Search Unity

HLAPI with Dedicated Servers?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Deleted User, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is it possible to use HLAPI features like RPC calls, ect with a dedicated server system?

Or if I want to use HLAPI do I have to use a P2P connection?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I found Networking: Server Library in Unitys Roadmap, anybody have an idea of what this will be?

3. donnysobonny

donnysobonny

Currently, features such as matchmaking, relay servers etc (which required third-party servers to provide the service) are the only features that, if you need them, you would struggle to implement yourself.

Any networking system, including unet, is built on the use of sockets. The server sets up sockets that listen on a specified port, while the client remotely connects to the socket over IP on order to create a bi-directional communication between the two. Beyond this, it is possible to create any type of network, whether that's peer-to-peer, client-server, or any other type. Unet's architecture, particularly the architecture of the HLAPI, encourages either a peer-to-peer or client-server setup, but pretty much any setup is possible.

So to answer your question more clearly, RPCs and other HLAPI functionality you can easily implement in your server-side code, build that to an executable, and then run it on your own dedicated server. Features such as matchmaking and relay servers however rely on unity's own servers to provide the services.