Search Unity

Have GearVR app start in 2D / non-VR mode?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Wollan, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Wollan

Wollan

I want to have a login screen and various settings in a normal 2D app-phase before having to put on the GearVR HMD. Anyone know how to do this using Unity? I have searched the web unsuccessfully. Similarly I put the question up on Unity Answers a few weeks ago but nothing. I am able to do it for Daydream in the experimental Unity build by having 'none' as the first entry in the VR device priority but GearVR will always prompt the user to put the mobile into the HMD.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1248857/possible-to-start-gearvr-app-as-a-normal-2d-applic.html

2. JDMulti

JDMulti

Not as far as I know. I know it's possible with Cardboard, but with GearVR I never tried or even heard about it. Because when you start an app, it will prompt you to put it into the GearVR or else it won't start the app at all. And this has to do with some manifest stuff and without it, it won't run on the GearVR.

Maybe someone proves me wrong, but I don't think it's possible. I guess Cardboard it a better bet or go with a login screen within VR on GearVR.

3. Wollan

Wollan

A definite feature request from my side.
    I see that the official GearVR Oculus app has the ability to display the storefront in 2D despite using (I believe I read it) Unity as the foundation. But Oculus will have full source-code access so they will have no problem going outside the 'frames' of Unity itself.

I have made a login screen within the VR environment for now (which is still required/nice-to-have despite if I had a 2D login phase).

4. crash664

crash664

Just an idea here, while I think JDMulti is most likely correct, have you tried building your app with VR support disabled, and then enabling it through a script when you wish to use VR (i.e. after login)? There is a small chance they have built it in such a way that it won't actually prompt the GearVR unless it is really required.

Just a thought, but agreed, a necessary feature.

5. Wollan

Wollan

In the Awake() for one of my primary scripts in the first scene I call VRSettings.enabled = false;
    Still however it's too late as the GearVR headset prompt is already in place.

Without having Virtual Reality enabled in PlayerSettings and 'Oculus' as a device it won't include the necessary binaries.

So running a small Coroutine like:
    IEnumerator delayedVRstart()
    {
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(10);
    VRSettings.LoadDeviceByName("Oculus");
    VRSettings.enabled = true;
    }

... won't work.

6. GamerPET

GamerPET

BUMP. Anyone found a fix for this? I just want to test some normal app functions that don't & shoudn't require me the GearVR on my head.

Thanks

7. Tom-Goethals

Tom-Goethals

Another bump :) I have the exact same, obvious requirement. (although i understand from Samsung/Oculus pov. they don't want us to bypass the oculus home store) For Enterprise applications though this should just be possible.

8. Matexyu

Matexyu