Search Unity

High Score entry system. Suggestions, please

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by John_Vella, Aug 7, 2017.

1. John_Vella

John_Vella

I am developing a Space Invaders type game, for Android and maybe iOS, where you move the ship side to side by tilting the phone and shooting by tapping the screen.

It's looking pretty cool at the moment, (I will try to start a new thread to get feedback from this forum at some stage) but I am trying to figure out a way of entering the high score. At the moment, I am thinking of either using a series of buttons or the device keyboard, but am having trouble deciding which to go with, or maybe something completely different.

Do you have any opinions, advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

John.

2. mgear

mgear

random thoughs,
    if its just for entering short name, i'd prefer buttons for each letter,
    and save the name so can just hit submit on 2nd round..or erase if want to change it.
    (imo: it can get annoying if onscreen keyboard popups and hides most of the screen and it doesn't fit the game style anyways)

or,
    if you use some game center type of plugin, i guess you can get the username already..

and-or,
    if its just simple single player local game, i wouldn't care about the name.. just keep scores.

extra-or,
    if there is value for it, player could create profile at start (choose/customize face and enter name)
    and then that data is used to enter highscore.. but not useful if game is really simple.

3. John_Vella

John_Vella

It will be three letters, just like the original. At this point, I don't have any plans for putting high scores online, so it will all be held locally.

The more I think about it, the more I'm liking the buttons option, unless anyone has any more thoughts on this...

4. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Try the scrolling "wheels" where you have to scroll to the letter/number of interest.

Just a suggestion, don't take it as gospel.

5. Serinx

Serinx

I was gonna say the same thing. Keep that retro, nostalgic feel.

6. Habitablaba

Habitablaba

Make it controlled the same way you control the game. Tilt the screen back and forth to move the cursor through the letters, tap to select a letter. You'd need a pretty sizable dead zone and low acceleration, though

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Any reason not to use the default Game Center and Google Play features?

8. John_Vella

John_Vella

Eventually I would like to see this game on Android and iOS, and I believe that Google Play is either no longer working or will no longer work soon, with iOS. The high scores will be stored locally, so I don't have a problem coding a new solution.