Search Unity

How to remove a project from the dashboard

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by yinono, Nov 12, 2015.

1. yinono

yinono

Hi,
    While trying Analytics I created by mistake few projects.How can I remove redundant projects?

Yinon

2. mpinol

mpinol

Hi @yinono,

We have encountered a bug in deletion process so have removed this capability for projects until we can correct the issue across all services. In the mean time we have provided a way to disable Analytics for projects so they will be separated on the Analytics Dashboard from your active projects. Here is a link to instructions on how to disable Analytics for a project, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/dashboard-update.367199/

ikmaniak likes this.
  3. peon_1

peon_1

Wow. It's a year now and still disabled? Or am I just blind? Any news on this?

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

We decided against allowing project "deletion" in favor of "archiving"...this gets the project out of your face, but protects you from accidentally losing anything. The mechanism is a little hidden:

On the left nav, go to Projects > Active
    Find the project you want and click View
    Click the Settings tab
    Click Archive my project for ALL Unity Services

Hope that helps!

oOCreamOo, ionside and wymwaq like this.
  5. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

@marc_tanenbaum

Seeing how Analytics is enabled by default for newly created projects, it created a new project in my "services" dashboard, even if I just wanted to create a local project to reproduce a bug or test something. I now have a few "test", "test1", "test2" projects in the dashboard or the archived section that I will never use again.
    I think the option to delete should be there for people that want to keep everything tidy, or just want to delete a project that wasn't supposed to be added to the dashboard in the first place.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Very bad idea. This archiving thing is also in the Cloud Build service and we cannot even decide to not use the services. Once we opted in, not way to get out. Very bad idea. I felt so much imprisoned that I created a new account and abandoned my first account. Can you close my first account and remove the projects I archived in the Cloud build?

7. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

It's a fair point, given the new setting. I'll bring it up with the team.

8. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Hi folks! First of all, thanks for all the feedback. This is extremely helpful in the development of our Services.

@AnneSchmidt: I can understand your frustration, and we do very much appreciate your patience. Unfortunately at this time we do not have a way of deleting Projects or Organizations. We are actively exploring solutions for these cases, though. We should be able to disable the account for you. Please create a support request, providing your account information along with a link to this forum thread.

There may be another solution, though. Unity Projects are associated with Organizations, instead of any one User account. Users are members of these Organizations and are granted certain access levels to Projects associated with these Organizations. Instead of closing your UDN account, you could simply leave the Organization that contains projects you no longer have an interest in. To leave an organization you are an Owner of, you'll need to submit a support request.

An alternative is to create an Organization for "abandoned" or "test" Projects and move these projects to that organization. This would allow you to continue to use these Projects as a sort of "scratch paper" without cluttering your list of Projects in production. The only limitation to this alternative is that Projects with the Ads service enabled are locked to the Organization the service was enabled for. The Ads service is the only service that locks a Project to an Organization, though. In these cases, archiving the project would be the next best alternative.

IMPORTANT: Please note that your UDN account may be linked to purchases in the Asset Store and Unity licenses. Closing the account would make these unavailable to you.

BlAcK_BlAcKiTo likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you very much for the fast answer; I appreciate much. :)

I've filed a request so that my first account be disabled; I'd like the projects that are archived in the Cloud build be destroyed as soon as you can do it though. I guess you will inform us about that here?

miladekramnia likes this.
  10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I still think the option should be added.
    All the workarounds you mention are just that - workarounds. Creating a separate organization for "test" projects? You'll still get a project once in a while where you "forget" to change organization, thus cluttering your main organization. Imagine an organization with 50 users where "accidents" like that happen once in a while.
    Why just not add a "delete" button - a clean, simple and logical solution.

miladekramnia, Jokul_TX and Khyrid like this.
  11. orb

orb

I remember when Apple didn't allow deletion of anything in iTunes Connect. My account quickly looked like a first year computer science class had pooped all over it. Good times.

unity_cdscd and unity-nikkolai like this.
  12. Khyrid

Khyrid

I recommend renaming projects you want to delete to DELETE 1, DELETE 2, or some other such naming convention. This way it is clear that they are just junk clutter and not anything important.

*Not nerco as the issue has never been truly resolved.

