Search Unity

Have you ever used a Unity bug or glitch as a game feature?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arowx, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Arowx

Arowx

I noticed a bug in Unity and thought it was kind of a cool effect that might even work as a game feature.

Have you ever used a Unity bug or glitch as a game feature or effect?

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah in all my previous titles. Because the buggy bits had to be worked with :p It's actually quite common in all engines. A workaround or work-with, so long as it's stable is what you do.

theANMATOR2b and dogzerx2 like this.
  3. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

thats common everywhere in software, even if something is not the intended effect if it is reliable you might as well take advantage of it.

4. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

This game has overlapping planes of diferent colors to create a static screen effect.

4:14

Kiwasi and Arowx like this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I did some experiments with RigidBody parenting at one stage. I couldn't find a game in it, but it was fun to play with.

6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Naw - I prefer my own bugs - they're much more numerous, simple and easy to replicate if needed. :eek:
    What bug?!! That was on purpose! :p

dogzerx2, Ryiah, Kiwasi and 1 other person like this.
  7. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

This isn't really a Unity bug, but on my previous project, I found out that using the Mirror modifier in 3DS Max will cause an object to turn inside out in Unity. Basically, that modifier scales an object in a negative direction, which then causes Unity to get mixed up and turn the object inside out.

I fixed it for that project, and then spent a week trying to replicate it with Blender for my current one. Compare this image of Blender's mascot with this image where I gave the monkey's head a negative scale.

I am now tempted to add a setting to allow the player to toggle this for all NPCs. :D

iamthwee likes this.
  8. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

How does it still continue to do the z fighting even when the screen stopped moving? :eek:

dogzerx2 likes this.
  9. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I can only assume evil magic is involved D-:

10. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

My greatest skill as a programmer is to take something I screwed up today, and find a use for it in a different place tomorrow.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  11. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I've noticed a bug in every game engine that I've used where, instead of "thinking" my game into existence, I have to type code and make all the art myself. So I've incorporated that into pretty much every game I've worked on.

Philip-Rowlands likes this.
  12. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

There was an earlier version of Unity which would allow you to import (but not create new) a render texture, which was previously a Pro feature.. and I considered making something based on that 'bug'/oversight, but never really got around to it. Then Unity later released most of Pro features in 'free' so it was a mute point.

GibTreaty and Kiwasi like this.