Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HeroKit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AntFitch, Aug 12, 2017.

1. AntFitch

AntFitch

FREE

Make your dream game with or without programming. Source code included.
    Make a massive game FAST. Good for designers and indies. Loads of tutorials to get you started. Visual scripting.
    Roadmap | Tutorials | Answers | Actions

Fork it on Github!

HeroKit

Be your own game making hero!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

looks interesting. Does it contain Load and Save actions?

3. AntFitch

AntFitch

Yes it does.

Here is the Load Game action
    Here is the Save Game action

There are hundreds of actions, You can get the full list here.

Unlike traditional visual scripting systems where an action represents a line of code in a method, actions in HeroKit are built to represent a larger method. The result is much better performance and less visual scripting.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Duffer123 likes this.
  4. AntFitch

AntFitch

Because screenshots are tasty...

HeroKit comes with several player controllers and camera controllers. You can mix and match them to create a unique experience for your players. You can swap them out during gameplay with an action or two. In this scene, the knight is using Player Controller B action, which lets the player use the traditional keyboard keys to move the player left, right, up, down. We've also attached Third-Person Camera On action to him. This makes the camera follow the knight from a distance. You can set lots of properties for the camera (how close is it to knight, what angle, how smooth it should follow, etc).

More goodies to come! If you can't wait, you can learn more about HeroKit here.

Bhanshee00 likes this.
  5. AntFitch

AntFitch

In this scene, we have six hero objects (dark priests). They were all created with a hero object template called Dark Priest HO. We've attacked one of the dark priests and used a particle effect on it. You can use particle effects on one or a group of hero objects. Or you can use them in a specific location in a scene. You don't have to add particle effects to your game objects yourself. You simply choose the particle effect you want to use in HeroKit and HeroKit will do the rest. Particle effects are pooled so you can reuse the same effects over and over again without creating new game objects or components.

More goodies to come! If you can't wait, you can learn more about HeroKit here.

6. AntFitch

AntFitch

One of the most important things that we added to HeroKit was a dialog system. This system is robust enough to make a Visual Novel. I'll show more examples of what can be done with this system, but in this screenshot, you can see one example of how you can use it.
    • You choose the font, color, and size of the text for title, description, and option text.
    • You can show portraits beside or behind the text (we chose none).
    • You can choose how you want your choices to appear (we choose horizontal).
    • You can use rich-text formatting.
    • You can insert variables into your text.
    • You can create dialog branches.
    • You can display text all at once or attach a speed to it.
    • You can choose a background for the message window and buttons. You can also set the transparency of these things.
    • You can localize your dialog.

Bhanshee00 and chiapet1021 like this.
  7. Duffer123

Duffer123

I am looking at buying this asset and looking forward to seeing what the further rpg elements/enhancements will be...

8. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

does it support projectiles for shooting guns?

9. AntFitch

AntFitch

Yes. And you can also pool those projectiles.

The RPG-specific elements will be created in November after we've added full 2D support.

10. Duffer123

Duffer123

@AntFitch ,

I've bought this Asset now and just started delving. Ive gone through the 8 youtibe tutorials already... is the idea you're going to continue with those ie. 9, 10, 11 etc.,

Are there any tutorials on building an inentory of items and can an inventory differentiate between say weapons, armour, clothes, currency and so forth?

11. AntFitch

AntFitch

Right now, the inventory menu is very simple. Follow these steps to use the default inventory menu:
    http://aveyond.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18914-tutorial-the-inventory-menu/

There are a few options for creating an inventory menu:
    • You can create your own inventory menus. Just use the default inventory menu as an example. If you want to go this route, I'll create a tutorial to show you how to create a custom inventory menu & action to go along with it.
    • You can get an inventory menu from the asset store. If you do this, let me know which one you got and I'll show you how to hook it up with HeroKit.

