Search Unity

How much will a 3D modeller charge for this?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by u-007, Apr 18, 2017.

1. u-007

u-007

Ok, not sure if I am in the right place, so I apologize beforehand if I have posted this on the wrong section. Ok, so there is a game I want to build for a rather small project. This is basically for a full 3D game that I want to make, but will be also my very first game. I have developed a few games to learn programming and such, so I feel that now is time to create a fully custom game to further improve my skills. I am still very new to 3D modeling, however, so for the time being, I will using many resources from the asset store, but for the main character, I would like it to be to be a custom one. I am attaching a drawing for the character I am looking to create into a 3D model. Is basically a chibi anime-styled character. I am looking to have the model be 3D modelled, rigged, and textured. For the rig, to be a full rig, like be able to move all limbs(like neck, arms, legs, fingers, etc) and also have eye/lip movement. Basically, have it ready to be animated in any way possible. For texture, nothing really fancy, just basically for each object to look and feel accordingly(like make the hair feel like hair or eyes have them feel like eyes). Here is a sample of what I am really looking for:

That is really what I want to be able to have. Doesn't need to be high poly, but I would still want it to look clean.

Attached Files:

2. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

You can most likely find a free solution on the asset store that will soot your needs. Or one that's close enough that you can edit it to soot your needs.

But if you're absolutely set on finding out, ask in the jobs section.

Just don't let anyone rope you you some nonsense about dollars per hour.

Dollars per hour are a completely useless barometer for figuring out cost because 1) everyone works at different speeds to get different results and 2) you have no way of knowing how many hours they put in and it's a real easy way to get ripped off.

But, firing off the cuff, I would say no more than $100 for just the model, textures, and rig.

Or you could do it on your own with Blender.

You wouldn't need that great of artistic ability, just patience.

Socrates likes this.
  3. u-007

u-007

Thanks alot for the reply. I will try asking on the jobs section and see what people say. I want to see my options first before I decide what to do. I did tried modeling, but I am not really good at it as of yet, especially rigging. If I could get a reasonable price to have a fully customized character with all the things I need, then I will be a happy camper.

Thanks once again for your reply :)

4. Teila

Teila

Ask for references and draw up a contract. Too many folks have posted horror stories, so be careful. Ask here if you need advice on how to do this.

Socrates likes this.
  5. u-007

u-007

Ah, thanks for the advice. How do you suggest I approach it? I posted on the jobs section and found one with a price that is up to my budget. Any suggestion is welcome to avoid scam and having just a bad day.

6. Teila

Teila

Ask the person for references and contact those references. Draw up a contract. Do not give a large chunk of money up front. Be careful. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is.

Unity has a Facebook kind of connection thing and posting on there might be a great idea. Those folks are involved with the community most likely. I would be very careful about the job forum. Do a search on these forums to find out some of the bad luck folks have had....especially with cheap prices.

$100 seems way to cheap to me.

7. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

If you get an artist pay a lump up front and the rest upon completion.

And have the two of you agree on what is expected including payment, a timeline, and them agreeing that what you pay for is yours to use freely and may not be resold by them. You don't need a fancy contract, just an agreement in writing (a private message will do nicely) that is clear and detailed. Then just have the both of you say you agree to the terms. If push comes to shove that will help you out BIG TIME.

But mainly don't ever let an artist keep the rights to the art you pay them to do.

It puts you in a bad spot real fast if someone else uses it. For one, you can loose the rights to the property if you do not defend it and demand they remove it. For two, they will likely do the same if they become aware of you.

8. Teila

Teila

I disagree. You need a signed contract. You can find something free on the internet if you must just have them sign it and then return it with your signature.

Also, remember, if the other person lives in a different country and you get cheated, it is extremely difficult to get your money.

9. u-007

u-007

Thanks for the advice. I did create a contract in which we both signed. The contract also states that failure to follow its terms may result in legal action to be taken. Of course, given that is a project that requires quite some time and effort, we both agreed to take it in milestones. So basically 25% deposit, then in milestones of 25% till it gets to 100%. As progress is made, a milestone is paid. I found that to be the most efficient way. I personally agree with Teila as a contract is really what bounds both parties to do their part properly. I have ground to stand on in case something goes south. And also, me and the artist I hired agreed that all products will belong to me once it is completed, so I hold full rights for it.

10. Teila

Teila

As long as you are both in the same country or both in EU. Otherwise, you will have a difficult time getting your money back. I wonder if you pay through Paypal if that would help?

However, you sound like you are doing the right thing with the milestones. Good luck! Hope it all works out for you.

11. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

IMHO, contracts are overkill on a $100 project.

12. u-007

u-007

@Teila: Yes, payment is done through PayPal. On my experience, PayPal has always been great when disputing refunds, especially if you have proof of an agreement and proving that the agreement was broken.

@Not_Sure: Maybe, but it is always good to have it. Money is money, and $100 is still a lot of money.

Teila likes this.
  13. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Interesting post.
    How many polys/quads/tris etc. do you want, for a chibi character like this? :)
    I'm curious.

14. geraldsmallbear

geraldsmallbear

If it doesn't work out with your artist I can offer something like this for free/help with scripting advice.

Attached Files: