Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi I am new to unity I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice!!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by NO1234567, Apr 17, 2017.

1. NO1234567

NO1234567

Hi I am new to unity please can I have some advice??

-thanks!!

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Start with the learn section.

Learn to ask specific questions.

Have fun!

LaneFox, Ryiah, DocJ and 3 others like this.
  3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Never eat spinach with a stranger.

FerretInABox and DocJ like this.
  4. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

You can follow some unity youtubers like Brackeys ;) I started to unity with brackeys videos they are really benefical.

MarkusGod likes this.
  5. Taorcb

Taorcb

Personally, I don't like youtubers now, though I learned most of my bad habits from csharp accent tutorials back when he wrote all of the code "live" (he had notes) on screen.

I'd recommend Unity's tutorials and the learn section.

NO1234567 likes this.
  6. Tset_Tsyung

Tset_Tsyung

Little late to the party, but wanna add to this.

1) As the others have said, do ALL the tutorials. Even if one isn't the genre of games that interests you, there's still soemthing to learn.

2) Go through some of the live training sessions that they have. I've only done a few, but they're really informative.

3) When you're ready to try making your own games from scratch START SIMPLE! Like, super simple. Pong clones, breakout clones - but just add a little something different (1 thing).

4) Then maybe try doing a 'game a week' challenge. This gets your used to putting together the core mechanics of a game pretty quickly.

These are a few things that I've founf useful and that I WISHED had realised sooner.

Hope this helps, welcome to the forums ;)

NO1234567, Kiwasi and JoeStrout like this.
  7. NO1234567

NO1234567

thank you all!! ( except BoredMormon and JoeSnout)

8. lucas_cage

lucas_cage

Please tell us more about your background and your aspirations. Do you have any existing skills related to game development? What type of project do you want to create?

If you are starting from scratch I would recommend learning basic C# as first step. Microsoft Virtual Academy provides a really nice course for programming novices. Next I would move to MVA's Game Development Building Blocks course. Once you completed these you should have a high level view of Unity3d a basic understanding of C#. Next I would complete the Unity3d interface and essentials tutorials to get familiar with the interface. After this done step into the project tutorials and complete the rollerball game.

9. Teila

Teila

Check out Udemy for some inexpensive courses on C# and making games in Unity. I have purchased several and have learned a lot from them. Because they are broken down into sessions, it is easy to fit them into a normal day. :)

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Wait, what did I say? My points were valid.

DocJ, Ryiah and Bill_Martini like this.
  11. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

Probably should let this go but... @BoredMormon gave you the best advice you could possibly have gotten here, and YOU my friend were very rude to him. He answered your question despite the fact you didn't actually ask a question, did you? Franky, @JoeStrout also provided an appropriate answer to your NON question.

There are so many great folks here that are eager to help out others. Treating people rudely is no way to thank them. Exactly how much help can you expect by being a douche?

LaneFox, Taorcb, Teila and 3 others like this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

He could have done it in a far worse manner too. For example by linking the "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way" article.

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Or as I like to call it "How to Not Get Banned with Your First Post on Stack Overflow". :p

Taorcb, Cedebo, Teila and 4 others like this.
  13. Teila

Teila

LOL

BoredMormon has his own somewhat sarcastic direct way of posting. I rather like it. At least I know exactly what he is saying. ;)

Kiwasi likes this.
  14. PRABHBIR123

PRABHBIR123

No tutorials needed. I think that you should try to solve each and every problem in a different way. I am learning unity from last 2 years and know a lot about it. We all learn everyday so it is better not to think what to learn but start doing something in unity

15. Schneider21

Schneider21

I think this is potentially the worst possible advice someone could give.

Tset_Tsyung, Ryiah, Teila and 3 others like this.
  16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Having someone guide you to an existing solution that works will always be faster then forging your own path. You stand to loose a lot by ignoring the significant existing body of knowledge.

What? Why? If you goal is intellectual self gratification, then this might work. If your goal is solving problems, use the existing solutions that work.

Two years is a long time to still be learning the engine. Might I suggest you are going about it the wrong way.

A focused learning path is always faster then an undirected one. Time spent sharpening the axe and all that. It's true you can spend so much time planning your learning that you never get around to actual learning. But taking a few moments to get your head around where to start is a good thing.

