Search Unity

Heavy aliasing on UI

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by StickyJoe, Feb 1, 2017.

1. StickyJoe

StickyJoe

Hey guys,

I have been busy implementing the UI for our game. Everything is going alright, but when starting up the game and looking at our main menu, the aliasing is very obvious.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 17.03.17.png

Now this is in the editor, but it's somewhat worse in Daydream. We're making use of sliced images and the edges are pretty thin. I know AA is not very ideal with very small objects, but I have no idea to make this somewhat less hurtful on the eye without a re-design.

Does anyone have any tips?
    What we already tried:
    - Scaling (both the canvas as well as playing with the canvas scaler)
    - Scale up and reposition
    - Turning on MSAA (we have 4x enabled at all time anyway)
    - Using any of the post process AA

Any help/tips would be appreciated!

2. Captain-Awesome

Captain-Awesome

I don't think it's possible to have thin UI like that look good in VR right now. You just have to re-do it thicker.

But let me know if you did find a way, because I sure do love having easy to read text in games. :)

3. StickyJoe

StickyJoe

I first tried implementing SDF rendering. While it did help a little, it was still very much noticeable and we just decided to make the lines bigger, make the UI a bit more compact and move it a but closer to the camera.

It could still be better, but we don't have time to revamp the entire UI right now, so we're making this work! :)

dog_funtom likes this.