Duffer123 likes this.
  12. Duffer123

Duffer123

@AntFitch ,

In due course a tutorial or 3 would be king. From starter to advanced it could cover (fantasy wish list!):-

- basic inventory use;
    - stackable items;
    - drag n drop;
    - action bars;
    - sorting or filtering items by types and subtypes;
    - things like item rarity and renown;
    - character/equipment ui;
    - currency ie. Gold pieces, silver pieces etc and conversion;
    - books and paperwork;
    - plans and recipes;
    - items containers which contain other items;
    - items requiring other items;
    - crafting and craft tables;
    - equiping/equipment slots/clothing;
    - item comparison ui and pop-ups;
    - multiple inventories; and..... ;)
    - item affixes, socketing, rng, loot tables.

Well, if I don't ask.... ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Team21Dev and AntFitch like this.
  13. AntFitch

AntFitch

It's a decent list. I'll see what I can do.

Duffer123 likes this.
  14. AntFitch

AntFitch

I've created a sample project that you can download here. This will help with the fundamentals:

-basic inventory
    -stackable items

Let's take a closer look at the other requests now. HeroKit is going to have several building blocks released in the next few months. Some of these requests will be released with these building blocks. Let's take a closer look at what is coming. Please also keep in mind that you can build any of these yourself or download menu systems from the asset store and use them with HeroKit. If anyone is using asset store menus, let me know and I will work with you to make sure HeroKit works with them.

- basic inventory use; (supported now)
    - stackable items; (supported now)
    - drag n drop; (i'll add support to next release)
    - action bars; (need more info. do you have an example?)
    - sorting or filtering items by types and subtypes; (to be added in rpg release)
    - things like item rarity and renown; (to be added in rpg release)
    - character/equipment ui; (to be added in rpg release)
    - currency ie. Gold pieces, silver pieces etc and conversion; (actions supported now, but needs custom menu)
    - books and paperwork; (will create custom inventory tutorial for this)
    - plans and recipes; (to be added to crafting release)
    - items containers which contain other items; (let's chat about this. might be complex.)
    - items requiring other items; (supported now via actions)
    - crafting and craft tables; (to be added to crafting release)
    - equiping/equipment slots/clothing; (to be added to rpg release)
    - item comparison ui and pop-ups; (to be added to rpg release)
    - multiple inventories; and..... ;) (will create custom inventory tutorial for this)
    - item affixes, socketing, rng, loot tables. (to be added to rpg release)

RPG date = Dev on this starts in November.
    Crafting date = Dev on this starts in February.
    (September to November = adding 2D support. After this, work on specific game types begins.)

Bhanshee00, Duffer123 and LoDx like this.
  15. LoDx

LoDx

Hi @AntFitch ,
    Well, this is indeed a great asset ! Congratz!
    Question :-
    1. Any plan for multiplayer ? Photon and/or uNet.
    - hopefully both, and let buyers have to option to choose which to adapt. ( I probably prefer Photon as it's more mature as current stage, just my personal preference)
    2. Mobile control support ? ( movement joystick / touch support especially the UI , items system..etc )

Thanks
    James

16. Duffer123

Duffer123

@AntFitch ,

Thanks for such a quick and comprehensive response both here and on on your own site forums...

Action Bars... here i am talking about usually the horizontal tileset of button icons , ui that's usually seen at the bottom of the screen, that scale back up visually after use and would include say drinking a heal potion or clicking your special attack ability(s) or other active activated abilities. That sort of thing. Think Guild Wars 2 or World of Warcraft.

17. AntFitch

AntFitch

If you want multiplayer, I will add it to the list. What kind of games are you making?

We have basic mobile control support right now (drag, tap, etc). Do you have specific input requests? I can add these to the top of the list.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Brian-Ryer likes this.
  18. AntFitch

AntFitch

Yes. I've already built this for an unreleased crafting game. I can easily bring this over.

19. Duffer123

Duffer123

@AntFitch ,

Excellent. Look forward to it.

AntFitch likes this.
  20. LoDx

LoDx

Hi @AntFitch ,
    Thanks !!
    - just much like what your asset already cover most part of RPG genre, but adding in the option for multiplayer .

