Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I learn Unity part-time?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by NosyTapir, Mar 12, 2017.

1. NosyTapir

NosyTapir

Dear all,

I am completely new here and I'm trying to learn Unity, but It's not that easy. Actually, I never thought it would be easy, but I'm trying to find the best possible way to learn it since I have a full-time job. I have 10+ years of programming experience but no experience with C#...I work full-time as a business software developer. I also have some game development experience (published my first game on Google Play). I built my first game using Construct 2 but I realized that it's very limited and it doesn't work exactly the way I want it to work so I want to switch to Unity.

The first question is: should I first learn basic C# or it's much better to learn it by programming in Unity? I don't fully understand the logic of C#...

Second: People talk about 3D Buzz...do they have some kind of C# tutorial that is worth trying?

Third: What's the best ways to start?

I know that these questions were asked by many people here, but I just want to make sure that I am on the right path from the beginning, since I don't have a lot of time to learn Unity (1-2 hours daily + free weekends)

2. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Here's my general description of the problem: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1252826/is-unity-for-beginners-if-not-what-else-should-i-k.html

Essentially, every part of game design is a rabbit-hole that takes months, years to really understand. Learn just enough to use them. For example, use free pre-made 3D models as-is, try simple tweaks, then cut yourself off (unless you want making 3D models to be your new hobby.) Just understanding why it's hard to make a box with different pictures on each side will suck a week of evenings.

10 years of programming and no C#, and it looks funny to you? So I'm assuming no Java (which C# is loosely based on)? Or maybe what's confusing you is the Unity API and the funny programming conventions of some native Unity-users. Once you get past Update() and OnCollisionEnter(), Unity is 95% straight programming.

I think the biggest problem programmers have stating Unity is seeing an example and wondering something like "why didn't they use X? Does X not work in Unity?" and the answer is the person writing the example is doing the best they can, using an odd hack since they don't yet know any better.

3. NosyTapir

NosyTapir

It doesn't look funny...I actually tried some things with basic C# few years ago (console apps, variables, loops...) and in general, it looks very logical to me, but I can't say that I'm an expert or even say that I have some kind of experience. I first started with some Unity tutorials and then I got confused...and as you said, it could be because of the API or because of this person who was recording the tutorial. That's why I asked: is it better to become (almost) perfectly familiar with C# and then start with Unity or start with it right away. I know that all this is not easy and that I will spend years learning, but I want to find some good way to learn and I want to know what's the good place to start. Is it 3D buzz or Udemy or...?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. LaneFox

LaneFox

I just started with Unity, trying to code in C# what I wanted to do and googled about it until I was able to understand and do it. IMO that works fine, there's so much free information online you can just find the answer to almost anything if you know how to ask it and interpret the results.