17. Teila

Teila

Might I suggest that this is just someone who wants to steer a new person in a bad direction just for kicks? Sorry, but the Unity forums are past that. If you have nothing helpful to say, then don't say it at all.

If you really meant it as a way to learn Unity, it really is the hard way. I suggest to the OP to use what tutorials and courses that are available to you.

Ryiah likes this.
  18. LaneFox

LaneFox

1. Respect other people and their advice.
    2. Use the Learn section of the site.
    3. Use Google to answer questions.
    4. Dont be afraid to break things.
    5. If you must post questions online then be very specific. You will probably solve your question while explaining it in the post. If you can't explain what's is happening and what you expect to happen, then we probably can't help you fix it.
    6. Have fun and make cool things.

19. lucas_cage

lucas_cage

I do not think Prabhir's advice is completely without merit. The suggestion to dive into the deep end of the pool on day one with no floaties is not a sound piece of advice, but discovering things for yourself has its merits and its limits. Before I ever did any tutorials with Unity I spent a few hours tinkering and toying with it.

I was exploring my own creative genius. I made a man out of cubes and circles, I was like a caveman making sparks with flint.

Looking back on it now I realize that I just wasted two hours alternating between wide eyed optimism, utter confusion and the occasional smile when my trivial experiments resulted in something mildly amusing. If I had continued this course of action I would have completed a game with the complexity of roll-a-ball in about 2 months.

If you really want to spend weeks or even months learning to do what you could learn to do in the next few hours in order to worship at the alter of intellectual discovery then so be it, but if you really just want to make games. Do the tutorials.

If you have a hunger for intellectual discovery (as you should) spend time building on what you learn in the tutorials adding features to the games you create in tutorials. Should the roll-a-ball be able to jump. Should the board be a maze? In the space shooter should the craft have depleting shields or alternate weapons? My point is do the tutorials, but do more than the tutorials. This in my opinion is the most efficient course of action.

No matter which course you take please know that this is a strong helpful community, but like any neophyte you must know to gain its goodwill and extract its knowledge. When requesting assistance one cannot simply scream for help. You will need to express to the community the specify nature of the help you require. Provide us with detailed information so we may assist you.

Lastly welcome, I look forward to interacting with you in the future. Good Luck on your game!

20. PRABHBIR123

PRABHBIR123

I don't want that a person should take my advice as wrong. You might not have understood what I want to convey in my advice. I told that we learn everyday so what's wrong in that I am sure you all are not perfect in everything and you all learn it everyday. Secondly I told that no tutorials needed I don't want that you not watch those tutorials but only watching will not make you a game developer. Just explore unity. No one knows where it will take you.

21. PRABHBIR123

PRABHBIR123

Best advice would be trying yourself taking help from tutorials. Not just creating the same way the way which is shown in tutorials. If you just experiment unity you will get something new for sure.

22. PRABHBIR123

PRABHBIR123

I don't want to steer that person in a wrong way but if think my post was like that sorry for that.

23. Teila

Teila

Everyone learns differently. There are many who learn from tutorials, hence places like Patreon and the zillions of YouTube tutorials out there and their popularity. I think it is fine to talk about how you learn but to tell newcomers, some who might be quite young, that they should not use the tutorials is really harmful. Following along exactly like the tutorial says is very useful and then you can start adding your own touch.

First though, one must learn. And whatever way they learn is best. Most of us do not learn well if we just jump in. We end up leaving holes in our learning and eventually have to go back and fill in those wholes. A good example is something like coding or even math. Having some organization to your learning so that you learn what you need as you progress is important and it makes this less confusing once they become more difficult.

Ryiah likes this.
  24. Ryiah

Ryiah

Additionally like @lucas_cage mentioned the difference in learning speed between following along with the tutorials is much faster than trying to dive in head first and make sense of everything on your own. Skipping the tutorials is perfectly fine if your goal is to still be stuck on the very basics of the engine after a couple of years, but most people actually want to make games and the tutorials will have you making them within a month.

Schneider21 likes this.
  25. AscendDev

AscendDev

The whole issue is how much you know starting out. About OOP, C#, Game Design, etc. The various tutorials are good starting points and I suggest going through those, but also doing a project of your own. Not necessarily for publication, but to help you put what you have learned into practice. And when you get stuck hit YouTube and type Unity Saving Games or Unity UI or whatever you need help with.

Taorcb and Kiwasi like this.