- well, nothing that of really special, just :-
    1. Joystick for movement.
    - this might looks easy for some, but an asset that comes with movement joystick support could saves time ( and possibly headaches ) for some buyers.

2. The mobile support for various UI/components interaction, eg: inventory, skill menu, crafting..etc
    - at surface, this might sound easy, but at deeper looks, it actually involve making those menu, components, triggers, actions...etc . Thus, it 'might not' just a simple task, it could dwells into various part for integration depending on how the asset works among its components.

Overall, just looking at it for developing a game that functions on Mobile Device .
    Sincerely
    Thanks
    James

21. AntFitch

AntFitch

I was hoping you would say that. RPGs are my specialty. I'll see what I can do, but understand I won't be able to get to this until after January. (2D support, and RPG modules are coming first).

We've got full support for this. Currently mouse, touch, keyboard, and joystick are supported. In addition, these scenarios are also supported: input X and Y = trigger event, input X or Y = trigger event. You can also use both of the scenarios together. You can learn more about input here. (Run event > Run an event when the player uses the keyboard, mouse, joystick, etc)

I agree, this will be no easy task, but it is an important one. I've built a lot of these in Unity for another project. I need some time to think about how best to move forward with these menus. This is going to be addressed in November.

Absolutely. This is what I love the most about Unity. Multi-platform support. I'll keep everyone updated on what's coming next via this thread. Definitely flag this thread for November. That's when I'm going to put my full focus on RPG-specific features and RPG menus. At that time, it might be the asset you need.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Bhanshee00 and LoDx like this.
  22. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    Sorry but i can't access the functions list from where i am and i was very impatient to ask you few things.

Looks great! but i'm not sure i understand all the possibilities...Sorry for my noob questions:
    -Inside there is a Third person controller right? Like the ones from Oopsive or Ootii?
    -A third person camera?
    Does it have solid solution for slope limit on terrain or meshes?

So if i have a model, lots of animations but no Tpcontroller, with HeroKit i'll be able to create one?
    Can it go as deep as a Zelda style controller?
    If i want to add layers for fighting swimming is it possible? Is there any solution for climbing in HeroKit?

Can you compare this asset to a third person controller on the store?

Many thanks in advance for your answers

23. AntFitch

AntFitch

There is a third person controller. You can also use a third person controller from another asset with HeroKit. If you get HeroKit, let me know and we can work together to set it up.

Yes, it comes with a third person camera. You would need to customize it for slope limit on terrain or meshes.

Yes.

It could. But you would need to add your custom code to make this happen.

Yes, this is possible.

You can create an event with actions to do this. No programming needed. In general, any special moves like this can be evented with actions.

HeroKit is a framework that supports third person controllers (or any other controller type that you want to use). It comes with a default third person controller that lets you run around in any direction. If you are just looking for a robust third person controller, I would get one from a company like Opsive, who has been working specifically on controllers for years. HeroKit makes it easy for you to build complex worlds, NPCs, AI, etc.

Absolutely. Good luck in your search.

24. eaque

eaque

I guess i understand better! Many thanks for your prompt answer
    cheers!

25. kukuhbasuki

kukuhbasuki

Hi, your asset is looks interesting. Does it come with example games/scenes?

AntFitch likes this.
  26. Duffer123

Duffer123

@kukuhbasuki ,
    Just to confirm this Asset does come with example scenes and demi-games.
    Also, it is still being very actively developed and taken further, which is the best thing about it.

AntFitch likes this.
  27. Duffer123

Duffer123

@AntFitch ,

Having (I hope) gained some understanding of HeroAction fields, I've created numerous custom HeroActions (quite easily when I got the hang of it) for converting variables in to other variable types, for a variety of actions on Strings and for DiceRolls parsing/support.

I've posted all of those custom HeroActions to the Aveyond website HeroKit forum. Enjoy!

