Control-N. I think that might solve your problem. Also even if you dont think you mess up your normals you do, it's just one of those things.. Just remember to recalculate them before import. :wink:

Bill

6. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Blender importing is not really supported, but don't worry because lots of people here use blender for thier games ( Including me! :)) and you can always get help.

Lets see..

The object scale of your objects in blender must always be 1, 1, 1 and the rotation must be 0, 0, 0 for it it import right. You have to scale and rotate your objects in Edit Mode.

If the .B.blend file (Hidden) in your user folder is not empty your objects will always import with an extra cube in there.

If you put a model in your game world and then delete/add an object or component it will lose its prefab connection to the 3D file (blender or other) it came from and if that file is reimported with new objects in it it won't take effect. However edits to verts, uvs and removing objects inside the orginal objects will be recognized.

Having to re-add all the colliders doesn't just happen to you it happens to everyone. We tolerate it by not using very many objects. (Which also boosts performance!)

Remember, we paid $0000.00 for our 3D package so maybe we are getting what we paid for.

7. adamprocter

adamprocter

I have added this information to the unify wiki as these are common issues and no one was talking about them. So it took me a while to find out. :)

I have normals turned on in blender now so I can work out what is happening better now, and will try and work with these import limitations in mind.

Maybe something can be done about the mesh collider import ?

Also don't forget you dont need the 1,1,1 and 0,0, 0 as you can bake the scale and rotation in Object Mode as well by selecting Object>Clear/Apply>Apply Size/Rotation. This "bakes" the transformations into the model.

8. nima770

nima770

Hello every one. iam new here and i have really important problem please help.
    when i import my model from blender to unity it make my vertexes double and i dont know what to do.
    i import my model that has 11k vertexes to unity but in unity it shows 22k. what should i do?