Search Unity

How to stop head tracking (Google VR SDK 1.6)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by pierrekao, Jun 17, 2017.

1. pierrekao

pierrekao

Dear all,

We only have one camera and we want to stop head tracking when some conditions.
    Our development environment is base on GVR SDK1.6 + Unity 5.6 1f1.

For stop head tracking, we set the camera rotation as zero when update() or lateupdate().
    However, it's only working in the Unity game play mode.
    The camera still start rotation when I build project as android application and run on a phone.
    Has any way to stop head tracking on GVR SDK 1.6? or we missing something?

Thanks.:)

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Unity's update for the HMD from the sdk occurs after lateupdate so you are effectively locked out of that transform. You'll need to apply the opposite rotation to the parent or another scheme to compensate.

3. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Why would you want to stop head tracking when the user is still using it?
    It would cause nausea if the user is still moving around while the camera has stopped tracking.

4. GunFister

GunFister

I could see disabling head-tracking for a cut-scene.. And that said, I'd love to know how to do it a well...

Being a Unity n00b, rooting around for solutions like this is often quite time consuming..

5. FenyceAssets

FenyceAssets

Also, could be useful to disable the headtracking to replace it with some other headtracking solutions, that exactly what i'm trying to do. The problem is that because the update from the sdk occurs after lateupdate, the solution of parenting the camera to another object and applying opposite rotation is not supersmooth, a bit jittery.
    it would be great to have a way to disable the tracking completely