Just to let the community know it's quite easy to create custom HeroActions to suit your own needs and to build on the core functionality of this top asset... ;)

AntFitch likes this.
  28. AntFitch

AntFitch

Everyone, Duffer123 is building some cool actions. You should check out his Diceroll action here. And to help anyone else who wants to create your own action, we've got some slick video tutorials to get you up and running quickly.

If you make an awesome action, we've got a place for you to show off your skills. You can upload your actions for the community here.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  29. FractalCore

FractalCore

In the User Guide pdf, on page 17 it says...

"Change the scale of your prefab. Most prefabs are 1 x 1 x 1, which in HeroKit is the equivalent of 1 square pixel. To do this, click on your prefab in the Project tab. In the Inspector tab, change the values in the scale field. In this example, we’ve resized the prefab (Scale: 40, 40, 40) (x=width, y=height, z=depth)"

This seems a little alarming, I hope I've misunderstood. Is it a requirement that we have to build worlds at 100 times the usual scale? Because I thought the 1 unit = 1 m scale was a given. Or was this just because a character on the asset store was built too small and needed scaling up.

30. AntFitch

AntFitch

No need to be worried. This is only for folks who downloaded models that were built too small.

31. Duffer123

Duffer123

AntFitch likes this.
  32. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I am really torn between getting this and RPG All-in-one. I am thinking that eventually this will be able to do what that does plus more (for example, 2D RPGs.) However, could this easily be used for Shoot Em Ups and Beat Em' Ups (side scrolling like Double Dragon)? I am curious about Herokit's flexibility and current capabilities.

33. AntFitch

AntFitch

It's a tough call. HeroKit will give you more flexibility but RPG All-in-one will give you the ability to create a RPG game immediately. HeroKit has a robust visual scripting system that lets you customize how objects behave with each other, the camera, mouse, keyboard, etc. RPG All-in-one has a nice suite of editors specifically for RPGs (leveling, crafting, etc).

Building a suite of RPG-specific tools for HeroKit is my next mission, but first I'm cleaning up the current 2D and 3D movement system. (two weeks at most).

In the next update, here are some actions you can use together on a player hero object to create different types of games:

3D FPS game:
    First Person Camera action +
    FPS Player Controller 3D action

3D Top-Down RPG or Adventure game:
    Third Person Camera action +
    RPG Player Controller 3D action

2D Platformer:
    2D Camera action +
    Platformer Controller 2D action

2D RPG or SIM game:
    2D Camera action +
    RPG Controller 2D action

Eventually, HeroKit is going to be incredibly powerful. A lot of frameworks are inflexible but do very specific things. HeroKit was built so we could easily morph it.

So, the answer boils down to how soon you need to deploy your game. If you're tinkering on a long-term project and you want to be part of the core community that decides what RPG features HeroKit should have, HeroKit is probaby a good match. BUT, if you have time constraints and you need to get an RPG out there quickly, RPG All-in-one is a fine solution.

I would also like to mention that you can attach a hero object to any game object. You can use them as micro databases. If RPG All-in-one doesn't overwrite game objects, you could conceivably use HeroKit to add more power to RPG All-in-one.

StevenPicard likes this.
  34. WoodenDragon

WoodenDragon

@AntFitch,

I've been watching the progress on this for a while now and I really like what I see. The presentation of the Hero Objects are wonderful. I love that you can see all of the state, events, variables, properties, etc associated to it all in one spot.

I do however have a few questions if you don't mind...
    • Does HeroKit support point and click movement?
    • It's hard to tell how robust HeroKit's Dialogue and Questing systems are from the small amount of examples shown. Are there any more detailed examples of these systems in action?
    • Would it be feasible to integrate with the following assets from Pixel Crushers?
    • Can HeroKit work in conjunction with C# scripts and variables attached to objects?
    • I haven't seen any combat in any of the videos. What type of combat does HeroKit support or have planned?
    • What are your plans for inventory?
    I'd love to utilize one asset for everything but it's hard to find an all-in-one that has everything I'm looking for...

Thanks so much for your time!

