Search Unity

IL2CPP: Anyone else seeing MetadataCache::Initialize crashes sometimes when the game starts?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Prodigga, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Prodigga

Prodigga

Sometimes, at startup, we get a crash before the game even gets to the splash screen. It seems like something is going wrong with initialising the game. The call stack looks like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. at libil2cpp.il2cpp::vm::MetadataCache::Initialize()(vm:40)
    2. at libil2cpp.il2cpp::vm::Runtime::Init(char const*, char const*)(vm:60)
    Just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone else is getting a similar problem on Android? I googled it but all the threads I found were iOS issues from a while ago. Seems iOS was/is experiancing the same issue.

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Prodigga

There was a time when we has some issues on iOS with this code, but I think we've worked out any problems. The fast that this happens sometimes is troubling though. Is there any other diagnostic information available here? This code is doing a good bit of allocation of structures the libil2cpp runtime needs. I wonder if we're running into some type of allocation problem.

3. Prodigga

Prodigga

Not much else is available. I haven't been able to reliablely reproduce it myself but I *have* seen this one in action myself. It just gives an ANR error as soon as you tap the icon. It generally happens after reinstalling the app (say, after I've made a change that I want to test on the device) and it never seems to happen twice in a row. Sort of like whatever cache it was trying to load up gets wiped when it crashes and on the next run everything is fine because it reinitialised the cache from scratch? I don't know the backend so I am just speculating ofcourse.

My speculation has led me to believe that maybe these crashes are just from users who receive an update to our game and experience this crash once upon the first launch after that update has been installed. These crashes makes up anther 1/3 of our total reports.

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Prodigga

This code does load the global-metadata.dat file, which is a binary blob that il2cpp.exe generates at build time with all of the .Net metadata that libil2cpp will need at runtime. I wonder if there is some intermittent file access problem which could occur in the cases you described.

5. Prodigga

Prodigga

Your guess is as good as mine. I'll tey and trigger the problem again tomorrow and see if I can figure out anything else from the crash logs. Maybe there are other errors being throw before the crash dump, so I'll check for things like access violations and anything else that might look a little funny. Will also try and figure out how to reliablely reproduce it. Here's hoping I can reproduce it in a simple project!

6. Prodigga

Prodigga

@JoshPeterson submitted a repo today, bug report number 767281

Seems someone from Unity has already seen it and successful reproduced it on your end.

7. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Prodigga

Yes, that is correct. It looks like the bug has been fixed internally, and it making its way to release branches. It should land in a 5.3 patch release soon. The actual bug that was corrected is number 766698 (yours was marked as a duplicate of this one). So you should be able to look for that bug number in the release notes.

Prodigga likes this.
  8. sobin

sobin

@JoshPeterson I reproduced this bug with Unity 5.3.4f1 & 5.3.5f1..
    doesn't these two revisions contain your solution?

9. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@sobin

Yes, this issue should be corrected in those versions. Can you provide the full call stack for the crash? Maybe this is a slightly different issue.

10. Yao2ich

Yao2ich

Hi,

I got the similar problem. My situation is that i create an ios project including unity folder as a component. Additionally, i want to setup this component in another project. However it crashes

@JoshPeterson

QQ20160531-0@2x.png QQ20160531-1@2x.png
    QQ20160531-2@2x.png .

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  11. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Yao2ich

The Unity code here is looking for a file name 'global-metadata.dat' in a Data/Managed/Metadata directory - that is what MatadataCacge::Initialize loads. If your project is re-packaging the Unity code in a different way, I wonder if that file is missing. Is that the case?

12. Yao2ich

Yao2ich

I put the 'global-metadata.dat' in the right way. However, it crashes after point of '
    vm::MetadataLoader::LoadMetadataFile'. Maybe the variable of
    's_Il2CppMetadataRegistration' is null.

QQ20160531-4@2x.png

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Yao2ich

If s_Il2CppMetadataRegistration is null, then something did not load properly related to metadata. Can you provide this project in a bug report? It seems like a case we've not seen yet, so I would like to investigate it here.

haxpor likes this.
  14. Yao2ich

Yao2ich

ok, thx

15. lenyan

lenyan

@Yao2ich
    I got the similar problem with you,did you solve this problem?

16. haxpor

haxpor

I'm trying to achieve the same thing as @Yao2ich. I changed [NSBundle mainBundle] to [NSBundle bundleForClass:] to refer to the right bundle of framework. Tested it to confirm, and finally I experienced a crash as seen in the following screenshot.