Jokul_TX likes this.
  13. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

it's funny that now 90% projects on my dashboard are just some quick test that i probably removed the files, instead of a real project

rolexhun, Jokul_TX and Devil_Inside like this.
  14. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Keep in mind that if you don't enable Analytics when you first create the project, it won't create the associated project in your Dashboard. Once you click this setting off, it becomes the default for subsequent projects when you create them.

thephysicsphreak likes this.
  15. Jokul_TX

Jokul_TX

It is mind boggling to me that projects cannot be deleted. Im pretty new to this, and the analytics page is already screwed up to the point that I dont even want to go to that page and see how cluttered and ridiculous it looks. Im sure at this point that it will never change. All these work arounds .. click this off .. click that off, its just ridiculous. DELETE button .. look in to it.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  16. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

For what purpose does delete not exist?

18. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Delete did exist at one point and it caused some issues on our back end. That is why Archive was rolled out. It provides most of the benefit of deleting, without breaking anything.

What functionality would you like from Delete that isn't provided from Archive?

Adding the ability to fully delete projects would likely be a significant amount of work across several different services and that is why it has been a low priority. I would be happy to pass along the request to the relevant teams though, if you have a specific request?

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think it would be beneficial for users to be able to sort archive contents into folders such as trashcan.
    If users are busy renaming projects, that's a problem actually. It means they are losing control of things their end and would consider archive to be a dumping ground, which it is not.

In the event of a user having to remove licensed software or there's an IP issue and it needs to be gone they can just contact you. I would expect such a thing to occur once every never, really. But still.

Note: I have no problem with the service.

ap-unity likes this.
  20. Coder333

Coder333

Hello! When I open the operate tab, I see all of my projects, however when I open the developer tab, it says "unable to load projects", and doesn't show my projects! I also (like everyone else) have a useless project in my operate tab, and want to archive it. I can't though if I can't load it from developer tab! Can anybody help with this?

ps i also think that we need a delete function!

21. Serhii-Horun

Serhii-Horun

I have fixed it by switching account -> then press - add new link -> then come back to my work account

22. BOGZOERT

BOGZOERT

Archiving is not a deletion, it is just a swap of "dirty dishes" from one place to another ...

unity_cdscd, d1favero and Sunbelt like this.
  23. jdeter14

jdeter14

STOP HIDING MECHANISMS

Sunbelt likes this.
  24. jdeter14

jdeter14

Jessica Simpson approach?! do you want us to take you seriously?!!!

Sunbelt likes this.
  25. jawadkhan_9026

jawadkhan_9026

Can anyone please tell me how to even Archive the irrelevant projects I just created by mistake ?? I don't want to see them on my Dashboard and I can't seem to find the Archive option anywhere in the project settings. Thanks in advance.

26. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You go to the specific project in the Dashboard to archive it. Go to the Develop tab, and click on the project name. Under Settings on the left, go to General. You can select Archive there.

miladekramnia likes this.
  27. artfail

artfail

Were you guys able to fix the bug that caused issues with deletion yet? I need to get rid of piles of old stuff.

28. LuigiBruno

LuigiBruno

Are you serious?
    We've been waiting for a DELETE key for almost 10 years?!?
    Please add a DELETE key that moves the project to an area called "DELETED PROJECTS" which works like Archived Projects...
    And also add a Permanently Delete Button in the DELETED Zones that move the Project in an HIDDEN Permanently Delete Projects Area.
    You can avoid to implement an UI to Show the HIDDEN Permanently Delete Projects Area...
    This seems like a pretty neat procedure, waiting for you to finally delete them permanently.
    Have a nice day =)

ClpBkr and Flowenol like this.
  29. marked_one

marked_one

Had no problem with this until recent when the checkbox "Connect to Unity Cloud" was added to Unity Hub in an enabled state. I simply was creating quick test projects, so didn't expect anything to go wrong. Today I paid attention to the project settings and found this checkbox. So I entered the dashboard and I already have 14 garbage projects there and no way to delete them. Perfect UX.

mustafahtp3 likes this.
  30. merenpta

merenpta

It's the worst. When you create a test project, the project should not be created immediately on the dashboard. There are already many test projects, but please improve them.

mustafahtp3 likes this.
  31. thedarknomad

thedarknomad

Sorry, but this is insane. The post that there is a bug and it's planned to eventually be corrected was in 2015. It's close to 10 years and saying that is why it has been a low priority when users obviously want it, is even crazier. The only thing worse that I can think of is not letting people opt-out of services and disabling any option to remove their payment methods, like shady sites do.

