Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How Do I get Intelli-sense in Visual Studio?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by roto23, Jan 7, 2012.

1. roto23

roto23

I rather write in c# using Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express Edition, but I don't get intellisense, anyone know how to get that?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    JonnyHolmes likes this.
  2. roto23

roto23

Finally got it working. here is what I did incase anyone else has this problem.
    1.) I installed Visual Studio 2010 Express
    2.) In unity I went under edit/preferences and set VS2010 express as the editor
    3.) I manually launched VS2010 express and selected Flie/Open project and selected MyProject-csharp.sln
    4.) I then manually open any c# file from with in VS2010 express
    5.) In Unity I select Assets/Sync Mono development project

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. drlawler

drlawler

Thank you two years later! Worked for me.

4. ArXen42

ArXen42

Thank you!

5. trecneps

trecneps

I'm working on a Mac and using Visual Studios 2013 through Parallels (I'm still running Unity in OSX though).
    I just went straight to Assets / Sync Mono development project after setting Visual Studio as my editor and it worked fine.

6. SkillBased

SkillBased

Just a heads-up to anyone reading this from today on. Visual Studio 2015 Community is basically a FREE version of Visual Studio Pro.

Get that and you have access to any and all extensions, including Visual Studio Tools for Unity.

7. 123fendas

123fendas

But it's not auto-completing (intelli-sensing) my code, how do I get it to do it?

Eaglehigh likes this.
  8. Eaglehigh

Eaglehigh

I have same problem too. please inform me when you solve that problem...

9. DarkAcreJack

DarkAcreJack

Pay close attention to the setup instructions on this page, especially steps 2 and 3. You may not have imported the Visual Studio Unity package, or created the solution using the in-editor "Visual Studios Tools" drop down (that only appears after importing the package).

alone1992 likes this.
  10. Sydious

Sydious

Why might my Visual Studio's Tools drop down NOT be available? i see it is enabled in the Help>>About unity. version 2.3. I have imported the package into the project also.

11. Baste

Baste

This thread is outdated. VS Tools for Unity comes included in Unity, so the best way to install it is through Unity's installer.

TaleOf4Gamers likes this.
  12. Sydious

Sydious

Thanks. I reinstalled and all is well. :)

13. NejoFTW

NejoFTW

To all the people reading in 2016, i would like to point out that you need Visual studio tools for Unity installed to have this working as it should. To check this go to:
    inside unity- Help - About Unity, in the lower left corner it should be displayed if the tools are installed. If not, go to this page and download the right version of the tools for the correct version of VS/Unity. Follow the steps carefully and while installing close VS/Unity. Hope it works like it worked for me

14. Luis-Buitrago

Luis-Buitrago

My VS 2015 was working fine and all of the sudden it gave this issue (where it stopped the intellisense). What worked for me was to simply close VS15 and from within Unity, double-click on any script and have it open VS15 back up again. Once it came back up, intellisense was now working.

15. ghostspider155

ghostspider155

How do you get JavaScript to work with it?

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

UnityScript (the actual name of the language Unity sometimes incorrectly labels as JavaScript) integration with Visual Studio is not supported (support was removed back when Microsoft bought up the asset in 2014). If you want to use UnityScript you're stuck with Mono Develop.