Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HoloLens Contest - Enter now for a chance to win a HoloLens dev Edition kit and up to $100,000

Discussion in 'VR' started by Jacob_Unity, May 10, 2017.

1. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

Have a world changing idea for HoloLens?

Submit your ideas for a chance to win up to $100,000, a HoloLens development Edition kit, and a Unity Pro Subscription license!

In addition to 3 prize winners, there will also be five Honorable mentions who will each receive a Unity Pro 12 Months Subscription.

Here's how to get started:

Step 1 – Submit your proposal/idea by sending in art, video, and full details of the idea. You can also send an example of what you’ve built previously. Submissions must be sent by 10 June, 2017.

Step 2 - Unity & Microsoft will review all proposals and select 10 finalists. Each Finalist will then receive on loan a HoloLens Development Edition Kit to begin building the experience.

Step 3 - Begin building your app/experience. Please note below this page are links to helpful technical resources.

Step 4 - Submit the build for review by completing submission form 2 so we can review your app/experience.

For full contest details and to submit your ideas, please visit this page.

microwavesam likes this.
  2. Circool

Circool

From contest rules "ELIGIBILITY" paragraph:
    "previously created a game that has a minimum of 10,000 downloads in the Steam Store, Google Play Store, or Apple’s App Store"
    Can we participate if we are creating pre-operative planning software for surgeons? We have active users (definitely not 10000), and our app is not distributed through app stores.

3. msolis488

msolis488

The whole eligibility thing is gunna put a damper on submissions. What if there are devs that privately distribute their apps? Pretty much the whole enterprise industry, which is what the HoloLens is very useful for, is excluded. What if you have already been developing for HoloLens? Does that at least gain some sort of merit when applying? Also, I'm pretty sure devs with 10,000 downloads or more are focused on improving the product they have already released or at least heavily focused on making games rather than real world applications.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  4. yasen-d

yasen-d

Sounds quite interesting. I have a few questions, though:

1. Do we really need an app (wait, it actually says "game" :?) with 10k downloads? And if that really is a requirement, do apps in the Windows Store count?

2. Are games allowed in the contest? Or should we focus more on useful app (non-game) ideas?

3. Do the finalists not in the top 3 need to return the HoloLens devices? The "official rules" page says that all finalists keep the devices, whereas the main page says that only the top 3 finalists keep them.

5. andreynech

andreynech

I am wondering about 10K downloads requirement too. Is it strictly required? Are there any answers to this question from contest organizers?
    Just decide to post this question again here with the hope to catch attention from official Unity/Microsoft folks.

6. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Sorry that is a mistake, we are removing that from the T&Cs now. You do not need to have 10,000 installs. my apologies.

7. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Sorry that is a mistake, we are removing that from the T&Cs now. You do not need to have 10,000 installs. my apologies.

8. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

9. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Sorry that is a mistake, we are removing that from the T&Cs now. You do not need to have 10,000 installs. my apologies. Yes, games are allowed but Microsoft is looking for world changing ideas that can help people today for example in work, in school, in hospitals, at home etc. You just need to submit your idea before 10 June. Then 10 finalists will be selected to go on to build their app. The HoloLens devices are on loan to finalist but that could be subject to change i.e. we may allow them to keep them

10. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

11. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Sorry that is a mistake, we are removing that from the T&Cs now. You do not need to have 10,000 installs. my apologies. Microsoft is looking for world changing ideas that can help people today for example in work, in school, in hospitals, at home etc. You just need to submit your idea before 10 June. Then 10 finalists will be selected to go on to build their app. The HoloLens devices are on loan to finalist but that could be subject to change i.e. we may allow them to keep them

12. Jesus

Jesus

It says the application has to be developed for the UWP, but does that specifically mean that it must be released on the Windows Store at some point throughout the competition? Is distribution required at all?

What about a distinct "lite/pro" version split, where only the lite app is released (if needed), with the pro version being something a little more sophisticated.

13. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi Jesus, yes, we will ask the 10 finalists to submit their app/experience to the Windows Store once complete.
    I'd recommend you submit the full app if possible.
    Thanks,
    Jo

14. Jesus

Jesus

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Just from a quick Google, looks like you need to register to sell stuff on the Windows Store, and that's $20usd for an individual, or $100usd for a company/developer (like Gaben announced for Steam). Royalties seem to be a bit better than Steam, Googlestore, etc which was a bit surprising. Price range for the store is free, and 1.49 to 999.99 in preset intervals.

15. asa989

asa989

Hi, I have some questions:

1- I am Iranian but im student in USA and I also have job authorization from US government. can I participate?

2- My Idea is definitely problem solving but its mostly for governments, big organizations or industries not for regular people. would that be fine to participate?

3- can we fake data? for instance, imagine that im going to show parts of a car. but i dont know real sizes of those parts, and the car factory wouldnt give me those information. can I made up size for those parts by myself?

4- can we use VS 2017 instead of 2015?

Thank you very much.

16. asa989

asa989

in submission form it ask for company name. what if im an indie and not a company? can I participate?

17. JulianQ

JulianQ

Hello to the unity-team and all other pariticipants of the contest!
    I have a rather urgent question:
    After submitting all the required data on the website i did not receive any type of confirmation email.
    Is this on purpose? (maybe other participants can tell me if they recieved any email)

If not I'd need to resubmit my idea ASAP. (the deadline is coming!)

18. Jesus

Jesus

I panicked a bit too, but it did eventually come through for me.

19. JulianQ

JulianQ

I accidentally submitted the Form twice now. The emails later showed up in the "advertisment" tab of gmail... narf.

