Search Unity

hack And Slash Tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by BurgZerg-Arcade, Jul 14, 2010.

1. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

I have started a new tutorial series on creating a small hack and slash style game. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/user/BurgZergArcade#p/c/E5C2870574BF4B06 or here: http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

I start off with a quick proto-typing style and then will gradually build components in to their own classes for easy re-usability in other projects. This tutorial is done in C#.

Also do not forget to check out the Unity API Documentation Video Companion at: http://www.burgzergarcade.com/unity-api-documentaion

Have fun!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. sandolkakos

sandolkakos

Following this great serie of Tutorials :)
    Thanks for Teaching us.

3. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Glad you are enjoying it. It should start to pick up a bit now that I think people are getting use to C#.

4. unitrix

unitrix

Just wanted to say thanks for the great tutorials! Ive learned alot :)

5. sandolkakos

sandolkakos

yes, this is true, i am learning C# very much with your videos. ;)
    Thanks for dedication.

6. zOrigin

zOrigin

Thanks for the great tutorials BurgZerg. :)

7. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Glad you are enjoying them because it looks like there are going to be a lot more of them coming :)

8. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I finally figured out what the mono editor was for ( I have been using the default editor). 8)

9. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Glad you found something new. It can do a lot more then what I have been using it for so far as well.

10. waronmars1

waronmars1

Wow, this looks very in depth, nice work!

11. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Thanks. Glad you are finding it useful. Tell your friends :)

12. madproducer2k

madproducer2k

Wow i just found this and i must say very cool. I am good at building but scripting i suck. I have working on a small city or town and need some type of game play so i will be looking in to this.(link here to check it out http://solidfiles.com/d/445/)
    This would be a good start to learn how to script a bit in my game.Mybe next time i will put togatter a small team becouse building is work e-nuff for me .
    thanks again for this great work you have here.

13. Shizka

Shizka

I'm currently going through this tutorial and I must say that it's quite good :) It's got a nice pace and there's loads of useful things. Good job!

14. foxter888

foxter888

will you be able to make the tutorial on javascript??
    mainly most of the coding i been doing has been javascript so i won't be able to know how to get it to work on java.

thanks if you do it would be awesome.

15. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

When I started the tutorial, I wanted to do it in c# as most are done in javascript. Because of that I currently do not have any plans on converting it to any other language.

On a side note, it is always good to be able to read the other languages, as most of the pre-made scripts that you find may not always be in the languages that you are using.

16. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Glad you are finding them useful. Tell some friends!! :)

17. RoyS

RoyS

I just purchased the $10 script pack and am now going to go through the tutorials. Thanks for doing these.

How far do the tutorials go in relation to the completed script pack? I was wondering, because I didn't see inventory listed in the video set, but saw it in the script pack.

18. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

I update the script pack after every tutorial (about 2-3 a week I am averaging). Tomorrow is spawn generation. You can redownload the scripts as often as you want.

Wednesday night at 7:30 EDT, we will be having a live webcast on burgzergarcade.com to go over the planning for our items, and inventory system. This allows me to cover thing a little more in-depth than I can in a 10 minute video, not to mention that it is live and interactive. I will be recording it for the people that can not make it.

19. RoyS

RoyS

I created an account so how would I be able to get the updates for the latest released videos? I'm not sure how I can redownload the scripts from your site.

20. satire

satire

Scroll down to the bottom of the burgzergarcade site, and click the My Account link, then under the "Files" tab you should see the files you have purchased, clicking the link will download the latest version.

Hope that helps.

21. afalk

afalk

The 1st 10 tutorials are very simple and straight forward. The remaining 50+ yes , more than 50 - move way past just a simple exercise. So far Petey has covered character creation, items, and mobs - all tied to a fully OOP based C# approach, everything is extensible (like the FSM!). There have been live shows too (running weekly - think an enhanced Q&A session), the forums at burgzeergarcade.com are small but the folks are incredibly helpful. Take a look - you will not be disappointed.

22. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

The explanation on how to get the updates was correct. I update them after I record a new video, so sometimes you will see new scripts that have not been covered simply because I have made several videos that day, but did not upload all of them at once as I like to limit them to 1-2 a day.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at http://www.burgzergarcade.com/contact

For some reason, I am not receiving update emails when there is a new post to this thread, so I appologize if I do not get around to answering questions quickly here.

23. kfrench16

kfrench16

Just a quick question about the EULA on the scripts:

The EULA states that the scripts may not be altered. What does that mean exactly?

24. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Oooph! That was a blanket EULA that I had for all of the assets before I even thought of adding the scripts for the tutorial. I will update it. You can do what ever you want with the scripts except resell them or redistribute them. You are free to use them to learn from and/or create as many games/apps as you wish.

25. kfrench16

kfrench16

AH, thanks for the clarification. You can never be too careful these days :)

26. RoyS

RoyS

pm
    Please post your problems here and BZArcade should see it. If you've followed the tutorials and stopped the video to study the scripts, you'll probably find that your errors are as simple as messing up a : or ; or forgetting to put one in. Yeah, that simple little mistake can sometimes cause you to spend hours searching for what went wrong. (Been there.)

Where did you get stuck? At what point in the videos did your scripts not work? Test it out often to make sure you didn't make any errors.

Stop the video and check his scripts against what you have written. More often than not, it's a simple typo.

