Search Unity

Having a mesh acting as a light

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by PierreCAMILLI, Mar 1, 2017.

1. PierreCAMILLI

PierreCAMILLI

Hi!

First, I'm french so my english can be pretty weak, I'm sorry for this.

My problem is kinda specific. I'm new to shaders and I'm developping a 2D dark platformer game using sprites and light effects.

In order to manage dynamic lights and shadows effects on 2D sprites, I'm doing 2D Spotlight effects with a mesh I generate every frames using this tutorial :
    I used stencil masks as recommanded in the third part to display what the player can see but the render was ugly. So I came to think of using the mesh as pure light and sprites as simples diffuse sprites.

Combining the mesh with a shader from an asset in the store (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24083) and little modifications, I got this result :

(don't mind the circle, the new light effect isn't implemented on it yet)

The smoothing effect is good but now I would like to display what's behind the mesh as if it was enlightened in a dark scene. Here is the shader I'm using :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Gradient/No Texture/Radial/Single-Color/To Transparent/Regular UV/Alpha Blend" {
    3.     //Set up the shader to receive external inputs from Unity
    4.     Properties {
    5.         _Color ("Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)                //Receive input from a fixed Color
    6.         _UVXOffset ("UV X Offset", float) = 0            //Receive input from UV coordinate X offset
    7.         _UVYOffset ("UV Y Offset", float) = 0            //Receive input from UV coordinate Y offset
    8.         _UVXScale ("UV X Scale", float) = 1.0            //Receive input from UV X scale
    9.         _UVYScale ("UV Y Scale", float) = 1.0            //Receive input from UV Y scale
    10.         _Offset ("Offset", float) = 0                    //Receive input from a float
    11.     }
    13.     //Define a shader
    14.     SubShader {
    16.         //Define what queue/order to render this shader in
    17.         Tags {"Queue" = "Transparent" "RenderType" = "Opaque" "LightMode" = "ForwardBase" }        //Background | Geometry | AlphaTest | Transparent | Overlay
    19.         //Define a pass
    20.         Pass {
    22.             Tags{ "LightMode" = "ForwardAdd" }
    24.             //Set up blending and other operations
    25.             Cull Off            // Back | Front | Off - Do not cull any triangle faces
    26.             ZTest LEqual        //Less | Greater | LEqual | GEqual | Equal | NotEqual | Always - Z-Buffer/Depth testing is off
    27.             ZWrite Off            //On | Off - Z coordinates from pixel positions will not be written to the Z/Depth buffer
    28.             AlphaTest Off        //0.0    //Less | Greater | LEqual | GEqual | Equal | NotEqual | Always   (also 0.0 (float value) | [_AlphaTestThreshold]) - All pixels will continue through the graphics pipeline because alpha testing is Off
    29.             Lighting On            //On | Off - Lighting will not be calculated or applied
    30.             ColorMask RGBA        //RGBA | RGB | A | 0 | any combination of R, G, B, A - Color channels allowed to be modified in the backbuffer are: RGBA
    31.             //BlendOp    //Add    // Min | Max | Sub | RevSub - BlendOp is not being used and will default to an Add operation when combining the source and destination parts of the blend mode
    32.             Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha            //SrcFactor DstFactor (also:, SrcFactorA DstFactorA) = One | Zero | SrcColor | SrcAlpha | DstColor | DstAlpha | OneMinusSrcColor | OneMinusSrcAlpha | OneMinusDstColor | OneMinusDstAlpha - Blending between shader output and the backbuffer will use blend mode 'Alpha Blend'
    33.                                 //Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha     = Alpha blending
    34.                                 //Blend One One                       = Additive
    35.                                 //Blend OneMinusDstColor One          = Soft Additive
    36.                                 //Blend DstColor Zero                 = Multiplicative
    37.                                 //Blend DstColor SrcColor             = 2x Multiplicative
    39.             CGPROGRAM                        //Start a program in the CG language
    40.             #pragma target 2.0                //Run this shader on at least Shader Model 2.0 hardware (e.g. Direct3D 9)
    41.             #pragma fragment frag            //The fragment shader is named 'frag'
    42.             #pragma vertex vert                //The vertex shader is named 'vert'
