Search Unity

How is Visual Studio 2017

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by 00christian00, Jan 13, 2017.

1. 00christian00

00christian00

So now it is RC, anybody using it already?
    Is it stable and compatible with everything you tried? Worth the hassle of reinstalling everything if you have 2015?

2. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

How is it?
    Good, great even. Better installer experience, better (mostly) update experience, faster startup times.

Is it stable?
    -ish

Compatible with everything...?
    Nope, there are some features that are definitely beta-ish and not fully working

Worth the hassle?
    That's subjective and up to you. Install it on a VM and play around with it.

3. 00christian00

00christian00

Mostly interested in intellisense and refactoring improvements( if any). Maybe I'll wait until it's out for some months.

4. dCalle

dCalle

So, how about now? I tried it some time ago and it totally messed with unity... now that i tried Resharper which totally messed up all the script references in Unity i kind of think about trying VS 2017 with the latest Unity beta. Good Idea? I got nothing to lose now anyway^^

5. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I'm using VS2017 RC (latest) with Unity 5.6 Beta 10 (and previously B9) without any problems. I've used it both on a project that I later pushed to Android and also on some HoloLens projects.

6. mvallance

mvallance

Hi. I don't know Visual Studio but only looked at its capabilities.

Can Visual Studio be used in Unity so that a real-world object such a sensor can be activated from a Unity model?

EXAMPLE: Unity model - send signal to server (use of Visual Studio?) - server sends signal (http?) to real world sensor.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
    Michael

7. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Visual Studio is an IDE for writing code and debugging in. Yes you an do what you're asking most likely but it doesn't have anything to do with visual studio and you'd have to write the code for it.

8. Player7

Player7

yeah might aswel use it, loads a little faster, has few more options.. no ground breaking improvements though.

9. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

The new Exception management piece is huge by itself. NullReferenceException will now tell you exactly what property was null. Better Git support, faster load, more memory efficient with on-demand loading of extensions and modules and a better and cleaner install and uninstall experience.

10. LaneFox

LaneFox

Why didn't you just lead with that?

Upgrading now, gg no re.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  11. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Now that's just in the debugger... so not in your live code in the wild, but still... with the debugger attached it is a godsend, especially when working with LINQ expressions or compound accessors (i.e. Person.Occupation.Industry.Name).

LaneFox likes this.