Search Unity

Holographic remoting running in parallel with another application

Discussion in 'VR' started by jose-araujo, Apr 21, 2017.

1. jose-araujo

jose-araujo

Hi, thanks for great work on the holographic remoting feature!

I was wondering if there is a way to run the holographic remoting together with other applications in the Hololens? I would like to use the holographic remoting to keep virtual content synchronized between the Hololens and a desktop, but then have another application to analyze the camera stream from the Hololens at the Hololens and also run another application to send some extra data from the Hololens to the desktop. As I have tried it, the other applications in the Hololens are turned off once holographic remoting is running. Any way to avoid this or suggestions on get this done?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I wrote the same question in this post https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/h...r.441873/?_ga=1.87506384.957070113.1492455806 but thought it would be easier to just create a new post on the specific question

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

3. jose-araujo

jose-araujo

Thanks for the help @Unity_Wesley ! I looked into those instructions but I could not figure it out if that could be implemented in Unity. As you say "is not supported by Unity" you mean that that implementation could not be used in Unity? The thing is that what I want to display is already implemented in Unity, so using Unity would really be a must..

Thanks again!

4. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Sorry the path of using remoting this way is something that is not supported by us as feature of the editor. We support the path of remoting through the editor.

5. jose-araujo

jose-araujo

Thanks @Unity_Wesley ! And is it feasible to transfer the Unity content from Unity into an external application in the desktop, and then using that application to send such data to the Hololens, and then transfer the content back to Unity at the Hololens?

6. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

This might be helpful, I think this is more of what you might want.

https://github.com/Microsoft/HoloLensCompanionKit/blob/master/RemotingHostSample/README.md

Holographic Remoting Host
    This code sample shows how to create a desktop or UWP app that provides holographic content via remoting.

Holographic remoting allows your app to host holographic content on a desktop PC, or on a UWP device such as the XBox One, allowing access to more system resources and making it possible to integrate holographic views into existing desktop PC software. This code sample includes desktop, UWP, and UWP XAML projects that all provide remoting content.

This code sample demonstrates the following features that are required for a holographic remoting host:

• Establishes a connection with the HoloLens
    • Receives a data stream with input from a HoloLens
    • Renders content in a virtual holographic view
    • Streams content frames back to the HoloLens in real-time
    For more info, see the holographic remoting documentation.

7. jose-araujo

jose-araujo

Thanks @Unity_Wesley. I had seen that before but from what I understood that is not integrated with Unity or did I miss something? Also, for this application you will need to run the Remoting Player in the Hololens which then does not allow any other application to run in parallel in the Hololens, as it is the same as the Holographic Remoting app.

Do you know if it is feasible to transfer the Unity content from Unity into an external application in the desktop, and then using that application to send such data to the Hololens, and then transfer the content back to Unity at the Hololens?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  8. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

These are the ways that I'm aware of that sounds close to what you guys need. I'm unsure of any other insight I can offer, hopefully someone else in the community has other insight.

I would try asking on the Microsoft HoloLens Forum