Search Unity

Help test my Unity Social app for android!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MD_Reptile, Feb 16, 2017.

1. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Hey guys, I have been working on a little side project where I have tried to create a "social location based app" using m̶a̶p̶b̶o̶x̶ ̶s̶d̶k̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶u̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ (removed, lots of problems), and google firebase sdk for unity as the main guts of it.

For now, I call it "Magnet" - even came up with a nifty logo :D

It is still rough in places, but here is what it is looking like:

The idea behind the app is to be able to chat with other nearby users, who can see an approximate position of each other on the map.

There are bugs and issues here and there I haven't spotted I'm sure, so I hope to find some volunteers to try and break it, and then report back what breaks.

Download the test APK here:
    (LINK REMOVED - thanks for the help!)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. mgear

mgear

..where's the download?

3. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Well I was hoping to steer testers to my discord, so I could give them potentially several versions of the APK, depending if things work fine for them... It is more or less a tiny group of devs/gamers on there, and I treat it like a communication hub for people I work with online, and hoped to bring some users in, so why don't ya come on by @mgear :)

4. mgear

mgear

ok, ill join from home later

MD_Reptile likes this.
  5. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I went ahead and posted a direct download link in the first post, as well as some more information about the app, please feel free to download and try it out, try and send me a message (on the account "bob" in columbus ohio) and I should receive the message from my android.

If you notice anything messed up, please let me know so I can figure it out :)

6. steelersfan252

steelersfan252

I am not really sure if people would actually want to use something like this. I mean it will cause a lot of danger of pedophiles talking to random people and seeing where they live or location of them at that exact time

7. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I do see what your saying, but I figure any social or communication app could be abused... I suppose that is something I will have to try and work around if it ever even got mildly popular, but for right now I want to just make sure it works :)

Did you happen to test the app? I've yet to get a single tester :/

Edit: also, as a small precaution the users locations are somewhat fudged, within roughly a city block size, so there is less chance of a user locating another user based on a markers position... this is only a little thing but should help at least prevent some of that going on. As part of the EULA I'm preparing I've made it very clear users are supposed to be adults only, but I'll have trouble enforcing that I'm sure. Don't know of a good way to completely prevent kids from using the app, anybody dealt with that type of thing before?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  8. mgear

mgear

finally briefly tested 0.2.6
    - gps couldnt connect due to rain maybe, bad gps position messages in log
    - entered city to search, nullreference exception
    - not found error when going to profile

9. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Hmm, the "not found" error is probably about a user image not being uploaded for a user (probably can ignore that error) because I can't suppress firebase errors about firebase storage not finding a users image. I'll figure a way to check that a user has actually uploaded an image later to get rid of that :)

T̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶c̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶r̶c̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶o_O ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ Fixed that! Won't show up until you have a GPS position now - (which I also think I've fixed to happen faster, see Edit below)

Now as for the GPS problem, I think that is because I've been testing some changes in the last couple hours, and I've broken some things :p - the version I have posted here is kind of "unstable" in that I keep pushing changes as I go.

I̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶d̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶t̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶k̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶G̶P̶S̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶(̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶m̶o̶r̶r̶o̶w̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶t̶i̶m̶e̶)̶ Whenever your ready, try again :) (see edit)

EDIT: I think I took care of the "Bad gps" problem, it requests the last available gps position the device had, and if it ever had one, it uses that as the initial position until the device reports a new position. Updated the dropbox apk to a new version.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I've updated the apk to version 0.3.0 - where I have disabled the in app native dialog when receiving messages, and improved the stability quite a bit I think.

I'd love it if I could get another volunteer or two to test it out! :) (same link in first post)

11. mgear

mgear

I'm in company network so maybe some connections get blocked..?
    - websocket could not connect.. network is unreachable... firebase.tubesock.., also, unknown host http://s-usc1c-nss-124.firebaseio.com/

12. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

@mgear any chance I could get you to screenshot that for me?

I can't get that page to open :/

And a quick google search has yielded no results :(

EDIT: Though, this does sound like its related to getting the time from the webserver at pool.ntp.org - perhaps that is whats happening - does it say something in the log nearby, that aligns with this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Debug.Log("GetCurrentDate origin: " + origin + " | Failures: " + ntpFailures);
    Would probably read "GetCurrentDate origin: ABC.DEF | Failures: 5" or something similar...

PS - if I hadn't mentioned it already, you can open the log with a two finger swipe down, its Lunar Mobile Console (great asset)

13. mgear

mgear

ill pm the log later.. looks like other users having issues with firebase behind proxy.. not sure if related.

14. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Ahh that is possible, I'm not sure how the plugin is implemented (its precompiled and I don't think I could see the source anywhere), and if it would spit out errors like that or not! But it is possible...

I still suspect its my janky NTP implementation :p

Also, thanks so much for all your help on this!