Search Unity

How I got C# modding to work in my game, and how you can too! FREE

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by SirHall, Jun 11, 2017.

1. SirHall

SirHall

The tutorial is too large for this forums 20 photo maximum. For those wanting to see the tutorial, please read the Google Doc which can be found here:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1C6bjRvzAwaFIHR6Aq_wUTddzM9oAbuuNM9zth3b7IRs

EDIT: This tutorial describes and attempts to explain how you, the reader will be able achieve C# modding in your games. Without the need to buy anything, even the assets used are free!

Please give feedback, suggestions, and criticism here.
    Thanks and hope it helps someone out there!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Stardog likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe you should at least describe the contents of this tutorial.

SirHall, theANMATOR2b and GarBenjamin like this.
  3. SirHall

SirHall

Good idea

4. w34edrtfg

w34edrtfg

Ty for sharing, so many steps :eek:
    I wish modding in unity was more easier

5. SirHall

SirHall

Ha ha, thanks! :D

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have only one question: can you use C# to mod games that were not made in Unity?

7. SirHall

SirHall

This tutorial goes over a basic startup system to make one's game compatible with modding, it does not cover how mods are made, or how to make mods for any system other than the one presented.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, I know that. This doesn't answer my question that was, and still is, "can you use C# to mod games that were not made in Unity?" :)

9. SirHall

SirHall

My earlier point was that the question asked was out of the scope of this thread, however I can offer an answer. Usually what makes modding possible is when a game is properly built to support it. Assuming the game has proper support for c# modding it should be easy enough to achieve. However assuming you are attempting to mod a game without even basic support for modding, it could be harder. If the game in question is also written in C#, its contents could be edited using a C# dissasembler. However, assuming the game in question is written in something like C++, C# 'could' still be utilized as it does have (to my knowledge) the ability to modify memory data. So to answer your original question, yes C# could be used to modify a non-Unity game, though it depends on multiple factors. This question would be better suited to a forum devoted to pure code like StackExtange. The Unity forums are more for Unity and game centered questions. Just a heads up!

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh, I'm sorry about that, my question was not precise enough. The game I have in mind has proper support for modding in general; we are provided the editor. The code it's using though is not C#; it's a code the developers wrote based on the C language.

My apologies again. :)