Search Unity

How to integrate 360 video with Unity

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by touloused, Jul 27, 2017.

1. touloused

touloused

Unity Technologies

(from https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/07/27/how-to-integrate-360-video-with-unity/)

Since the introduction of the new Video Player component in Unity 5.6, we’ve had a lot of questions about how to integrate 360 video into a Unity project. Over the past months we have slowly been refining our suggested workflow and working on a high quality shader to make it happen. Today, we are pleased to announce that we are ready to share our work in the form of a beta shader ready for use in any Unity 5.6 or later project.

The concept is simple and straightforward. Take any supported video file (like an .mp4) containing either 360 or 180 equirectangular or cubemap content, import it as an asset, and play it through a Video Player component. The key is to target the Video Player to a Render Texture of the same dimensions as the video. Then, connect that texture to a Material set to use the new Skybox/PanoramicBeta shader and use that as your Scene Skybox Material.

Voila! You now have a Skybox being driven by your panoramic video! Turn on the Virtual Reality Support Player Setting and throw on a VR headset and you’ll immediately be surrounded by your video in full 360.

If you have 3D 360 content, you can take things a step further for the ultimate immersive experience by using the Skybox Panoramic shader’s 3D settings.

Full project details and documentation available at https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/SkyboxPanoramicShader.

This work will ship as part of Unity 2017.3. Please post feedback here in this thread.

2. sushanta1991

sushanta1991

Hi @touloused I tried a 2k 360 video for Android device with Skybox Panoramic shader, but it didn't run, but the same video with 720p and 1080p was working. can you suggest what could be the issue?

3. touloused

touloused

Unity Technologies

Sure @sushanta1991, can we start by getting some more info from you?

Which Android device (manufacturer and model) are you working with specifically?
    What exactly is the width and height of the video?
    Does the video file play in general (ie. can you load it into a fresh VideoPlayer with RenderMode CameraFarPlane and see it on-screen)?

4. sushanta1991

sushanta1991

Hi @touloused sorry for not including all the information,

I was using Motorola g4 plus android device, OS- Android 7.0 and Unity2017.1

One more details, I used Google VR SDK to split the screen. With Google VR SDK 720p and 1080p video was running properly, but 2k video didn't run.

I even tried the 2k video without Google VR SDK in the same device but it was not working.

I have uploaded the video source information, please have a look.

I hope I have provided all the information, please tell me if you need the project file or the video to test in your system.

The video is running fine in unity editor.

And all videos show's this warning in editor
    "Tiled GPU perf. warning: RenderTexture color surface (2560x1440) was not cleared/discarded, doing <run with profiler for info>"

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  5. Selzier

Selzier

6. sushanta1991

sushanta1991

Hi @Selzier thank you for pointing out the issue.

Selzier likes this.
  7. lightsailvr

lightsailvr

Is anybody else getting pretty bad tearing and compression blocks when playing back their video in the Unity Editor? Perhaps some codec issues?

SeanMcTex and epit like this.
  8. sberky

sberky

I got the player built out, but it was fixed with the camera facing in one position and wouldn't let me look around the scene. I thought this was built in with native integration for cardboard...did I miss a step?

9. mmsteve

mmsteve

You can also support stereoscopic image if you flip the x and z radial coordinates for the right eye. (assuming the video is split vertically down the center)

10. dreinzy

dreinzy

Hey, this works great for me in the editor, but I get compiler errors when trying to build.
    Is there something I'm missing?

The type or namespace name 'AnimatedValues' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEditor'
    Also 'ShaderGUI', 'AnimBool' and 'MaterialEditor' could not be found

11. touloused

touloused

Unity Technologies

Sounds like you may have forgotten to place the SkyboxPanoramicBetaShaderGUI.cs file inside a sub-folder named "Editor" in your Assets. This would have the effect of trying to build Editor code into your game builds (which won't work).