    43.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"        //Include Unity's predefined inputs and macros
    45.             //Unity variables to be made accessible to Vertex and/or Fragment shader
    46.             uniform sampler2D _MainTex;                    //Define _MainTex from Texture Unit 0 to be sampled in 2D
    47.             //uniform float4 _MainTex_ST;                    //Use the Float _MainTex_ST to pass the Offset and Tiling for the texture(s)
    48.             uniform fixed4 _Color;                            //Use the Color _Color provided by Unity
    49.             uniform float _UVXOffset;
    50.             uniform float _UVYOffset;
    51.             uniform float _UVXScale;
    52.             uniform float _UVYScale;
    53.             uniform float _Offset;
    55.             //Data structure communication from Unity to the vertex shader
    56.             //Defines what inputs the vertex shader accepts
    57.             struct AppData {
    58.                 float4 vertex : POSITION;                    //Receive vertex position
    59.                 half2 texcoord : TEXCOORD0;                    //Receive texture coordinates
    60.                             //half2 texcoord1 : TEXCOORD1;                //Receive texture coordinates
    61.                             //fixed4 color : COLOR;                        //Receive vertex colors
    62.             };
    64.             //Data structure for communication from vertex shader to fragment shader
    65.             //Defines what inputs the fragment shader accepts
    66.             struct VertexToFragment {
    67.                 float4 pos : POSITION;                        //Send fragment position to fragment shader
    68.                 half2 uv : TEXCOORD0;                        //Send interpolated texture coordinate to fragment shader
    69.                             //half2 uv2 : TEXCOORD1;                    //Send interpolated texture coordinate to fragment shader
    70.                             //fixed4 color : COLOR;                        //Send interpolated gouraud-shaded vertex color to fragment shader
    71.             };
    73.             struct vertexOutput {
    74.                 float4 pos : SV_POSITION;
    75.                 float4 posWorld : TEXCOORD0;
    76.                 // position of the vertex (and fragment) in world space
    77.                 float4 posLight : TEXCOORD1;
    78.                 // position of the vertex (and fragment) in light space
    79.                 float3 normalDir : TEXCOORD2;
    80.                 // surface normal vector in world space
    81.             };
    83.             //Vertex shader
    84.             VertexToFragment vert(AppData v) {
    85.                 VertexToFragment o;                            //Create a data structure to pass to fragment shader
    86.                 o.pos = mul(UNITY_MATRIX_MVP,v.vertex);        //Include influence of Modelview + Projection matrices
    87.                 //o.uv = TRANSFORM_TEX(v.texcoord,_MainTex);//Send texture coords from unit 0 to fragment shader
    88.                 //o.uv = v.texcoord.xy;
    89.                 o.uv = half2((v.texcoord.x+_UVXOffset)*_UVXScale,(v.texcoord.y+_UVYOffset)*_UVYScale);    //Scale and position
    90.                             //o.uv2 = v.texcoord1.xy;                    //Send texture coords from unit 1 to fragment shader
    91.                             //o.color = v.color;                        //Send interpolated vertex color to fragment shader
    92.                             //o.color = _Color;                            //Send solid color to fragment shader
    93.                 return o;                                    //Transmit data to the fragment shader
    94.             }
    96.             //Fragment shader
    97.             fixed4 frag(VertexToFragment i) : COLOR {
    98.                 return fixed4(lerp(_Color,fixed4(_Color.rgb,0),sqrt( (i.uv.x*i.uv.x)+(i.uv.y*i.uv.y) )+_Offset ));    //Output radial gradient
    99.                 // return fixed4(lerp(_Color, fixed4(0,0,0,0), sqrt((i.uv.x*i.uv.x) + (i.uv.y*i.uv.y)) + _Offset).rgb, 1.0);    //Output radial gradient
    100.             }
    102.             ENDCG                            //End of CG program
    103.         }
    104.     }
    105.     Fallback "Specular"
    106. }
    108. //Copyright (c) 2013 Paul West/Venus12 LLC
    Can you help me to "transform" this mesh into a pure light?

Thank you,

2. PierreCAMILLI

PierreCAMILLI

I succeeded to get pixels behind the mesh with a GrabPass, but now, I would like to get those pixels unaffected by light and shadowings.

Is there some way to do it?

Thank you,