Search Unity

Headless Mode, displaying text on console screen as well as log file...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by TheUKDude, Feb 22, 2017.

1. TheUKDude

TheUKDude

Hello All

I am creating a dedicated server to be run on one of our Linux Servers in Headless Mode, but I am needing to be able to output what its doing on the console screen and also debug information in its log file.

Like the following being displayed on the console screen:
    Starting GAME_NAME on port PORT_NUMBER
    • Linking up with Realm Manager.
    • Setting Realm Status as CLOSED_DEV

As well as having the normal log file created.

Is this possible, if so can you point me to the right direction.

Regards

Paul

2. Tak

Tak

There's not a straightforward way to do this, since Unity redirects stdout to its log file.

I'd recommend that you create your own log to a separate file, then tail that file on the console when running the server.

3. TheUKDude

TheUKDude

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up starting to write my own server network code so that it runs on Linux which works fine so far, was still shocked that a unity application for Linux (Headless Mode) was taking 14% of the CPU doing nothing.

So for my Server I won't be using Unity, which makes sense to me due to it had loads of stuff that I wouldn't be using.
    I will be using Unity for my Client along with my own TCP Network Client which uses Threads, Queues and Handlers etc.

Paul

4. Tak

Tak

What was the target framerate?

5. TheUKDude

TheUKDude

Erm that was with the vertical Sync off.

Paul

6. Tak

Tak

Vsync won't have any effect with a headless player - if you don't set Application.targetFramerate, it will fall back to the default (which is something like 1000 FPS, if I recall correctly). (The headless player still uses a "normal" player loop despite not doing any rendering.)