I also agree that ever since the Unity HUB cloud checkbox appeared, this "complicated" things (yes, it's an understatement, but I am trying to be nice). Either not make the checkbox enabled by default or at least add some option in preferences to let people pick what they want to do and how they prefer their UX to be.

As for projects, excuse my ignorance, but I really don't see what could be so complicated that it can't be fixed in almost 10 years. That you can't find a decent solution in a week, a month or a year can be accepted and understood by anyone that developed software and knows it's hard to cover every base, but we're talking about close to 10 years. Some companies release 2-3 operating systems in that time (and yes, I am not trying to imply that UT has not released anything or didn't improve anything or that the Unity Engine is the same as 10 years ago or anything of the sort).

The way I see it is "simple": if you're afraid that people would "accidentally" delete a project, I don't see it as an explanation. Any project manager or admin needs to be always be careful. There is no excuse. Even better, just add 2 confirmation dialogs. The classic one where you say that all data is lost, all services will stop working etc. and even give an option to archive instead and even better, check for traffic.

So here is the workflow in my head:
    1. if the user archives, just apply the current workflow and notify that it's still there, can be undone blah blah
    2. if the user requests a delete, check if the services had traffic within the last 7 or 14 days (or even better, make it a parameter so that anyone can set it... with a maximum limit, of course :) no point checking for traffic in the last 3 years)
    3. if there was traffic, warn the PM or admin that there are still players using services and thus the game so deleting it could impact their experience or disable services or whatnot with a basic yes/no dialog
    4. if he clicks yes, add the other confirmation box that everything will be gone, tell him about archiving and give him 3 buttons: "delete, archive, i changed my mind"

If someone is really "drunk" enough to still "accidentally" delete a project, I really don't think it's your fault in this case after 2 confirmation boxes and the option given to them to archive the project.
    On the other hand, if you consider malintent, just add a role action of "delete project" where the main admins or owners can add or remove this right and thus keep a project "safe" by only letting a handful of people delete or archive projects (other than owners). But trapping people in "temp" projects or offering workarounds such as dummy organizations called "deleted" or "trash" and moving them there is not a solution, sorry.

And while unchecking the box on the Hub by default might fix most of the mishaps (and/or adding a preference setting in the Hub for the default state of the checkbox), in my opinion it won't cancel the project managers' or owners' desire to be able to delete a project. Just my 2c.

(and yes, I can imagine there are tons of other top-priority requests for all UT projects, not just Unity Engine or UGS, but I think a poll would show this should NOT be considered low priority).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    marked_one and marcinw99 like this.
  32. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean it should be obvious that the bug (if it even existed) was an excuse, right?

33. marcinw99

marcinw99

Just stumbled on this, just found out that I have by default all of garbage / learning projects in the Cloud due to Unity Hub enabling this by default, and looking at the state of things I can't delete them, nice.

WTF??? this exists since 2015???
    thankfully still not too late for me to switch

great summary by @thedarknomad , what a mess must your BE be in that deleting projects breaks things, lol.

34. Saherrocket

Saherrocket

In almost 10 years, the option to delete still does not exist..

I cant speak on behalf of the team behind this services because they know what they can and cant change.

Like the option to archive is nice, but "recently deleted" feature have existed for a long time in other services (like Google Docs, Photos on IPhone) that store (or archive) files for 30 days and gets deleted after (unless you retrieve them).

You basically have the feature without the deletion.

At least ask the community/another corporation/ for help if you are not able to.

Almost 10 years the community have been struggling with this issue, at least do it for them.

And let me be clear, I don't mean any disrespect for the team whatsoever, I'm sure they are hard-working and have a lot on their plate, with deadlines and higherups wanting progress on other stuff.

I hope this message finds the team well and they at least get the chance to start discussing a way to implement the feature, who knows how many users are waiting on this, I know that I am.

35. Saherrocket

Saherrocket

DISCLAIMER:
    1. I am not and will not be held responsible for any missing, damaged or corrupted files or projects or account suspensions you may suffer if you decide to do anything with what I Posted (Here or anywhere for that matter), so proceed with caution and at YOUR OWN RISK.

