Search Unity

Holograms jitter when using Holographic Emulation

Discussion in 'VR' started by mrwellmann, Mar 23, 2017.

1. mrwellmann

mrwellmann

When I use the Holographic Emulation feature in Unity my holograms as well as for example the SpatialMapping from the Unity Holo-Toolkit jitter. When I deploy the application run it on the Hololens this does not happen.

I also tested the non Unity example (https://github.com/Microsoft/HoloLensCompanionKit/tree/master/RemotingHostSample) and there was no jitter.

Anybody else has the same experience?
    Is this a problem of the Unity implementation?
    Can I do anything to remove the jitter?

2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Which feature of Holographic Emulation are you seeing the problem? In Remoting there is jitter present in the holograms, this is from a change introduced by Microsoft and I believe is a known issue.

3. mrwellmann

mrwellmann

Thanks for the reply. Yes I mean with Remoting. I couldn't find it on the Issue tracker. Would it help if I open a case?

4. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

We are aware of jitter, if you would like to add a case for it you can, but there is not much on our end we can do since it is a Microsoft dll.

5. sstannus

sstannus

I'm not sure that that's correct. The RemotingHostSample he's referring to runs smoothly and is using the 2016.7.28.1 version of HolographicStreamerDesktop.dll, which seems to be the latest version on NuGet. Unity comes with 2016.7.26.2 and replacing it with 2016.7.28.1 doesn't stop it from running but also doesn't seem to remove the jittering. The other relevant DLLs (Microsoft.Perception.Simulation.dll and PerceptionSimulationManager.dll) seem to be at the same version for both.

Perhaps Microsoft changed something on the HoloLens device itself that the Unity Holographic Remoting extension (is that PerceptionRemotingPlugin.dll?) isn't taking into account, but their RemotingHostSample code example shows that it's still possible to do remoting without jitter, so it seems like it should be fixable on your end (or was it Microsoft who wrote the plugin?).

This all might not seem like a big deal for the prototyping/testing use case that this feature seems to be targetting, but I think Unity is missing a much bigger opportunity here; smooth remoting would be extremely useful for any HoloLens app developer who wants to render any serious amount of geometry, use more advanced visual effects like dynamic lighting or access non-UWP functionality. Without this fix, Unity apps could look much worse graphically in comparison to any other (e.g., DirectX) apps that leverage this feature.