Attached Files:

17. nguyentrongvan

nguyentrongvan

Useful. Thanks

18. haxpor

haxpor

@josh
    Josh, I think at the end my problem is the same as @Yao2ich . I checked global-metadata.dat file was there, and the code passes, and then stuck at similar place as him, but I cannot see the code only assembly code here .

Did this problem submitted as bug report already? I want to know its status. Right now I'm trying 5.4.1, but not sure it would solve the problem.

19. cj657206427

cj657206427

@haxpor
    I also met the same problem,what's your solution?

20. firetrap

firetrap

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  21. firetrap

firetrap

Anyone with the same problem! Find "UnityAppController.mm" in "didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:" replace "
    UnityInitApplicationNoGraphics([[[NSBundle mainBundle] bundlePath] UTF8String]);
    by:
    NSBundle * bundle = [NSBundlebundleForClass:[self class]];
    UnityInitApplicationNoGraphics([[bundle bundlePath] UTF8String]);

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  22. Ed_bt

Ed_bt

Hey everybody! Can any kind soul give any hints on how to create a framework or pod of an exported unity project? When creating pod the mac runs always out of resources...memory and disk. Those 20k files on Native folder are not helping. This task is really important for distribution and maintainability. Thanks folks!

23. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Ed_bt

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "a framework or pod of an exported unity project", but the twenty thousand source files in the Native directory are probably the ones generated by il2cpp.exe. They are the converted IL code from the managed assemblies that will be used by the C++ compiler to create the native executable.

We did not intend to have them shipped anywhere outside of a build machine though. Once you have an executable, they are not required to run the Unity player.

Note that in Unity 5.6 we'll likely have fewer generated files, but there still will be a good bit of content there.

24. Ed_bt

Ed_bt

Tanks for the input Josh! What I meant was I bundled the unity ios exported project into a cocoa touch Framework having in mind distribution and maintainability. I then added the created Framework (roughly 120mb) to the native project but I keep hitting "Undefined symbols not found for architecture armv7 _UnityInitRuntime referenced from _main in main.o. Might have something to do with fact that the function is included in the following category

referenced in trampoline and implemented in unity player lib" as stated on UnityInterface.h.

With that function commented (yeah I know I wont go far) the whole project successfully builds although the engine launch crashes with the error mentioned in the first post.

Would like to hear more from you guys and If I can help in anything do ask!

Cheers

25. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Ed_bt

I don't think that I can help too much more, as I'm not too familiar with issue like this on iOS. I don't think that repackaging Unity projects like this is something we support, but others with iOS-specific knowledge might be able to help.

26. Ed_bt

Ed_bt

Thank for you assistance nevertheless Josh! Myself and co worker hit a wall with this both with pod creation and framework. MetadataLoader.cpp line 13...although the file is present (global-metadata.dat) and referenced on the project il2cpp cannot find it and thus generating the error. Josh can you point us to someone who can help us understand if what we are trying to accomplish is even possible or if the nature of how il2cpp works is binded to that rigid path of the dat file. On the exported project I moved the dat file and found the exact same error. It's like it can only see if its in Data/Managed/Metadata. God dammit! Is it protection on your side? Once again thank you very much :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  27. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Ed_bt

Right now the global-metadata.dat file must be located in the Data/Managed/Metadata directory. That path is hard-coded in the executable. This isn't really for protection of any sort, it is just convenience for us. We don't need to expose an option to locate it in a different directory, so it is simpler to hard-code it.

I would suspect that what you are trying to accomplish is not possible, at least without access to the Unity source code so that you can modify it. Although maybe others on the forums have had success with something like this. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone to recommend though.

If you do find something that works, please be aware that we may change the location of the global-metadata.dat file without notice, as it is not part of the public API. I don't expect that to happen soon, but it is something to keep in mind.

28. dingxiuweiUnity

dingxiuweiUnity

I also met the same problem。 i had put the global-metadata.dat in right way。@JoshPeterson , would you help me?thanks。
    10.jpeg 11.jpeg

29. dingxiuweiUnity

dingxiuweiUnity

@JoshPeterson
    I also met the same problem。 i had put the global-metadata.dat in right way。But run crash still。 Then I found if change framework‘s Mach-O Type to Dynamic Library 。This problem will be solved!
    But why? one is static library dependency ,one is dynamic library, the other is source code dependency!

