Search Unity

I want to ask about UI-Only non-game application app.

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by cdytoby, Mar 27, 2017.

1. cdytoby

cdytoby

I searched everywhere, and I know you would say this is strongly not recommanded, but still I want to ask and talk about the possibilities.

Due to many reasons and limitations, our company are focusing on develop Unity apps, including game and non-game app. And the main reason that Unity is not the recommand development tool for non-game app is it's game-loop, and it will consume battery very quickly.

Is there any possibilities to minimize the performance consumation in UI-Only app?

For Example, decrease framerate to 1 when no input and no moving object on screen, and increase framerate to 60 when something is moving, something like that.
    Or some interesting "hack" solution within Unity itself.

Has anyone researched it a little bit? or can Unity official provide some possibilities that I can do and test? We have only Unity Plus license, but we are considering Unity Pro license for Unity source code avalibility.

2. StarManta

StarManta

Application.targetFrameRate does exactly what you're looking for I think.

3. Izzy2000

Izzy2000

I wondered about this too. One thing that kept creeping up, is the question, Does Unity3D do anything when the Screen turns off?

If not, then there's no point in manually managing an Idle (reduce FPS), and Active (60 FPS).. states, as the screen shuts off if user doesn't interact with the touch screen. :(

Might not matter in the end. :p

4. cdytoby

cdytoby

But now comes the questions: if we set Application.targetFrameRate to 0,

1. How would FixedUpdate, Update and Input.anyKey work?
    2. Would it really improves bettery consume?
    3. EventSystem definitely won't work because it's "Update()" logic, so can we tweak it?