Search Unity

Help fixing the rectangle of the selected games object

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by XaenZx, Jun 20, 2017.

1. XaenZx

XaenZx

I really don't know the name of the rectangle. So my search for a solution has been quite bad.

edit: The rectangle that is between the blue dots. All game objects has this rectangle that crosses with the images.

Captura.PNG

In the picture, I have a canvas, a botton and a image. The 3 of them has this rectangle placed off place. If I start a new project, the off place rectangle change his position from the games objects. But its still off place (so far the better i had got is just a little off below, but good to the right and left.

I really dont know if this is random or if a did something. I just started with unity, so i dont know if this is normal. But from pictures i have saw, no one has this rectangles off place.

Well, thanks in advance for your help. And I really hope this is not the way unity works. but if it is, sorry to ask for help here.

Regards.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. methos5k

methos5k

Really unsure what you're asking about "rectangle off place".
    Off place from what?

Welcome to Unity, btw :)

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Try setting all of your anchors to the closest corner. I normally find this the most intuitive way to position UI elements.

4. XaenZx

XaenZx

Maybe Unity works like that ?
    the rectangles im talking about are the one between the blue dots.
    Here is a new image with arrows to show the rectangles, saddly i dont know how they are called :S
    Captura.PNG

5. methos5k

methos5k

Okay, yeah just the UI Rect.. I get it. Why are they off place, though? What do you mean by that part?

6. XaenZx

XaenZx

The UI Rect, cut some images, and in others it is not centered.
    for example my default bottoms look like this botton.PNG I can clearly see the UI Rect to being more to the left than the right. Meanwhile, in the manual, they look just in the center of the UI Rect, like these here https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UIBasicLayout.html

7. methos5k

methos5k

oh man, that difference is really tiny. I wouldn't worry about it.
    You can drag the edges yourself with the mouse, while that tool is selected. but you're talking about a really small space. :)

8. XaenZx

XaenZx

hahaha yes its small. I dont mind it that much most of the time. But at times it annoys me, that was why i was trying to know if there was a way to fix it.
    Thank for your help and replies

9. methos5k

methos5k

No problem. Glad it's not always bugging you lol.
    Does adjusting it with the mouse make it look better or no change? Just curious. If it does nothing, I guess that's just how it goes ;) Sorry I couldn't be more help. Take it easy.

10. XaenZx

XaenZx

By adjusting, you mean change its shape, and mess around with the blue dots? Because no matter what i do, they are always there.
    So far i discovered, that if i select at least two gameobjets at the same time, the problem fixes itself (but only while i have more than one gameobject)

11. methos5k

methos5k

Well, maybe it's just a visual thing lol
    I meant if you click/dragging the side of the rectangle, could you adjust it to how you like it..
    but the more i think / talk about it.. the more i wanna say just go with it.. it is how it is :)

12. XaenZx

XaenZx

There is a high chance I am understanding what i want to undestand. But, there is a way to move that rectangle?
    If it is fixable, i would like to fix it and make it look like in the tutorials. Captura.PNG

13. methos5k

methos5k

Sorry I don't really know beyond that. :)

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

Fortunately for those of us who are perfectionists it is not.

Unfortunately what you've stumbled upon appears to be a bug with Unity itself. I was able to reproduce the bug with Unity 5.6.1 and a quick check of the other release I currently have installed showed that Unity 5.5.0 doesn't have the problem.

Regardless of whether it's a bug though something important to understand is that Unity is constantly receiving updates and any tutorials you find will often be one or more releases out of date. Very rarely do you run into a tutorial made for the latest release.

You'll see minor differences like this from time to time as well as bigger ones. If the tutorial is old enough the code may not even work correctly or at all without fixes. If you want to replicate a tutorial perfectly you'll need to use the exact release they used, but eventually you'll have to learn how to deal with it.

Kiwasi and Schneider21 like this.
  15. XaenZx

XaenZx

Thank you! I was really wondering if I did something or if it was the software. This put my mind at peace (When I installed unity, this bug wasnt present, so i assumed I did something to mess up the interface).

While I knew that as a general rule for softwares and tutorials, It never crossed my mind that it could also happend with a visual component (Im used to little changed that most users dont persive).

16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Congrats! It's not often someone finds a genuine bug in Gettig Started. Time to break out the reporter.

17. methos5k

methos5k

Lol.. I'm just glad you found some peace of mind :) Have fun onward. ;)

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just finished checking the latest beta (2017.1b10) and it appears to be working correctly again.

19. Schneider21

Schneider21

I do so much stuff with UI and am very OCD with positioning that I'm surprised I never ran into this. Must've lucked out in my slacking update schedule, I guess.