Search Unity

hack And Slash Tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by BurgZerg-Arcade, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Airmand

Airmand

can anyone answer my question?

2. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Aren't they all on his youtube account, should be able to find them all on there still.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  3. afalk

afalk

4. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

iTunes, by default will only display the last 100 videos. There was some discussion on this in the chat room about a month ago where someone posted how to get it to display the last 200 videos. I am afraid I do not recall what the solution was. As already mentioned, they are all available on a few other sites. The most popular being, Our website, YouTube, Blip.tv, and VodPod.

5. Airmand

Airmand

Im currently deployed in Afghanistan and it would take an 1hr or so for a whole video to buffer on youtube so i dont really have the free-time for it to buffer so while i sleep i would let them download but ran into the issue where the first 70 or so videos i cant find.

6. felivans

felivans

this is extremely nice but can you do the tutorials using javascript?.. it would be exelent

7. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

I will try to take a look later on today on finding a place that they can be stored for downloading. Since there are so many, I do not want to have to host them myself, as this could lead to extra storage and bandwidth costs.

8. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Most of the stuff that we have done so far can be converted to JavaScript fairly easily. The real problem will be later on when we are done prototyping and start to refactor things to be more efficient. I have not found a substitute for such things as delegates in JavaScript.

9. KarelA

KarelA

Hey Burg. I just wanted to say that you are doing wonderful job wiht these tutorials. Thank you for doing this.

Karel

10. Airmand

Airmand

appreciate i really hope you can find something. If not i guess ill just wait till i get home.

11. Lioncirth

Lioncirth

Wow this set is really moving on since I last looked - I need to find time to get into learning C# and Unity. I have done a few of these videos and they really are excellent and perfect for anyone looking to get started with Unity

12. Fishypants

Fishypants

Just recently happened to stumble across BurgZergArcade and these awesome tutorials. Can I just say:

"THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HARD WORK YOU HAVE PUT INTO THESE", seriously there is a lot of great information in these tutorials. Please keep up the awesome work!

13. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are starting on particle systems/FX.

14. TruSeeker

TruSeeker

Thanks a lot for creating this tutorial series, this is really good for people that are from rpg focused game communities and so it really holds my attention well. I'm only on tutorial eight Targeting Enemies 1/3 , I had a problem where I couldn't get the 3 enemies targeted where they would appear in my inspector and when I pressed play, it would start on pause and I had to unpause the game to start it. I continued through the last part of that video anyway though frustrated because of the bug. I searched over and over for the problem and finally found it.

GameObject[] go = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("Ememy");

Pretty frustrating to find your huge mountain was a spelling mistake, my MonoDev font made the "m" look like an "n" even through my quick scans. lol

Either way, thanks a lot for creating your awesome series.

ps. Why did the game pause right away when I pressed play, when I had only one spelling mistake? Also when I was still stuck on that spelling bug but finished the video anyway, why did pressing Tab pause the game during play? The only thing tab did at the time was call a blank list of enemies (like I said, the spelling bug failed to target anything.)

15. aninjamonk

aninjamonk

awesome stuff.... just loved it...

16. jin76

jin76

This should deserve to become stickied, I have followed these tutorials from nearly when they were first starting and I must say Pety has put a lot of work into these. In my opinion this is the best series of tutorials out for unity coding in C# and Unity 3d in general

Keep up the Awesomeness man :)

17. RebelBubba

RebelBubba

I am new to Unity and after getting to know the program I wanted to learn how to develop simple arcade style games and these tutorials was just the answer. I had been studying scripting by itself and wasnt gaining much ground but after watching several of the videos and seeing how they are applied it is starting to make sense. Now when I have an error I am able to use the log file in unity to see what the error pertains to and what line its on and am able to fix it. I am no artist so scripting was all I had and until watching your videos it was just a bunch of code with not much meaning but now with monodevelop and the error log in unity this starting to be more and more fun. HELP I CANT STOP lol anyway thanks for giving back to the community and I look forward to see whats next.

18. iceangel79

iceangel79

Hi have one problem with 20. tutorial , here are the code:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using System; //added to acces the enum class

public class BaseCharacter : MonoBehaviour {
    private string _name;
    private int _level;
    private uint _freeExp;

private Attribute[] _primaryAttribute;
    private Vital[] _vital;
    private Skill[] _skill;

public void Awake() {
    _name = string.Empty;
    _level = 0;
    _freeExp = 0;

_primaryAttribute = new Attribute[Enum.GetValues(typeof(AttributeName)).Lenght];
    _vital = new Vital[Enum.GetValues(typeof(VitalName)).Lenght];
    _skill = new Skill[Enum.GetValues(typeof(SkillName)).Lenght];