If you want a copy of the scripts, BZArcade has them on his website for $10. His link is on the video page. That will save you a lot of typing if you're having trouble and can't seem to fix your own scripts.

Post whatever problem you're having here and I'm sure someone who is a better scripter than I can assist you. I'm an artist trying to learn scripting.

27. Quietus2

Quietus2

*bump* for an awesome set of tutorials.

28. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Thanks for the bump. I was planning to have the basic set done by the end of the month, but it has been a hectic month...

Glad to see that people are still enjoying the series. I do not receive updates for this thread when new people post, but I do check it every so often. So if you have a question and I do not answer it right away, it is because I just have not seen it yet.

29. devans770

devans770

Just found this vast set of very informative tutorials. Thank you BurgZerg for taking time to share your experience with Unity! Am rapidly making progress through the series and will soon be looking forward to your new contributions :)

30. Kaya

Kaya

BurgZerg Arcade,

Thank you for your fantastic tutorials!!
    I have just completed the first 18 tutorials so far. They are very informative.

When I follow your tutorials, time to time need to look at the Unity API references. In MonoDevelop Ctrl+' brings online Unity API reference. I just wonder if you know how to use the local copy of the Unity API references (instead of online version) from MonoDevelop (I'm using Unity 3D Pro).

Thank you.

-Kaya

31. RoyS

RoyS

These are great tutorials. I can't believe all the time you put into doing these! Thank you again.

32. I Collective

I Collective

This series is such a boon to game dev in Unity. If you really want to get started in Unity this series is a total must. By the time you get into the 100s you have a good understanding on how to accomplish a great deal.

Even if your an experienced coder it gives a fresh perspective with the series being seated squarely in C# object oriented programming. It is refreshing to see the fantastic attention to maintainable coding standards, so many scripts out there are difficult to slog though. The code in this series is clean and well commented. Thanks Petey, you rock!

33. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Yes, I have to say that my learning process of c# is greatly benefitting from BurgZerg Arcade tutorials. If you have been reading some c# book and are now familiar with syntax and OOP theory, go thorough these tutorials to start putting theory into practice. Great stuff

34. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Thanks for all of the kind words of encouragement and support. We are currently working on looting, item creation, and the inventory system. We will be looking at how to do an override for functions in C# when we start playing with the ToolTips, and of course we will implement our own global tooltip system so you can expand on it as you like.

So much left to do and we are only doing the basic implementations....

This is turning in to the longest running tutorial series for Unity I think...

35. Delita

Delita

Incredible helpful! Very nice tutorial!

36. afalk

afalk

Been a lot of fun so far -- really enjoying the approach to Inventory/Looting etc. Great series!

37. RoyS

RoyS

Hello BurgZerg. Great stuff on the inventory and such. I was originally going to go Javascript, but because of your awesome tutorials, I decided to learn C# instead.

Just curious as to what you are going to cover in your future vids and what we have to look for ward to.

38. nofosu1

nofosu1

Like every one here I really want to thank you for your awesome series. Its made me understand so much. You are awesome!!!

39. Protomega

Protomega

So I'm trying to transfer all the videos to my desktop right now and so far the amount of content in your 138 videos (Yes there are 138 videos) is 23 hours, 42 minutes, and 17 seconds. You should really think about putting a DVD together.

40. rsletta

rsletta

+1 on that DVD idea.. :)

41. leonardoaraujo

leonardoaraujo

Very nice tutorial and the DVD ideia is awesome

42. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Maybe after it is done, but for now, you can always get them from iTunes.

43. gkgauravkamboj

gkgauravkamboj

hello burgZerg arcade i am sticking in some problem while i am seeing ur tutorial healthbar 1/2 i am trying to do same but no GUi is seeing in game window when i am play.

44. gkgauravkamboj

gkgauravkamboj

I am already connect the script to the game object.i am using first person controller(name:player)after that i am creating a c# script and the script name also the player then in public class name i am using player.for more information i am writing the script plz check this and i am using c# express 2008 and mono development editor for scripting the script are under:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class player : MonoBehaviour {

public int maxHealth = 100;
    public int currHealth = 100;

// Use this for initialization
    void Start () {

}

// Update is called once per frame
    void Update () {

}

void OnGui()
    {

GUI.Box(new Rect(10,10,Screen.width / 2 / (currHealth / maxHealth),20),currHealth + "/" + maxHealth);

}
    }

45. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

It should be void OnGUI(). The capitalization matters.

46. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Flagged and reported it, delete the url in your post though M_Stolley, you're just linking it up for others to find. PM BurgZerg the link in private so he can deal with it properly.

47. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@ Frank Oz
    Oh, you are right,

thank you for deleting this.
    I will report it to BurgZerg Arcade in PM.

48. BurgZerg-Arcade

BurgZerg-Arcade

Thanks for letting me know. but to be honest, I am not to worried about being out a few $10 bills. All of the code is available in the tutorials, along with my thought process at the time when I was thinking about how I would like to implement it. If they are not willing to watch the videos, then I do not see much chance of them ever getting anything out of just having the scripts.

With that said though, I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone that has supported me along the way. You people rock!

49. Airmand

Airmand

i downloaded the podcasts from the itunes store but i could only find 176-79. Where will i be able to download the 1st 78?

50. jin76

jin76

i have been following these turorials for a long time and i must say that they are EPICALLY AWESOME . Keep up the great work!