Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Having Trouble Building Daydream sample applications

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by itsslo, Oct 2, 2016.

1. itsslo

itsslo

I'm new to game development and using Unity.

I've been trying to build some of the Daydream Playground apps to my Nexus 6p and when the build finishes I get the Unity Personal edition loading screen followed by a a black screen with a line starting from the bottom middle going up towards the middle of the screen.

What I've Done

1. Download the the gvr-unity-sdk which includes daydream playground.

2. Create a new Unity project and bring in the assets folder and project settings from the Daydream Labs Controller Playground folder located in the samples folder of gvr-unity-sdk

3. In the Daydream Labs Controller Playground folder, there's an assets folder and within that folder there's a sample folder. In that sample folder are all of the daydream demos.

4. I open one of the scenes for one of the demos. For example, NinjaTraining, then I go to build settings and add the scenes for the ninjatraining app, switch platforms to android, put the correct player settings as directed by google, and then I click build and run.

It successfully builds but the app that gets loaded onto my phone is just a black screen with a line coming from the bottom middle towards the top.

There is some scenic sound coming out of the speakers but other than that it is just a black screen.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Akshara

Akshara

I can offer only an educated guess... the Daydream Labs Controller Playground project was built using Unity 5.3.3f1 and the GoogleVR SDK for Unity v0.8.1 from back in June and has not been updated according to the commit dates from the SDK on GitHub. So this means that the camera setup for each scene in the project needs to be updated according to the steps listed in the Release Notes (Upgrading from Google VR SDK for Unity v0.8.1 and below) which could be why the display is black as there is no working camera in the scene.

3. itsslo

itsslo

Thank you for your response! I sort of suspected that today as well and I am trying to update the Daydream Labs Controller Playground project to the newest SDK but I think using the Unity 5.4.1f1-GVR7 is really messing things up.

Have you had any experience with running playground on this version of Unity?

4. Akshara

Akshara

Yes, as I too have been trying to update the project, over a few sessions and even last night, yet can just not get it to work properly and am letting it go to move on. There are just too many issues, ones that I am unable to solve anyway.

I've reverted back to a 5.3.3f1 and GVR SDK 0.8.1 build for referencing the project, which works as expected. If you decide to go for a 5.3.3f1/0.8.1 build instead and have a question, I will try to help if I can.

Google may update the Controller Playground to run on the Daydream Preview with a future SDK, or release something similar, at some point along the way. I hope they do.

b4th likes this.
  5. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

In theory you should be able to remove the old GVR SDK (including the plugins folder) and drop in the new one and it should just work. But I haven't tried it :)

I've asked google to update the project.

6. stickybz

stickybz

I tried this on unity 5.6.0b10.
    It builds but am unable to select any of the menu items that appear on pressing app button.
    logcat gives:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    03-08 02:11:51.172 23476 23498 I Unity : at StereoController.OnPreCull () [0x0002d] in H:\GIT\gvr-unity-sdk\Samples\DaydreamLabsControllerPlayground\Assets\GoogleVR\Legacy\Scripts\Internal\StereoController.cs:347

7. mira_leung

mira_leung

Official Google Employee

We've updated our sample! Please take a look here.

Akshara and stickybz like this.
  8. stickybz

stickybz

Yeah!!! Working

9. stickybz

stickybz

Thanks