Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[SOLVED] Hold on... I cant, I need to compile the project in a hour!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ravel, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Ravel

Ravel

Phase 1. Re-importing assets
    Phase 2. Calculating Hashes
    Phase 3. Doing random stuff

Every single time I switch a project, is this really necessary? As I understand Unity creates some sort of temporary files per project that are stored in Temp folder per project. So why recreate them every time? Seems like a bad workflow. It's time consuming, especially on a ~15 gig project. To be more precise the size doesn't matter, the file count does.

Is there a way to disable this process?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, the process is absolutely required. There are however, many strategies for dealing with it, that won't cost you much at all.

Each platform requires different files to be optimal, and indeed may have different settings, so Unity converts all media from source to target again, which is where the time goes. It does not judge if you are actually using it or not. Doing this step every time you make a build would be suicidal, so Unity does the step when you switch platforms instead.

For example, projects which have a ton of imported asset store stuff, with example scenes probably not only take up too much space, but take up time to switch platforms. Easily remedied. I keep example scenes for assets in their own project.

You probably have a ton of textures and audio you don't even need.

In any case there's the cache server from Unity and this and this (haven't tested either, just quick search). These are designed to fix the problem/

Considering a ten dollar asset can do it, I do indeed consider Unity's handling of it to be lacking/legacy. It needs some TLC and better handling. I am going to file this one under Unity not having put resources there ;)

3. Ravel

Ravel

Hey, Thanks for the reply! As for the issue, I'm not changing platforms, I'm at one platform at all times. This is why it frustrates me, Unity should have a internal boolean or something that checks if the platform has ever changed before I open up a project imo.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well it has to do this whenever you upgrade a project. If it is doing it during normal operation, something is broken. Perhaps its the nature of how you're storing the project?

I can assure you after all my years of developing in Unity, I haven't had that happen outside of a) upgrading a project b) switching targets

Certainly not just opening it. If you use multiple versions of Unity on the same computer opening the same project, then I can see it happening.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  5. Ravel

Ravel

Yeah I wish my experience was the same with Unity. If I close a project and open it later, it decides to reimport everything, as if the program runs on RAM memory, which is insane to think, if it actually stored everything to ram... Also my experience is that at some point Unity does random importing of small assets. Basically when the program decides to reimport something then that's what it does. This kind of reimporting is a huge waste of time and I wish to get rid of it.

On my end nothing should be broken, but who knows, a small bug from a previous builds can cause a whole lot of mayhem, tho I have had this specific issue since day one with unity. I am dealing with alot of textures and 3d data (race tracks to be more specific) What amazes me is that sometimes indeed there are no issues, as if there were randomly generated trash "trojans" inside of unity, like a lotery lol.

Anyway I wish for a more optimized program as I have been a pro user for ~4 years until they changed their licenses to period limited ones ...so a optimized and a working program is not much asked honestly.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well this is a bug then. You should take it up with Unity via bug reporter tool, or at the very least have a go at figuring out why unity refuses to save information that it has been opened. Perhaps try deleting the library folder completely then loading it twice?

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I had a similar issue when I tried to run a unity project off an external hard drive. Something about the filesystem must have been messing with unity's asset versioning, because it would reimport everything each time I opened the project.