SetupPrimaryAttributes();
    SetupVitals();
    SetupSkills();
    }

public string Name {
    get{ return _name; }
    set{ _name =value; }
    }

public int Level {
    get{ return _level; }
    set{ _level =value; }
    }

public uint FreeExp {
    get{ return _freeExp; }
    set{ _freeExp =value; }
    }

public void AddExp(uint exp) {
    _freeExp += exp;
    }

public void CalculateLevel() {

}

//take avg all of the players skills and assign that as the player level
    private void SetupPrimaryAttributes() {
    for(int cnt = 0; cnt < _primaryAttribute.Lengt; cnt++) {
    _primaryAttribute[cnt] = new Attribute();
    }
    }

private void SetupVitals() {
    for(int cnt = 0; cnt < _vital.Lengt; cnt++) {
    _vital[cnt] = new Vital();
    }
    }

private void SetupSkills() {
    for(int cnt = 0; cnt < _skill.Lengt; cnt++) {
    _skill[cnt] = new Skill();
    }
    }

public Attribute GetprimaryAttribute(int index) {
    return _primaryAttribute[index];
    }

public Vital GetVital(int index)
    {
    return _vital[index];
    }

public Skill GetSkill(int index)
    {
    return _skill[index];
    }

private void SetupVitalModifiers() {
    //health
    GetVital((int)VitalName.Health).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute((int)AttributeName.Constitution), .5f));
    //energy
    GetVital((int)VitalName.Energy).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute((int)AttributeName.Constitution), 1));
    //mana
    GetVital((int)VitalName.Mana).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute((int)AttributeName.Willpower), 1));

}

private void SetupSkillModifiers() {
    //melee offence
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Melee_Offence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Might), .33f));
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Melee_Offence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Nimbleness), .33f));
    //melee deffence
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Melee_Deffence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Speed), .33f));
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Melee_Deffence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Constitution), .33f));
    //magic offence
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Magic_Offence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Concentration), .33f));
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Magic_Offence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Willpower), .33f));
    //magic deffence
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Magic_Deffence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Concentration), .33f));
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Magic_Deffence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Willpower), .33f));
    //ranged offence
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Ranged_Offence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Concentration), .33f));
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Ranged_Offence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Speed), .33f));
    //ranged deffence
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Ranged_Deffence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Speed), .33f));
    GetSkill((int)SkillName.Ranged_Deffence).AddModifier(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)AttributeName.Nimbleness), .33f));

}

public void StatUpdate() {
    for (int cnt = 0; cnt < _vital.Lenght; cnt++)
    _vital[cnt].Update();
    for (int cnt = 0; cnt < _skill.Lenght; cnt++)
    _skill[cnt].Update();
    }
    }

And get 2 error message, but im new in C# dont know how to repair, please help me out from this problem.

Here are the erors:

Assets/Scritps/Character Classes/BaseCharacter.cs(98,114): error CS1526: A new exression requies () or [] after Type

Assets/Scritps/Character Classes/BaseCharacter.cs(98,114): error CS8032: Internal compiler error during parsing, Run with-v for details.

19. afalk

afalk

@iceangel :: post your issues on the burgzergarcade forums -- but double check whatever issue you're having may have already been resolved. AS for your code snip above -- don't forget to do a spell check :) For example: its Length, not Lenght in all the array calls .

20. iceangel79

iceangel79

Oh thx, dont seeing that whriting bad.
    Near all errors gone , only one remaining but this will post there.

Thx for help.

21. Fishypants

Fishypants

Not only that, but you have spaces where there shouldn't be . . . for example:

AddModifie r(new

there is a space between the "e" and "r" that should not be there

22. Fishypants

Fishypants

GetSkill((int)SkillName.Ranged_Deffence).AddModifi_er(new ModifyingAttribute(GetPrimaryAttribute(int)Attribu_teName.Nimbleness), .33f));

Actually theres two spaces . . between "AddModifier" and "AttributeName"

I highlighted them with a red underscore.

23. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Thanks for the support :) You do not know how many emails/PMs I get a day with typos :p

24. Fishypants

Fishypants

Keep up the amazing work Petey! :D

25. EpicTwist

EpicTwist

I'm sorry to ask this, but, what is a hack and slash style game? :S

26. Fishypants

Fishypants

27. LaneFox

LaneFox

Wow.

This is definitely the biggest tutorial collection I've ever seen. I'll be diving into this soon.

Really commendable work.

28. hp94

hp94

This is probably the BEST tutorial I've seen, it clearly and concisely delivers what it promises.

On a personal level, I did get stuck at around 40~ because even though I could swear everything up to that point was exact, it errored aplenty. I then tried to buy the scripts for $10, but I couldn't get anywhere on the site, it kept saying my cart was empty on check out.

29. Heko

Heko

Whoa that list of tutorials looks very helpful! Diving into them now :)
    Huge thanks in advance!

Also motivates me to continue writing my UDK tutorials I've been planning to do!

30. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

The last website update introduced a bug for people that were not signed in and trying to add stuff to their cart. This has been fixed now.

31. OldRod

OldRod

After finishing the Community Challenge #1 tutorial series (well done, btw!), I started to dive into this one.

Right at the beginning, you import the Standard Asset package. I don't have a Standard Package to import. I have a Standard Package (Mobile), but it doesn't have anywhere near what you have.