Unity 5.5.1f1 xcode 8.2.1

30. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@dingxiuweiUnity

I don't know why this works as a dynamic library, sorry. I would need to understand more about the specific situation. But I'm glad you were able to get this to work.

31. dingxiuweiUnity

dingxiuweiUnity

@JoshPeterson ,Thank you.

I need to search for a new solution。 Because my app must supports ios7 and later,but dynamic library only support ios8 and later.

Notice Me, If somebody solves this problem!

32. xiaoyi6409

xiaoyi6409

I met the same problem too, but if I import the Data to my iOS project by "creat folder references" and import the Classes&Libraries by " creat groups", the problem will be solved

Attached Files:

jake-ruman likes this.
  33. UnknownRE

UnknownRE

I met the same problem, and I found that MetadataCache crashes because the MetadataCache::Register function (which is supposed to be called before MetadataCache is initalized), is actually never called.

This happens when you try to initialize the Unity runtime from outside the main binary: you can solve the problem by manually calling "s_Il2CppCodegenRegistration()" before "UnityInitApplicationNoGraphics(...)".

The problem is that, in my case, this only works if I try to init Unity from a static library: when I try from a dynamic one, I get a crash on "il2cpp::metadata::Il2CppGenericClassCompare".

Any help, please? @JoshPeterson

forest_linshs likes this.
  34. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@UnknownRE

I'm not sure what is happening. We don't support this kind of initialization of Unity outside of it's normal path. If you would like to submit a bug report with your project we might be able to have a look at it, but I cannot promise a fix for an issue like this.

35. jake-ruman

jake-ruman

Yeah, it can be solved using your way!! Thank you. But I meet another crash.

@JoshPeterson @xiaoyi6409 do you have any idea?

36. Alai_

Alai_

Attached Files:

37. Alai_

Alai_

Do you have a solution?

38. Alai_

Alai_

#0 il2cpp::vm::MetadataCache::Initialize()
    #1 il2cpp::vm::Runtime::Init(char const*, char const*)
    #2 ::InitializeIl2CppFromMain()
    #3 ::UnityInitApplicationNoGraphics()
    #4 ::-[UnityAppController application:didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:](UIApplication *, NSDictionary *)
    #5 ::-[AppDelegate application:didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:](UIApplication *, NSDictionary *)
    报:Thread 1:EXC_BAD_ACCESS(code=1,address=0×.......)

39. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@Alai_

Does this happen with a normal Unity project, or is this a case where the Unity code is hosted in some other iOS application?

40. Alai_

Alai_

in iOS application

41. Alai_

Alai_

I guess it's about the Data folder path

42. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, I can't offer too much help. This is not something we support, and I don't understand how things all hang together in the final iOS app.

43. Alai_

Alai_

Thank you all the same

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

The same is happening with me.

I'm trying to integrate a Unity scene with my iOS project and the crash happens all the time.

Attached Files:

45. caiovm

caiovm

Hello guys! We have a special approach to build our Unity iOS project and we recently faced the same issue after updating it from Unity 5.6.2p2 to Unity 2017.1.0p2.

Based on what @UnknownRE suggested we checked that if we include -DRUNTIME_IL2CPP=1 in Other C Flags the following code would be enabled in Il2CppCodeRegistration.cpp file:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if RUNTIME_IL2CPP
    3. static il2cpp::utils::RegisterRuntimeInitializeAndCleanup s_Il2CppCodegenRegistrationVariable (&s_Il2CppCodegenRegistration, NULL);
    5. #endif
    Everything is working fine after adding the flag.

46. akalisingh

akalisingh

@caiovm did you compile a static library that was imported into another project and it worked?

@UnknownRE how did you manually call "s_Il2CppCodegenRegistration()" method? Did you include a header file?

47. dgoodineyv

dgoodineyv

@caiovm Thanks, your solution worked. It appears that define is new. It wasn't in Unity 5.6.0. Kinda boneheaded to need the define at all, since iOS only supports the IL2CPP runtime.

48. Cripple

Cripple

Got his on UWP too, any idea on how to fix it pls ?

Cheers

49. mehdisarkeshi

mehdisarkeshi

@caiovm! You are a lifesaver! Worked like a charm!

50. 357545146

I have the same issue when create static framework, but ok when create dynamic framework.