IGutierrez and hawlett like this.
  12. qwert024

qwert024

Hello!
    I followed this tutorial to play 360 videos. I edited and built my project on a PC and it works well on PC and Android. However when I copy my project to a Mac, console shows "Metal: Fragment shader missing texture binding at index 0 (_Tex / Skybox/PanoramicBeta)" . When I run the game, the sky is green with some distortion. It would be great if anyone could tell me how to fix this >.< Thank you!
    螢幕快照 2017-08-22 上午7.48.25.png

Laulaurene likes this.
  13. jinkwon0425

jinkwon0425

Dear touloused, thanks for sharing the awesome work! Publishing a 360 video with Unity has become super simple indeed!
    One issue that I am having is that the top and bottom of the 360 video is "hollow" as you can see from the attached images. Is there a way to "tighten" the hollow gap on the top and bottom of the videos to make it perfectly 360?

Thank!

Attached Files:

14. touloused

touloused

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure why you are seeing the Metal fragment shader warning. You can likely silence it by disabling the "Metal API Validation" checkbox in the Player Settings if you like.

As for the green/distorted video, I've seen this on OSX and iOS when the hardware video decoder has trouble decoding the video in realtime. You can validate if this is the problem by either slowing down playback speed (say to 0.25x or .5x) in the VideoPlayer component inspector. You can also take the 360 part completely out of the equation and just try playing back the video to the Camera Back Plane in the VideoPlayer. If that's the case, it most likely means your video is too high a resolution and/or too high a bitrate for your graphics hardware to keep up. You can try re-encoding your video to be more lightweight using an external tool, or, by using Unity's transcoding options in the Video asset import settings.

Sir-Gatlin likes this.
  15. touloused

touloused

Unity Technologies

Is it possible that your RenderTexture dimensions don't match the video dimensions?

It's hard for me to see clearly in your screenshots, but it looks like your RenderTexture itself may include some black letterboxing at the top and bottom (which would be due to differing resolutions) which would explain what you are seeing.

radiantboy likes this.
  16. nbac

nbac

very nice ! have to test this! it should be much more simple but is it possible to use stereo panorama images not videos? images don´t suffer from video compression and limited resolution. i did not find a way to do even this out of the box right? just simple stereo backdrop images for vr.

17. nbac

nbac

i know how to use images as skybox and maybe i can setup cameras to render differnt skyboxes but what would unity consider for lighting (GI Ambient Reflection etc!?) i am kind of lost here

18. touloused

touloused

Unity Technologies

Good intuition. Yes, you can use the new PanoramicBeta shader with a simple static texture. It is not necessary for it to be fed by a video file as described in the instructions. This would allow you to use a 3D 360 or 180 equirectangular still image loaded as a regular Texture asset and will properly render it for each eye.

19. sberky

sberky

Hi, what's the recommended aspect ratio for stereoscopic 360 video? Ive been working with 2160×2160 mp4 files and I've had to transcode them every time for Unity to recognize. Is that a file type thing or a size thing? Also what's the largest aspect ratio that will work?

20. nbac

nbac

nice hopefully i get some time to test this! i really wonder what the shader is doing is it just overwriting the clear flags per camera and what is the skybox for lighthing and reflection doing if i merge the panorama with actually 3d content in front of it. good work anyway and a really must ahve for vr!

21. touloused

touloused

Unity Technologies

For Over-Under 360 equirectangular video, you would have 1:1 aspect ratio. If you are having problems with playback, you could try 2048x2048.

If you are having problems with Unity recognizing your video in general (ie. outside the context of 360), then I highly recommend you log a bug and include the video (or a smaller example that still reproduces the problem).

22. touloused

touloused

Unity Technologies

I invite you to take a look at the shader code itself!

Aside from the math that converts between equirectangular coordinates and texture UVs, the magic (as far as 3D support goes) happens because of the use of
    unity_StereoEyeIndex. This special builtin variable is set to 0 when rendering the left eye and set to 1 when rendering the right eye and is used to correctly sample the proper portion of the 3D 360 texture depending on which eye is being rendered at any given moment.

