Search Unity

How to do 4K high resolution 2D sprites?

Discussion in '2D' started by Rasch, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Rasch

Rasch

Hi.
    I am wondering how one would properly make a 2D game with very big images. If I'm obviously misunderstanding something here, feel free to enlighten me :)

Let's say you want to make a sprite-based 2D game that supports 4K resolution, and decide to have pretty large characters displayed on screen. Let's just also say you're going for super-smooth 60fps animations.
    With 8 walking directions, and mip-maps, you would quickly approach something quite unfeasible to front load into a level.
    Let's just say you go for something like 200x100 sized images (with is 1/10 of the screen height in 4K) and get them around 50KB. You would then end up with 50(base size) * 8 (directions) * 1,5 (mip-maps) * 60 (fps) * 2 (normal map, more if you want other maps like specular etc) = 72 MB per second of animation.

Lets just assume 2048 MB of VRAM are available.

2048MB / 72 MB would give a modest 28,4 seconds of animated sprites. And that's not counting anything else like backgrounds and GUI. And that's just for one character, so every other would need to look the same.

How would one go about something like this?

Could you perhaps use something like Resource Folders to load each animation on use? Is 9 MB to much to load on use without stuttering? Cards capable of 4K resolution seem to have > 80 GB/s of memory bandwith, so does that generally mean it's possible? If you render at 60 fps, you should have 80/60 = 1,3 GB of VRAM bandwith per frame? But that's probably also used for the shaders.

I apologize for all the rambling, and relatively poor knowledge on the topic. Hope someone with some knowledge on these things could point out some obvious good ways to go about this.