2. This is only a work IN THEORY and still trying this on my own time with my own account.

Hi Everyone!

I maybe have a way to "Declutter" the projects in the cloud.

Create (or Open) a Project (3D,2D,etc..), import whatever assets you want in it (create C# code files, animations, etc..)
    and then export all the assets to your computer (as a back-up or unity package I think its called) by going to the Tab "Assets" in the top left then "Export Package" (Reference Picture 1), name it "Game 1" save it in your preferred location (Desktop, Documents, etc..), then delete all the assets (that you already exported) in the Project Tab (Reference Picture 2). (quick note, you CANT and there is no need to delete "Assets" and "Packages" folders, just delete what's inside the "Assets" Folder)
    import whatever other assets you want into the project, export them to your computer name it "Game 2".

In theory, this should work to declutter projects.

Then, whenever "Game (1,2,3,etc..)" assets are done and you have a finished Project ready for release/publish, create an independent Project for the for the finished project itself that you can control in the Unity Cloud.

Couple of notes:

1. I know that doesn't solve the issue with the projects that where made before, and nobody can delete them, but I think that its possible to take advantage of those previous projects that where created (for whatever reason) and use them for this purpose. (if it works hopefully, yet to find out)

2. if you still have tons of unnecessary projects in your account, only thing I can suggest is that you archive them for now, till the delete option comes in the future (if it ever does)

3. In Unity Hub, when you click "New Project" I saw that there is a "Connect to Unity Cloud" (reference Picture 3)
    it should not make the project in the Unity Cloud if its not selected (haven't tested it yet).

4. This prosses might prove that it can help us instead of hindering us, it will make it tedious, take up extra storage space on your drive, but it might be helpful if it has a slight chance of working

5. There is something called Rendering pipeline, you can see it in the Unity Hub when you click "New project" on the right there is a "Read more" button (Reference Picture 4), there is a couple of them:
    Built-in, Universal (URP) and High Definition (HDRP). (Reference Picture 5)
    I'm new to all this world of game dev and game engine stuff, I don't understand it and I don't know if it will affect things using this method (in theory), ill research about this later and see if it does or doesn't make a difference

6. If you happen to stumble upon this and you are someone (Owner, Manager, Employee) who is working with a team and on Projects in Unity, just in case you don't ruin any projects, I don't prefer you try this on ANY real projects you are working on, this is mainly for the individuals who are using Unity, I'm not responsible for anything you do on your own free will (That's why there is a disclaimer in the beginning of the post).

I will be Updating this post if anything comes with my testing (you will find edits made below if you'd like to follow along with the prosses), I might even change or add text, pictures to better understand.
    I encourage you to try out and test this theory yourself, we might find it useful and down the line we can even take this to its own independent thread.

For now, I'm going to leave this here so I (or someone else) can work on this later.

Picture 1:
    upload_2024-2-2_19-27-23.png
    Picture 2: (Layout may be Different)
    upload_2024-2-2_19-51-18.png
    Picture 3:
    upload_2024-2-2_18-47-21.png
    Picture 4:
    upload_2024-2-2_20-15-43.png
    Picture 5:
    upload_2024-2-2_20-17-2.png

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  36. UnityBrains

UnityBrains

Just add the damn feature.

Edit; And no, the "the technology isn't there yet" excuse doesn't hold ANY water.

Edit2;
    "We decided against allowing project "deletion" in favor of "archiving"...this gets the project out of your face, but protects you from accidentally losing anything."

This is the most ridiculous excuse. Why don't you prevent Unity from allowing us to delete scripts then? Why are we allowed to delete ANYTHING? Just add the feature and stop treating us like idiots. (though, they mmight not be wrong since we still use their software even after nearly a decade of being told "you're too dumb for a delete button")

Edit3;
    Alsso, let's not ignore the fact that you can't even download a project listed on your dashboard through that interface. There is ZERO reason to not allow us to remove projects from that list. I have some listed which don't even exist anymore. Where's teh sense in even archiving that, gumming up the works?

Listen to your users, Unity. Stop telling us what we want, and listen to what we want. Why is that so hard? Why does EVERY developer want to act like Apple?

Edit4;
    The real kicker? They add this message when you archive a project.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024