Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to put particle system between 2 UI elements?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Orca-Chen, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Orca-Chen

Orca-Chen

pasted_image_at_2014_08_27_06_01_pm.png
    We need to render particle between “Background" && "New Level". Now canvas render mode is "Screen Space-Camera", we only can put over whole UI or under whole UI.
    How to make it working as we expected?

2. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

For this you would need 2 canvas's. 1 to draw the stuff behind the particle system 1 to draw infront. This then splits the draw call up allowing for the particle systems to be in between. In the future we are hoping to have support for this without multiple canvas's

karl_jones likes this.
  3. unityuserBOB

unityuserBOB

Hi Phill
    Do we have the support for the same in Unity 5.5x?

4. change

change

Hi
    Any progress
    ugui with particle and other element

5. maliangjian

maliangjian

not supported yet:(

6. sp-sergio-gil

sp-sergio-gil

3 years after...no news about this??? it's currently one of the more anoying things in UI I think!

7. CDF

CDF

Yeah it sucks. Breaking up UI into different canvases is is not trivial. Especially when you have dynamic objects added/removed. Would be nice to add a component to a particle system, something like: UIBatchBreaker :)

This plugin looks nice: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/108285
    Seems like it's different than others in that it doesn't re-construct every particle into a UIVertex. Although I could be wrong.

MODev likes this.
  8. sp-sergio-gil

sp-sergio-gil

With NGUI I was working in a system that has different cameras (2D + 3D + 2D + 3D) with different depths an layers and in the same screen I had different nested Panels assigned and it worked perfectly, rendering things in every needed camera.

But in UGUI if I want to replicate the same behaviour I cannot because I have a parent Canvas with Screen Space Camera and my first camera assigned, but when I want to create a child canvas and change the camera to use , I have no option to do it... as canvas is not exposed in the Unity UI repo, do someone knows if I can hack this to have nested canvas rendering using different cameras????

Is there any other easy way to solve this nasty problem?

9. MODev

MODev

Hi @CDF, you are not wrong :) It doesn't generate any UIVertices for every particle. It allows just use Unity Shuriken Particle System, with fast generated special UI depth/mask buffer. It's way more efficient than generating UIVertices and much more simpler than adding multiple canvases.
    From my experience and GUI programmers from company, adding particles or any other 3D objects to GUI was... very hard. We have tried scripts from asset store and from github which generated particle vertices, but it was not so efficient (especially for mobile) or user friendly. So I decided to make UI Particle System / UI 3D-System plugins (this second is for all types of 3D objects).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  10. CDF

CDF

Cool, thought so. Does your system use the hierarchy order to determine draw order? Or do you need to separate things forward and back on the z axis?

11. MODev

MODev

It uses Z axis for sorting order. I have thought about hierarchy order but in case of 3D objects it would be hard to feel where should we put game object for models/particles (in final way you would have to still put GUI elements on different Z positions, so keeping additional hierarchy order would be additional unneeded step for user). My plugin just makes that GUI can behave, even on scene view, as 3D so setup is very intuitive. Additionally without using Z axis you wouldn't make particles flying through GUI elements with soft-particle blending like this:

12. Lex_Dudya

Lex_Dudya