Search Unity

How to sync dlc-content over Network

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by RemDust, Mar 8, 2017.

1. RemDust

RemDust

How guys,
    I'm facing a "theory problem" here.
    I'm anticipating a lot but let's say you want your game to have in-shop content, or even extra content that would be created later on once the game is already released.

If a player download a new skin (exemple), how can the other players see it ?!
    I guess a method could be to include every new content LOCKED in every "new release", but then how can you define a content unlock for another player that yours ?

Any insight would be really appreciated ! :)

2. srylain

srylain

Basically you'll want to do what they've been doing on current gen console games recently (which is what you did say in your post), have everybody have everything installed and lock what you want behind your currency/unlock system. This way, everybody has everything so if I join your game and you have a something that I don't have bought/unlocked I can still see it. Just don't let the user choose it if they aren't able to use it.

If you try to access something that isn't there, you'll get errors. That's why you need everybody to have all the content.

3. RemDust

RemDust

Thanks that's been my first thought, but what about early access and "REAL DLC" ?
    I mean what if I'm not an "activision sucker" and I really create new content AFTER the game is released ?!

Any solution ?

4. srylain

srylain

You'll have to find some way to force people to update in order to keep playing then. Just block them out of whichever modes unless they have the most recent build, and tell them they need to update. It'd be better if you could just launch the update download through the game, but I've never looked into that but I'm sure there's ways to do it.

RemDust likes this.
  5. RemDust

RemDust

Thanks man, that's pretty much what I was thinking too :)