Search Unity

Has anyone ever made an aracade style clone of star citizen in unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FirstTimeCreator, Oct 2, 2016.

1. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I am very close to having a transition system complete where you can fly around in a moving space ship, land on stations or spacial bodies, get out walk around and walk back on to your ship and take off seamlessly.

in other words a full space simulation where not only can you walk around a moving RigidBody ship, but also Get our of said ship and walk around, or fly if you are in space, then get back in the ship and take off into space and seamless exit the ships flight controls into walking on the ship again.

I am just curious because other than pulsar I havent seen any unity games where you can even walk around a moving space ship.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

KSP? One of the big issues of a space walk was losing the connection to the ship, seems genuine.

4. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

In that example the player does not walk around on a moving ship. Nor does the player fly the ship and seamless transition from flight to player controller aboard the ship.

5. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I ran into that problem, which I believe I have solved ;) Maybe ill be the first to make it work. Because I have spent alot of time searching and there is nothing like star citizen in unity and im bound and determined to prove that it is possible.

Pulsar is the only game I have seen in unity where you cane even move around a moving ship. However, there are zero examples of exiting the ship and re-entering seamlessly.

Martin_H likes this.
  6. neoshaman

neoshaman

Don't forget the tutorial then, it will attract a lot of view on you, good for promotion :D

7. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I am re-writing all of my code to be on a single script/class that can be dropped in the scene and used on any ship with an interior with very few things to setup.

Should I sell it as a project on the Asset store or give it away for free?

I intend on making a Space strategy game, a fleet command style game where you can fly your capital ship, walk around in it to the fleet command center, (display) and manage ships in your wing giving them orders. (watch your ships execute said orders out of the windows) or on the fleet command display.

You can also land at stations/astroids get out and walk on them, or fly around in space outside of your ship.

You will also be able to build new ships and conquer sectors.

People tell me it is too ambitious for one person to pull off, maybe they are right. I can however provide proof of concept with the ship and space simulation. Proving it is possible to build the game I am describing with unity 5.

In a few days I will post a demo so be on the lookout for that.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

The Steam page, with its trailer and screenshots, doesn't exactly do it justice then. It's very much capable of it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  9. neoshaman

neoshaman

You can do both, programmer will figure it for themselves, non programmer will ask you to have a very nice interface and take care of all the exception case they can think off, which what the price on asset store will be worth, people pay for the convenience not really the code. I bought many asset that I could have done, because well it's 90 days off my shoulder, even when I need to adapt after.

10. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Well I am doing alot of coding for the tutorial. You will be able to drop in any ship with an interior and in less than 5 minutes be flying it. Also be able to see how it works.

Wish I had something like that would of saved me loads of time. I would have paid at least 50 to 100$ for it. And given the fact nothing like this exists on the asset store.. well supply and demand!

11. neoshaman

neoshaman

Though I don't think it's entirely new, maybe you would had found more hit with "reference frame", that's the name I knew the technique from and it's as old as moving platform.

12. Rombie

Rombie

In Empyrion you can walk around your spaceship but it has to be "parked" (non moving) the only seamless transitions ingame would be flying from planets to orbit/space

Ryiah likes this.
  13. neginfinity

neginfinity

And that's the problem. Don't make the ship a rigidbody, and things will become much easier..

Due to floating point errors, you'll need your own space physics anyway...

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  14. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's weird. I thought it was attempting to be very similar to Space Engineers. Oh well. I haven't played that long myself so I wasn't aware that you couldn't move in it while flying. It just seemed like it'd be expected for a voxel-based ship game that was cloning one of the more popular voxel-based ship games that did support it.

Rombie likes this.
  15. Arowx

Arowx

I've played around with a few space ship 6dof based games/prototypes made in Unity...

How are you getting around the 10k units accurate physics limit, tiny planets, shifting origin, multi-camera and scales or 64 bit world transforms?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    theANMATOR2b and GarBenjamin like this.
  16. Arowx

Arowx

And for VR JAM 2013 an interplanetary jetpack pizza delivery game...

What? I didn't realise that lots of people get VR motion sickness easily, doesn't seem to bother me!

17. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Have a pretty good idea what your first hit game will be like. You've made some interesting stuff. Any of these look like they could be expanded into games for release on Steam.

18. Rombie

Rombie

Yeah I haven't played space engineers yet; but heard they are pretty similar games. I believe the developers are working at some point to allow movement during flight; but I don't see that feature making it in game any time soon.

19. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I have done it, took me quite a while but I have done it. You can walk around space ship, seamless transition *While it is moving. Not only that you can travel across space, land on a separate asteroid and get out, get back in and fly off. All smooth as a babies bottom. hit me up on skype:elitephpcoder if you want me to show you else you can wait for me to upload a demonstration. I want to polish a few things off as much as I can, such as the flight simulator before uploading a demo so it may be a few days. Also, don't have the zero gravity controller implemented in my new design.

Rombie likes this.
  20. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

By the way I am a programmer and desperately need a modeler, I am hoping to impress (with my coding at least) and maybe a modeler will join me in a startup venture!

21. neginfinity

neginfinity

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  22. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Did you see Arowx question?
    LOL - you just haven't found the right crappy VR implementation yet! Consider checking out some of the DK1-2 demo builds. Some were very rough with low framerates and very extreme movements.

23. Arowx

Arowx

LOL I even put a version of my CubeMark benchmark out for VR, it's like floating around in a space based washing machine full of cubes, some people even said they liked it. They must have had a very high end GPU.

24. Arowx

Arowx

Why SPACE is limited in Unity:

Taken from -> https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/6...188377/?_ga=1.144123253.1144772329.1475499923

For accurate physics and steady cameras you need to stay under 10k from origin using 32 bit transforms.

The latest version of PhysX have a move origin feature that would allow you to move in a larger 32 bit space grids (see roadmap).

You should be able to work around it with an Arcade style game e.g. old school tiling or boxing your 'space'.

The Kerbal Space Program game wrote their own 64 bit transform and gravitational physics system to allow them to work to the scale of the solar system.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    wccrawford and Ryiah like this.
  25. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's awesome. :D

26. Arowx

Arowx

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. neoshaman

neoshaman

Is there more information on that?