20. fubb

fubb

Hello,My question is" if we were not the 10 finalists which announced on 16 June" Can we still buy the devices by ourselves and completing submission form 2 to be the final prize winner and get the 100,000 dollars ?

21. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to chime in an inform you that due to the overwhelming amount of submissions that Microsoft has received, just around 1,000 total, the winners will not be announced today. We hope to have them selected and announced sometime around June 23rd. Please stay tuned until then!

DanMoov2 and Circool like this.
  22. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

I believe the 100,000 grand prize is only open to the projects who were selected to continue as a finalist. I'll let you know if I hear otherwise.

23. Tiago-Moraes

Tiago-Moraes

Hi Buhlaine, Thanks about the results delay.
    I forgot how many times F5 was pressed here today :p
    Thanks

24. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the late response, yes this contest is open to all Indies as well as companies. I hope you were able to submit your idea on time :)

25. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

That is correct. Once we announce the 10 finalists, we will ship a HoloLens devkit to them to begin developing their idea. Then in November, once their experience is build and published on the Windows store we will judge those 10 finalists' projects and announce the winner of the $100K, $30K and $20K prizes.

26. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, we'd love for you to develop your idea whether you are a finalist or not, but only the 10 finalists will qualify for a chance to win the cash prizes. Thanks

27. nudpakun

nudpakun

What time to announce today?

KingOfSnake likes this.
  28. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, we have now selected our 10 finalists. We will be reaching out to them first to announce they are a finalist and then will announce it on our forum and via social media within a week or so. I really apologize for the delay but we needed to make sure we judged 1,000+ entries equally and fairly. I hope you can understand.

29. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

30. trzy

trzy

Is the private announcement to the finalists being sent today?

31. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

we will send it to them early next week. Thanks!

32. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Crosses fingers am a finalist... would love to develop the idea I submitted. :)

33. zugsoft

zugsoft

I think everybody would like to be a finalist :).
    I work mainly for hospital, and I know exactly what we have to create for some patient.

34. MatrixInception

MatrixInception

10 out of 1000, this sure is exciting!

35. ed_dev

ed_dev

Well, lets wait, i would like to be a finalist!

36. trzy

trzy

I bring a message from Microsoft's CEO!
    Satya Nadella.
    By command of his most merciful excellency, your efforts are to be recognized.
    Developers you were, and developers you'll remain.
    But the terrible penalty of waiting in agony for the contest results has been set aside...

... on the single condition that you identify one finalist from among yourselves!

I'm the finalist!

I'm the finalist!

No, I'm the finalist!

(Everyone): I'm the finalist!

poshaughnessey and efge like this.
  37. zugsoft

zugsoft

Awesome, congrats.
    So I am not a finalist, I received nothing.

38. trzy

trzy

It was a joke, relax ;) I don't think anything has been announced yet.

39. danielkornev

danielkornev

Just wondering if anyone got the email already or not yet...

40. nudpakun

nudpakun

Me.. NOT YET.

winterkewl and danielkornev like this.
  41. trzy

trzy

Haha! Who else is going crazy with anticipation? I even went to see a psychiatrist today!

Me: I'm still having these dreams, Doctor. And I still can't stop myself from believing them.

Doctor: I've told you, Mr. Hofstadter, to believe in one's dreams is a manifestation of insanity and the sooner you accept this, the sooner you'll get well.

Me: But I dreamed that Alex Kipman appeared, and whispered into my ear, and told me who the HoloLens Contest finalists were!

Doctor: And what exactly did he say?

Me: What difference does that make? This was a dream, a fantasy, I mean you said--

Doctor: SHUT UP HOFSTADTER AND TELL ME WHO THE FINALISTS ARE!

42. Jomareo

Jomareo

@Jo-Ryall Hi there, just wondering if the finalists have been sent emails yet. We're all on the edge of our seats!

nudpakun and trzy like this.
  43. proksi

proksi

Think this may have been an idea grab...they don't really care about the finalists...they just needed ideas for developing HoloLens Unity apps.

nudpakun likes this.
  44. trzy

trzy

That's rather far fetched. What's more likely is they've been trying to confirm which of the finalists will actually follow through and participate, so that the HoloLenses are shipped only to those that are serious about the contest.

Still, it would be nice to have some updates even if this is the case.

mcl-dev likes this.
  45. zugsoft

zugsoft

A lot of people here have only 1 post or 2 :D:D:D:D

46. proksi

proksi

Actually, most contests, of this type, are idea grabs mostly, I'd be surprised if it wasn't...that said only such talk will work... you'll see they'll have to publish something soon.

I know someone who helped organize such contests before and have been told that..it's much cheaper than paying for your own firm's research and development.

It'd be nice if they would offer tech help to all participants and I don't mean by just allowing us to use the HoloLens.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  47. LucasRizzotto

LucasRizzotto

Be reasonable, people. Microsoft and Unity would never partner up just to organize a scam to steal ideas (which on their own aren't even that valuable in the first place). They probably were just overwhelmed by the response and things got out of control quick. This is the first contest of this kind that they organized and it's likely they are scrambling to get everything running properly, ceasing to respond because setting new deadlines obviously isn't working in their favor - better to just focus on actually getting things done.

Let them take their time, we'll know the results eventually.

48. nudpakun

nudpakun

They can late, they can anything but they should to announce to us, what they are working. And we should not post to ask about something on this forum. It should be public.

andreynech likes this.
  49. Rajit_P

Rajit_P

Any news at all? Did anyone get the mail? @Tiago-Moraes Did you buy that hololens or were you sent that?

50. zugsoft

zugsoft

For the previous contest, Microsoft contacted all winners by email, and asked them to say nothing until the Microsoft's official reply.
    I think all winners already got a email.