Search Unity

Hosting Multiplayer game through Unity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by surya2193, Jul 17, 2017.

1. surya2193

surya2193

Hi All,

Could you please help me getting clarity on below point:

Does Unity MatchMaking services actually host the game or it just a relay node connecting both the player. For Ex., If two player game is played:
    1. Is it hosted on unity server using MatchMaking services where both player act as client and server is hosted by Unity
    2. Or, Is it just connection point and one of the client will act as server and MatchMaking Service just provide an medium for them to connect.

I have read several threads on this but unable to get any clarity. In case this is already asked, please re-direct me to the thread.

Let me know if anything is not clear in above question.

Thank You for your help in advance.

2. TwoTen

TwoTen

But in addition. There is also the Relay Server. Which is a constant node between clients and server. This allows players behind NAT to be able to host.

3. surya2193

surya2193

Thank You for answering this. So unity doesn't offer game hosting services. We will need to buy a dedicated server to host the game.

4. TwoTen

TwoTen

Not neccecarly. I think most UNET games go more towards the player hosted side of things. Where one player hosts the game. But personally, we host our server on Amazon

surya2193 likes this.