This is in Unity 3.4 Free. Where can I find the Standard Asset package?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  32. Rusted_Games

Rusted_Games

Hello OldRod, If you select to add for instance, the terrain package, character controller, and or skyboxes package in your file structure will be added inside a Standard Package folder like it use to be in the older version of Unity.

33. Kevkees

Kevkees

I have been lurking on the forums for quite some time and just registered to say thanks a lot for these great tutorials! I started following them this weekend and have completed the first 30 now. So far it has been a great learning experience and I always wanted to learn how to create an RPG so this one is right up my alley.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!

34. KristianDoyle

KristianDoyle

This tutorial series is excellent - I want to chip in my thanks and respect.

35. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

I do not get updates for this post (not sure why), but do try to get over here every now and then. It looks like people are still finding the series a good experience. Thats awesome, because I do not plan to quit any time soon :)

Thank you everyone for your support!

36. Stefano_1990

Stefano_1990

I wanted to express my gratitude as well but couldnt find a donate button on your webpage.

37. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

There is no donate button on the site. Just site back and enjoy the ride :) I am.

38. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

I been working on these but i've taken a different approach I am following ur tutorials but instead of using C# im using unityscript and i find its quite enjoying and insightful, however i have hit snags n had to work out work arounds...So while im still new fairly at unity and unityscript My code is a bit rough but I know this is wrong however it still works, This is for the targeting Enemies part

Code (csharp):
    1. var targets : List.<Transform>;
    2. var go : GameObject[];
    3. var selectedTarget : Transform;
    5. function Start(){
    6.     targets = new List.<Transform>();
    7.     selectedTarget = null;
    8.     AddAllEnemies();
    9. }
    11.  public function AddAllEnemies(){
    12.       go = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("Enemy");
    13.       for(var enemy : GameObject in go)
    14.         AddTargets(enemy.transform);
    16.  }
    18.  public function AddTargets(enemy){
    19.      targets.Add(enemy);
    20.  }
    22. function TargetEnemy(){
    23.     selectedTarget = targets[0];
    24. }
    26. function Update () {
    27.     if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Tab)){
    28.         TargetEnemy();
    29.     }
    30. }
    I would just like to know where I went wrong and how i can fix it...

Also i cant seem to figure out how to get the Selected targets to select the closest one but everything else works...

Code (csharp):
    3. var targets : List.<Transform>;
    4. var go : GameObject[];
    5. var selectedTarget : Transform;
    6. private var myTransform : Transform;
    9. function Start(){
    10.     targets = new List.<Transform>();
    11.     selectedTarget = null;
    12.     myTransform = transform;
    13.     AddAllEnemies();
    14. }
    16.  public function AddAllEnemies(){
    17.       go = GameObject.FindGameObjectsWithTag("Enemy");
    18.       for(var enemy : GameObject in go)
    19.         AddTargets(enemy.transform);
    21.  }
    23.  public function AddTargets(enemy){
    24.      targets.Add(enemy);
    25.  }
    26.  function SortTargetsByDistance(){
    29.  }
    30. function TargetEnemy(){
    31.     if(selectedTarget == null){
    32.     selectedTarget = targets[0];
    33.     }
    34.     else{
    35.         var index : int = targets.IndexOf(selectedTarget);
    36.         if(index < targets.Count -1)
    37.         {
    38.             index++;
    39.         }
    40.         else{
    41.             index = 0;
    42.         }
    43.         selectedTarget = targets[index];
    44.         SelectTarget();
    45.     }
    47. }
    49. function SelectTarget(){
    50.     selectedTarget.renderer.material.color = Color.red;
    52. }
    54. function Update () {
    55.     if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Tab)){
    56.         TargetEnemy();
    57.     }
    58. }

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  39. brumdogpro

brumdogpro

I love these tutorials. They pretty much taught me most of what I know about scripting.

40. rockysam888

rockysam888

41. Kalmak

Kalmak

+1 to rockysam. I bought the scripts even though I never actually used them just because the tutorials were so great.

42. rockysam888

rockysam888

Hi admin,

Why not make this thread sticky too?

43. Legacy

Legacy

I also wanted to chip in some thanks here, this series is what got me working with unity in the first place :). Also i heard some things a while back about multiplayer, are you planning on turning this into a multi player hack and slash or just stay single player? I would definately love to see some ideas you have about that topic as some of your approaches to tackling things are pretty cool.

44. Hujo

Hujo

thanks BurgZerg , you're an amazing person :)

45. jin76

jin76

This is probably the best tutorial series for unity using c # to make a game, so why hasn't this been sticky yet ??

46. Hujo

Hujo

i definitely agree ,he deserves it :)

47. Tharkis

Tharkis

So BurgZerg's website seems to be down. Is there a mirror or something for the tutorial?

48. eedok

eedok

49. mohsenz1388

mohsenz1388

Hi everyone. unfortunately BurgZerg's website seems to be down and I can't download the 249HumanAnimated file. would anyone please upload it here or send it to my email address because without that I can't have any further progress in learning unity3d.

50. Tharkis

Tharkis

There are files associated with the tutorials? That might be a minor inconvenience. I tried to tweet at him to let him know that his site was down, but got no response.