Search Unity

Having trouble with an error: Project folder or disk is read only.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by InsatiableLife, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsatiableLife

InsatiableLife

I have recently installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled Unity 5. On installation, I can open a new project and edit it. But when I close the application and open it again I get the error: "Project folder is read only - Please move project somewhere readable and writable." The folder I have it downloaded to is fully accessible. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I can write to the disk with any other program.

Rakesh6720 likes this.
  2. darkhog

darkhog

I have seen it happen, not with Unity but with other software (programming related as well).
    First please check if drive/folder of project isn't actually read-only. If not, well...

My advice is only valid if you have a memory card reader in your computer. If you do, please disable it in your Device Manager and try then. It's not like it's everyday you have to use it and USB sticks are more convenient anyway. It should solve the issue (it did for me when it happened with that other software, though it isn't common information so lots of google fu was involved).

richardgengle likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Where have you placed the project folder? Does Unity have permissions to access that location?

Kope3514 likes this.
  4. goat

goat

A more helpful error is likely in the Windows Event log.

5. Greekxbox360

Greekxbox360

Can somebody create a video for that plz

6. tswalk

tswalk

and so it hath risen from the depths of the abyss

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  7. Kironde-Namusanga

Kironde-Namusanga

(Sorry to start with warnings but == BEFORE DOING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR PROJECT ) any thing can happen
    If haven't yet, then please right on your project folder hit Properties>Security(Switch to Security tab)

Under the Group or Username tab select Your user name or Everyone(In my case it was everyone) and then under Permission check if their is a Tick under allow Full control
    1.if there is,skip this and go to step 2

if there isn't click Add
    Enter your user name under Enter name of object to select
    and hit Okay
    on the next screen ensure allow Full Control is selected and hit Apply.
    hit okay and exit Properties
    And move on to Step 2

2.CHANGE HOW YOU LAUNCH THE UNITY EDITOR
    now this is usually a problem only if you install a new OS and then reinstall unity and attempt to access an old project on the new OS . This is actually quite expected behavior ,however the simple way to fix it is by
    Running you Unity Editor as Admin(Right Click on the Desktop Unity Icon and select >Run As Administrator)
    And then attempt to access the folder again.

This should most likely solve your problem its basically,it's the same as running "sudo -i" in the Ubuntu terminal . :) Right???
    any way please tell me if this doesn't work and i shall be ready to give more help

Gimbals, FlyVC and Rakesh6720 like this.
  8. TiagoCC

TiagoCC

9. Andrew915

Andrew915

yes running as administrator get all the work done for me
    Thanks TaigoCC

Gimbals and Rakesh6720 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.