Search Unity

How To Open Unity Project From Project Folder?(Where File Is?)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JeZxLee, Sep 27, 2016.

1. JeZxLee

JeZxLee

Hi,

We see you can open a Unity project from Unity opening screen
    but we don't see where to double-click on a Unity project file in the Unity project's folder?
    Which file opens a Unity project and where is it in the Unity project's folder?

Thanks!

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Unity has not one "Project file" that you can open.
    You can only open a project from Inside of unity ( or via the commandiline comamndo "-projectPath <pathname>")

rybcom and zaccongo like this.
  3. mgear

mgear

Double-clicking Scene file opens the project in unity,
    but if you have multiple unity versions installed, it doesn't open the correct one for that project (seems like it just opens the version that was installed last)

4. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

There is no Unity Project File. There is a folder, with the Assets (and other) folders inside. Just open unity, click "open project" and click on the folder that your project is in.

dotMatt and randomblueshark like this.
  5. mgear

mgear

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Tenji067 likes this.
  6. scottcher

scottcher

For reference, if you want the path for the icon to add it to the context menu, use the path to your unity.exe file, followed by ",0" which references the first icon embedded within the executable. Something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe",0

7. Mooktar

Mooktar

The context menu is a great solution, but here's another that possibly slightly more useful for some people...

I just wish there was just a single top level project file I could double click in the main project folder (like every other major project based software in the universe)... So I just wrote a generic batch file for Windows that I can drop into the top level of all Unity3d projects called unity_proj.bat with the contents below:

@echo off
    start "" "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe" -projectPath %cd%
    exit

It also notably works when making multiple shortcuts to different instances of that batch file.

That said, it's not so great for being able to choose which version of Unity to launch if you have multiple or if they are installed someplace other than what I wrote above (but I leave that as an exercise for the reader). Cheers!

8. mgear

mgear

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  9. bradenplaysgames2018

bradenplaysgames2018

I have not been able to find ANY HELP AT ALL, IT ALWAYS SAYS "Project Path does not exist" AND I'M PISSED AND ABOUT TO DELETE UNITY!!!! I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR HOURS

10. mgear

mgear

hi,
    what are you trying to do and how?

pmpsammarco likes this.
  11. miroslav042999

miroslav042999

Did you figure it out? I cant

Jazzysingh513 likes this.
  12. mgear

mgear

13. MarshCZA

MarshCZA

Adding this comment because this comes up high on google.

This is pretty easy to do from Unity Hub. In the Projects tab, at the top right there's an "Open" button. Click the drop down arrow next to that and select "Add project from disk". Then you can select the project folder you want to open and it will be added to the list of projects in Unity Hub. From there you can select the editor version you want and open the project.

Deansington likes this.