Search Unity

How to use Third Person Controller in Unity5's Standard Assets

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by uglyfatguy, Apr 16, 2015.

1. uglyfatguy

uglyfatguy

Guidelines for ThirdPersonController is the same as the one come with Unity 4.6:

1) Start with a suitable scene. There ought to be enough flat ground to walk around on.

2) Place the "ThirdPersonCharacter" prefab in the scene.

3) Unfold the ThirdPersonCharacter hierarchy in the hierarchy window, and delete the "Ethan" child object.

4) Place your own character model as a child of the ThirdPersonCharacter, in place of Ethan.

...(etc)

But in step 3), there is no "Ethan" object. There are only EthanBody, EthanGlasses and EthanSkeleton. If I replace them with my model, then there is no animation. In play mode, my model just stays in T-pose forever. It moves, but there is no "running animation", "jumping animation",... and so on.

I used to work with Unity 4.6 and its Standard Asset, and everything is ok, but with Unity 5?

Thank you so much.

2. uglyfatguy

uglyfatguy

Hey I figured out :D
    1. You must create Animator and Avatar for your Model.
    2. Replace Child ("Ethan") of the Prefab "ThirdPersonController" from Standard Assets with your Model.
    3. In "Inspector" of "ThirdPersonController" object, find "Animator" component, and choose your Model's Avatar (that you created at step 1) as it Avatar.
    Sorry if my English was bad, but I hope you got the point :D

Jenkinzzz and UdithEranga like this.
  3. malosal

malosal

Thanks for this info. Not sure why Unity Devs didnt bother explaining.

4. chomps32

chomps32

Here is a really good tutorial walking you through how to use the character controller asset on UnityChan:

If anybody knows how to modify the script even further to where you can make her walk backwards, or use the mouse to guide her in a direction then please let me know!

5. UnityLong5

UnityLong5

hey guys...please i need a help in a bunch of things
    okay..so i'm making this R.P.G game...and theres a few problem...i cant get them to move..the characters i mean..i have a swords man,a ninja,knight,and an archer but they cant move.....ive tried all the "make your character move" things on google...both on youtube, and here..but nothing works...i mean even when i copy it and paste...the characters move..but without animations..like...the ninja doesn't run with his ninja run style...he just moves with the same ninja pose forward and backwards...without animations please can u fix this:)

6. UnityLong5

UnityLong5

and please....please....please.....one more thing.....how do i make the enemy follow me while walking or running..can u please help with that..because all the 'basic AI follow' things don't work.....i mean i imported skeletons for the enemy but when i put the follow script from google...the skeletons follow me but without animations...like...they just move towards me without moving their feet...please can u guys help me with a code for that....also how to make my teammates...(the ninja,knights,and others) attack enemy while following me....PLEASE...i really need your HELP...ALSO...one last thing....how to make the skeletons attack us the players with animations(their initial skeleton attack animation) and make our health drop(i also need a player health script that can be affected)....and how to make the Knight,Archer,Ninja,and Swordsman attack with their own set of unique animations which can damage the enemies health(i also need an enemy health script for that) and also.....make it that the skeletons attack us when we enter some sort of parameter stuff..and run towards us to attack us.....and a death script as well...so that the enemy will stop attacking if we are dead..and my other AI players will stop attacking the skeleton when they are dead........WHILE A JAVA SCRIPT FOR OTHER SKELETONS WHO WILL ATTACK ONLY IN A CERTAIN AREA..WHILE THE MOMENT WE LEAVE...IT'LL STOP AND RETURN IDLE(SKELETON IDLE ANIMATION).....I REALIZE THIS IS TOO MUCH...BUT PLEASE I REALLY NEED YOU GUYS HELP!!!. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!..(P.S.can u explain it and give me the scripts for it as well in java):)..I AM REALLY COUNTING ON YOU GUYS!!!

7. ETGgg

ETGgg

Hey UnityLong5! Have you changed your models rigs from generic to humanoid. Hope this helps!

8. neighborlee

neighborlee

Its not possible to get assets via unity download archive...url doesn't work , file not found.

9. TriaDev

TriaDev

The best advice is to learn how the components interact with each other and do yourself a favor use c#. Even if you buy assets to do what you have asked for you still need to learn how it all works. Best of luck, you can do it.
    Cheers.