LoDx likes this.
  35. AntFitch

AntFitch

@WoodenDragon
    Thanks for watching, WoodenDragon. Let's take a look at that list to see where things are at.

Point and click movement support
    • An action for this will be added as we build out in-depth RPG support in the coming months. 3D will come first, 2D to follow. Technically, you can do this now, but the solution is a bit verbose. The 3D action will be extremely easy for me to create if this is something you need soon. I'm keeping a tally of what everyone wants here.
    Dialog system and questing system:
    • The dialog system is advanced, the questing system is not.
    • Here is the action that you can use to create each dialog blurb: Show Message Action.
    • And here is the action that you can use to customize your dialog system: Change Message Settings.
    • The questing system simply lets you turn a quest on and off. So, if an NPC gives you a task, this task can be turned on and off.
    • I plan to make the dialog system more robust. The default questing system will stay as is, but I plan to create custom questing systems for specific types of games (RPGs, SIMs, FPS, etc). RPG will come first.
    • Creating sample scenes that folks in the public can play are on my to-do-list. There are a lot of sample scenes, but they are only available in the paid product itself. I've created a ticket to keep this issue on the radar.
    You should be able to create your own custom actions (with C#) that connect directly to assets from Pixel Crushers. Here is tutorial to show you how to do this.

HeroKit can work in conjunction with C# scripts and variables attached to objects. These actions are available to do this:
    Right now, HeroKit has support for in-scene fighting. You'll need to build the actions to specify how you want this to work. However, I would like to build specific types of fighting systems. For RPGs, turn-based battles are a big item on my hit list. How this works out? I'm not sure yet, but it is on my short-term trajectory. I have old RPG games to port into HeroKit myself, and some of them are turn-based.

HeroKit has a simple inventory system right now. You can add items and remove them, items can be stacked, and you can execute actions when an inventory item is used. When I get the ticket above addressed, it will have an inventory demo for everyone to try out.

I hope this helps. Expect HeroKit to evolve as it's in its infancy right now.

36. WoodenDragon

WoodenDragon

@AntFitch,

Thanks for taking the time to thoroughly provide answers to my questions.

Yes, 3D point and click movement with a smooth camera follow/zoom would be at the top of my priority list.

Just a few more quick questions:
    • Are there currently any options for in-scene object interaction menus? Something like being able to mouse-over an object you set as interactable and it will display a list of action options/icons that could be performed...
    • What options are there for data storage (Databases, Scriptable Objects, variables, etc...), how configurable are they (e.g. being able to set custom properties for items, types, skills, etc...) and what types of interactions can occur (query, insert, update, delete, etc...)?
    Very much appreciated!

37. AntFitch

AntFitch

@WoodenDragon

There are no in-scene object interaction menus. When I work on a SIM package for HeroKit (after RPG), this is something that will be included, but this is at least six months out. Otherwise, you'll need to create this or purchase an asset that already does this specifically and connect it to HeroKit via a custom action.

Each Hero Object comes with these variable types: Int, Float, Bool, String, Game Object, Hero Object, Unity Object.

When the player saves a game, each hero object in the game is saved. This is the specific data that is saved for a hero object:
    • Hero Object name, location, position, size, scene
    • On each hero object: Current state, Integers, Floats, Bools, Strings
    • Data is saved in JSON format.
    • This search might shed some more light about the save system.
    A note about saving: If you have complex data to save, I would create/set this data when you activate a state on a hero object. If you have a specific save scenario in mind, let me know.

38. magg

magg

UWP support?

39. AntFitch

AntFitch

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  40. AntFitch

AntFitch

We've added 2D support. HeroKit can now create both 2D and 3D games. It can also act as a database system if you need a place to store and save data for your game.

Currently, we're moving on to our next goal to create toolkits for specific types of games (RPG, SIM, FPS, Adventure, etc). First up is our RPG toolkit, which will let you create an RPG without coding. To get started, we're working on the Items Database. I'm still figuring out how you'll add actions. Most likely, I'll create a section inside the item page where you can add actions. This database is specifically for items that you cannot equip... things like potions or things you need to collect to complete a quest. Items you can equip will have separate databases.

