Search Unity

image to top of hexagon (cylinder)

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by GNPhoque, Jun 21, 2017.

1. GNPhoque

GNPhoque

Hi !

I'm new to unity and starting a hex based project.

I created a quick hexagon in blender (6 sided cylinder) and worked on unity to set multiples as a map. Until there I'm fine but now I'm trying to add a black border to my white hexs and can't figure it out ...

I saw on tutos I could draw an image of a hex, apply it to its mesh via the material's albedo field but what it does in my case is it just blends the color of the image and applies it to the hole surface (so if I make a half red half white image, my hex gets a pale red color all around it).

Don't know if these tutorials I saw were in an older version and then the albedo field's behavior changed or if I just did something stupid, some options to check or whatnot.

I could possibly just space them a bit and set a background color but well I'm learning so I'd want to know what i'm doing wrong here.

So thanks in advance for those who will help.

2. BakeMyCake

BakeMyCake

The steps you mention with the albedo material are correct. It should work, but since it doesn't, here are a couple of possible things you can inspect in no particular order:
    • Check if the default import settings murder your textures. When you import your texture to Unity it has various settings, the ones you want to look at are Filter Mode, Compression and Advanced->Generate Mip Map. Play around with them and see if anything changes. Don't forget to apply your settings before checking anything.
    • Is your hexagon model properly UV mapped? If you export from Blender it is very easy to overlook an export tickbox that says something like "save UVs".
    • Does the texture change in any way when you zoom in really close? If so it may be related to Unity thinking your hexagon is too far away to be rendered in detail.

3. GNPhoque

GNPhoque

Thanks for your help. Actually, in the meantime I searched and found about this UV mapping thing (as I said I'm new to all of this ^^')
    I created my Hex without creating the UV and that seems to be the reason why.

So thanks for the help anyway, took me a few days but I managed to work it out ;)