Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Important function deprecated. What is the new alternative?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MrDude, Aug 8, 2016.

?

Unity's replacing a rock solid system with an error prone delegate version "because it's better"

1. Adding & removing delegates and requiring multiple functions to replace 1 function "is better"

2.9%
  2. I disagree. Having a 1 function system that can't break is a much better idea

37.7%
  3. I prefer completely revamped systems that come without any documentation. More please

5.8%
  4. Just add detailed documentation and explain the nuances of this system and I'll be happy

53.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neoshaman

neoshaman

2. lordofduct

lordofduct

Well this looks like a free-for-all...

So, who saw Sunday's "Game of Thrones"? Pretty bad-ass wasn't it?

hippocoder and TaleOf4Gamers like this.
  3. Dameon_

Dameon_

"Every musician before we formalized music theory" is not a masterpiece. Scales, chords, and other fundamental concepts of music theory have been around for a very, very long time, and have emerged separately in many cultures.

You're getting formal education mixed up with music theory. If you know a scale, even if you don't know the names of all the notes making it, you know music theory. If you can form a chord, that's music theory, and you know some of it. Just like knowing addition means you know math, even if you don't know calculus. And just like you need to know addition before you can learn multiplication, and you need multiplication before you learn calculus, you need to learn how to use delegates to program effectively in C#. Learning is not a bad thing.

And that, people, is how you bring it full circle and back on topic, not snarky comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

4. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

That's adorable....

neoshaman likes this.
  5. lordofduct

lordofduct

Wait... is that directed at me?

I was NOT being snarky. I was serious y'all.

Game of Thrones fo' life!

(I also love the preemptive calling the thread back on topic... operation success?)

6. neoshaman

neoshaman

Just like the main conversation this is an echo off, you conveniently ignores actual facts I have shared, like that link that talks about all those musician who knew next to nothing about any formal knowledge, starting with the Angeli symphony and that statement frol Hans Zimmerman himself, and guess who had no formal education too? Nobuo Uematsu. There is a lot of self taught musician in my family, and they will laugh at you if you talk about scale to them, they won't see the point.

I guess the conversation has proven it's going nowhere bye! Tanks for helping screwing stuff for people that isn't you.

7. Dameon_

Dameon_

I didn't "conveniently ignore" anything. I said, and I'll say it again, you have "formal knowledge" mixed up with music theory, a fact which you have "conveniently ignored". It doesn't matter if your family musicians would laugh if I talked about scales to them, they're playing scales if they're playing anything that sounds like music. They have learned some music theory, they have learned the patterns that make music sound like music. Their knowledge may not have been gained formally, but they have the knowledge. Do you see where this is going?

Point.

8. neoshaman

neoshaman

Don't worry the article and musician mentioned took care of that distinction, I didn't ignored anything then you should certainly say that to Zimmerman, his word not mine.

Anyway if you want "formal education in programming", you should obviously know this discussion is a repeat of many instance of the history of the programming, the same argument were leverage against Grace Hopper when she created the compiler, it happen when assembly was phased out high level language, for when goto was phased out for loops, for when lisp type of language were mostly phased out for separation of code vs data, and currently engine are preferred over making your own engine more and more, those are all the same things, they are "idiot proofing" abstraction, so it's kind of ironic you are arguing against the very same thing that gave you delegate in the first place, layer of abstraction in the language to bring code closer to design, you are literally arguing against the natural progression of programming's history and why you are on unity to begin with, I mean you are obviously not forging your own chip to make your game using butterfly (see xkcd), aren't you? I'm on the side of history.

I'm really out.

9. Dameon_

Dameon_

Okay. Not really sure what you're even talking about at this point, so it's a good thing we're calling it.

10. Xoduz

Xoduz

Homicide likes this.
  11. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Why the heck was this deprecated? Why make it harder for us? If we WANT to micromanage this, we will make a delegate - however, for the basic of basics, why would you take this away? -__-

12. lordofduct

lordofduct

So you resurrect an old post to basically repeat a sentiment, and ask the same question again, that has been answered ad nauseam.

Also... 'dylan'... huzzah! Another Dylan in the house! (my name's also Dylan if that's not obvious)

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We're done -

The worst thing ever is actually building an API around people who can't or won't code, for that we have a lot of nodes coming in 2018 (if the deadline gods bless us).

Dameon_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.