And as always, if you have specific requests for your RPG, please head over to our forum for HeroKit where you can participate in the direction of the RPG toolkit.

LoDx and Duffer123 like this.
  41. Duffer123

Duffer123

@AntFitch ,

Looking good! Hey! Why aren't potions equippable? Ever carried liquids on your person? I know I have (booze).

Seriously, I've posted some thoughts on item types, subtypes and other potential item fields on the HeroKit forum.

It must be really hard weighing being too prescriptive in setting up the Rpg toolkit versus allowing users to customise themselves...

42. AntFitch

AntFitch

@Duffer123, it's a good list. Kudos for adding it. There will be an item systems for both JRPG and WRPG.

The item database will have a few interfaces to choose from, depending upon the type of inventory system you need. And you can use actions to add items to one menu type or another.

Speaking of... if anyone has a decent royalty-free menu interface to suggest, let us know.

Duffer123 likes this.
  43. WoodenDragon

WoodenDragon

@AntFitch, I purchased this about a month or so ago, but really haven't had the opportunity to utilize it yet; however, it really looks to be progressing nicely!

I am especially excited about the databases and the corresponding interfaces you are creating. They really look fantastic! I've been ease-dropping on your Aveyond forum from time to time to check on progress.

Do you plan on releasing the databases and actions as you finish them or will they all be part of one big rpg update? Do you have any ETA's on the release of this?

I don't know much about your inventory system yet, but I am hoping it is customizable and can integrate with other assets easily, as the current solution I'm using has been way more cumbersome then it should be... :eek:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    AntFitch likes this.
  44. AntFitch

AntFitch

@WoodenDragon, thanks for watching that thread. The plan is to release the system as it is built on the aveyond.com forums. When it’s complete, I’ll launch it on the asset store as an addon for HeroKit.

Keep an eye on the HeroKit forum. It may take 3-4 months to release the first part of the system. The overwhelming desire of developers is a system that is highly customizable, so this is where it is going.

As long as third-party systems have a decent API, actions can be created. HeroKit was meant to work alongside just about anything.

45. aaronhm7

aaronhm7

I was wondering if this Hero asset kit can be used with out a nav mesh or does it need to have a nave mesh?

thanks,

Aaronhm7

46. AntFitch

AntFitch

@aaronhm7, If you would like to use the pathfinding actions that come with HeroKit, yes, you will have to generate a navmesh. If you want to use a custom pathfinding solution from the asset store, I can help you create a custom actions that work with it. If you have specific asset in mind, let me know and I'll take a look at it.

47. aaronhm7

aaronhm7

thank yo for yor reply

Iam just wondering if i can use the hero asset with out a nav mesh, because i am building RPG games that do not use any nave mesh,

I like your hero asset though and if i cant use it now (because it uses a nav mesh), maybe in the future i will purchase it and make a game that uses nave mesh.

basicaly what i saying; i do not want to spend the money and buy the hero asset if i cant use it because it needs to have a nav mesh.

Aaronhm7

48. AntFitch

AntFitch

@aaronhm7, I can confirm that you do not need a navmesh to use HeroKit, unless you use the pathfinding action.

49. AntFitch

AntFitch

HeroKit is a visual scripting system full of actions that are ready to make your game come alive. Unlike most visual scripting systems which only provide low-level actions (change int, change property, etc), HeroKit comes dozens of high-level actions (add items, pathfinding, save game) that let you build a functional game fast.

50. Ignatios

Ignatios

Hey! Your asset looks promising! My main concern is I am wanting to make a D&D esque game where it will have up to 6 player multiplayer (all on the same team so to speak of course they can still damage eachother etc), really, I am wondering if you will support multiplayer or if it is at least able to be implemented on our end? Please get back with me! I posted on your website but no information there, bellc151826@gmail.com