There's nothing special going on with respect to clear flags or anything. The scene is conceptually rendered twice, once for the right and once for the left.

23. epit

epit

Great addition, but for some reason all of the 180 sbs videos I try tear and jitter pretty badly unless I res them down to really low resolution or reduce the fps, even if I make them a power of 2 like 2048x1024. If I take the same files and try them in something like whirligig or vive software's video decoder project in Unity, they work fine. I'm wondering if there is some setting on my system that is messed up that I need to change? I've got a pretty souped up dev PC with a 1080 video card for my Vive so I would think hardware wouldn't be an issue.

24. epit

epit

Same here, I haven't been able to figure out a solution (see my other post)

25. touloused

touloused

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry to hear your having problems like this. Especially at lower resolutions (like 2048x1024) on a hefty gfx card (like the 1080) there really shouldn't be any problems.

It sounds like this is probably a problem unrelated to our 180/360 support though. Have you tried playing the video in a standard VideoPlayer component targeting the Camera Near/Far planes? If that it still proving to be jittery, it would be useful if you could log an official bug including your media and system specs so we can take a closer look.

26. rmagnust

rmagnust

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Update ()
    3.     {
    5.         if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.P) && movie.isPlaying)
    7.         {
    9.             movie.Pause();
    11.         }
    13.         else if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.P) && !movie.isPlaying)
    15.         {
    17.             movie.Play();
    19.         }
    21.     }
    Hello Tolouse.

Sorry if I am posting this twice. I found the forum AFTER I posted the comment on your blog.

I need to control the playback of the video with the keyboard similar to the attached code.

I have tried for several days and cannot make it work.

Your documentation is awesome and I could build a working project that plays in my Oculus with no problem, but I cannot make it work with keyboard control

I want to play, pause and rewind.

I would really appreciate your kind help

THANK YOU

julien-conan likes this.
  27. NvdL

NvdL

Great news that this shader is available now!
    I just wanted to share my experience with the shader in combination with a MP4 movie made with the Gear 360 (and exported with the Actiondirector) and the Google VR for unity with Cardboard.
    In the editor all movie file sizes worked fine but on my phone (Samsung S5) the gear 360 size (3840 x 1920) did not play. When I used a smaller size (1920 x 960 px) it did work. I guess this has to do with my phone not being the newest?
    Thanks for this new feature!

28. Selzier

Selzier

29. Story_holic

Story_holic

can you tell me how to use it? I want to use this but i dont know how to...

30. NvdL

NvdL

Here is a description of how to use it.

@ Selzier: Thanks, maybe the fps was too high indeed.

31. ChameleonPower3DDev

ChameleonPower3DDev

This may not be the forum for this and apologies if that is the case, but my video works fine in the editor but the animated skybox defaults to a different static skybox when I actually bake out into a .exe. I'm working on a VR project but it sounds like that shouldn't affect anything according to the IP -- I haven't been able to find anyone else with the same problem which leads me to believe I'm special. Any thoughts are much appreciated, even thoughts that suggest I'm a big tool :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  32. korober

korober

Hi, I'm trying create stereoscopic panorama viewer for Gear VR, but there is one thing, that I can't resolve...
    I use SkyboxPanoramicShader (from this article), It works good, except all things looks too big when device dressed. I'm really feels myself small inside scene. Then I've found that is stereoscopic effect (or not?)- when we are seeing two identical images by both eyes, our brain correct sizes for us. Here man with nicname "Stereoscopacetic" explain it. If close one eye and then dress on GearVR, then I feel myself normal.

After that, I've tried to create 3D stereoscopic image (Vray stereoscopic render, see my.jpg), and use "3D-layout" parameter in shader, but nothing changes for me - all thing look too big whatever ...
    Now I'm realy disapointed and don't understand how to realise correct viewer. Maybe GearVr can't show 3D-stereoscopic content correctly at all? (some people talks that Google Cardbox show same panorams correctly).

Please, help me to understand, is it possible to create correct VR-experience with GearVr and SkyboxPanoramicShader