Search Unity

how can i convert these PBR maps to work with unity

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by tomer20072, Mar 21, 2017.

1. tomer20072

tomer20072

I downloaded a free sample of these beautiful displacement textures https://real-displacement-textures.com/
    and i want to use these textures in unity, but the format they come in does not have all the PBR maps used in unity 5.
    The albedo txture, normal map, AO map and height map work just fine, but there are also a bump map, a roughness map, a gloss map, and a map called hi gloss, and there is no specular\metallic map.
    how can i convert these PBR maps to maps usable with unity? really i just need to figure out how to make a metallic\specular map with that roughness map in the alpha channel (right?), but if it's possible to utilize all of what they provide like those hi gloss and bump maps i really want to learn how this could be done. i have substace painter, photoshop and mighty bake on my computer, can you guys think of an obvious way to do this?

2. thelebaron

thelebaron

Those textures are already PBR usable in unity. Because reasons, there are some name variations - Specular = Roughness in this situation. Just use the default standard (specular setup) shader instead of standard(which uses the metallic workflow), put the roughness(aka specular) into the specular input and channel pack the gloss map into its alpha channel.

Just because they supply the extra maps doesnt mean you have to use them, not really sure what a hi-gloss is but they describe it as "for more flexibility" so its definitely not a standard material nor is it needed by default in unity. A bump map is like a normal map but less flexible, so again not needed by default in unity.
    If you want to use the non specular shader, you would have to make a metalness map, it wouldnt be too hard considering you have the other inputs but you might as well save yourself some time and just use the default standard specular shader.

theANMATOR2b likes this.