Search Unity

Greeble Kit R2 - Sci-fi 3d Assets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jingle-Fett, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

GKR2 has been approved and is now available!

nuverian likes this.
  2. Binary42

Binary42

Awesome!

Maybe you could drop some additional info to the readme.
    Are the *_S_PBR2 metallic maps a variant?
    And the *_S maps are for a "regular" specular shader, right?

Tanks! :)

3. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Correct! The "_S" maps are the old ones used in the first release. I'll include this info next time I update GK

4. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

WOW!! great for the new PBR version, if before was already awesome and amazing, now it is even much better, congratulations!!

WOW!! love this Greeble bot, and this shows that this pack is really a powerful construction kit to build many different things and can open much the creativity using all the wonderful prefabs and models this includes

NAME EXTENSION?

I think that maybe I can suggest to extend the name with the "construction" word in the middle, so it would be Greeble Construction Kit

Or also addding "Sci Fi" so it would be "Greeble Kit Sci Fi"
    Or both "Greeble Construction Kit Sci Fi" or "Greeble Sci Fi Construction Kit"

This would show and explain better what this awesome pack really is

Also these are really much more like nurnies than greeble, but will not enter to this topic, because is more known greeble than nurnies

THREAD NAME EXPAND

Also think and suggest that the name of the thread does not invite and make you click on it to know more about what it is, it should be a name with a description that tells more about the product and not just and simple Greeble Kit R2 now with PBR that does not show the awesomeness of this package

USING THESE GREEBLE PIECES FOR MANY PROJECTS

For making Sci Fi interiors, corridors and rooms

MAKE LANDSCAPES WITH THIS

I think that also maybe it could be used to make strange and highly industrial metalic landscapes and could be cool, although maybe could have too many polygons but they could be reduced in some way with some decimator or polygon reducer software.

This would be a great idea to be done with these beautiful and lovely creations made in this package
    I mean in some way something like this

Or this one shown here

MAKE SCI FI CITY

And not only this, I think you could build a beautiful and stunning Sci FI city with these pieces and make something special

And this that maybe even more complex to making strange futuristic industrial or alien skyscrapers

And another idea I have seen is that these Greeble kit could be used to create a complex Sci Fi Space Station like this spectacular one made by the amazing Stonemason artist

And speaking of space stations the one I remember most made with lots of greebles and nurnies is the Star Trek Borg Cube

Search in Google images for BORG CUBE for more examples

And this one weird and strange building by Jonnathon that could be surely be built with this Greeble Kit and be something special

And what about filling the inside of a cylinder with all these great and wonderful Greeble pieces of this pack?

Or simple geometric sculptures adding these greebles as tiles

Or a complex sphere with holes

This shown here below has plain and simple cubic greeble, so imagine how much more beautiful land amazing it could be if it was done with these Greeble Kit pieces of this pack.

Or even make art works like these from the Gutalin artist (notice that there are 25 pages on this thread with many screenshot on different pages)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?80531-Landscapes-L51

Or this other artist Francesco Mai

Or this one by Matt Stemen

For even more ideas search in Google Images for

Greeble City
    Greeble City Blocks
    Greeble Sci Fi
    Greeble Landscape
    Greeble Corridor
    Greeble Corridor Sci Fi
    Greeble Space Station
    Greeble Space ship
    Greeble Sphere
    Greeble Cube
    Greeble Neon
    Greeble Art

And for even furthermore, you can also look for all these same suggestion replacing the word "Greeble" with "Nurnies" so it would be Nurnies City or Nurnies Space Station

Apart from Google images, you can search the same in Flickr, Pinterest or Yahoo

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    Jingle-Fett likes this.
  5. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

@SpaceRay All good suggestions thanks, and I agree that I could be doing better in the marketing department. Unfortunately I'm just one artist working alone lol.
    Greeble Kit isn't doing terribly bad though (even with my crap marketing), in the category of 3d Models/Environments/Sci-fi it's currently #1 Top Grossing and #3 Top Paid. And then in the higher category of 3d Models/Environments it's #10 Top Grossing (was #8 earlier in the week). While it could be much better, I'm still proud.

It's still really important to get the word out though. I've been hard at work on a really cool little side project which I'm getting close to finishing and if things go well it will hopefully get a lot of eyes on Greeble Kit. So we'll see how that goes...

6. Znimu

Znimu

Hello,

I just downloaded the update, then imported it in a new project.
    It makes 5 errors :

Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scripts/Antialiasing.cs(20,33): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostEffectsBase' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scripts/Bloom.cs(9,26): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostEffectsBase' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scripts/DepthOfField.cs(9,33): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostEffectsBase' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scripts/Tonemapping.cs(9,32): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostEffectsBase' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/Standard Assets/Effects/ImageEffects/Scripts/VignetteAndChromaticAberration.cs(9,51): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostEffectsBase' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Is it normal ? What should I do, remove the scripts ?

7. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

It should be mentioned in the readme but basically you just have to import the Standard Assets Package "Effects" (Assets>Import Package>Effects). This is because the new example scenes have image effects applied but these were not included as part of Greeble Kit (since they might change between Unity updates). Alternatively you can just remove the effects from the cameras in the example scenes.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  8. Znimu

Znimu

Ah ok, thanks for these informations.

9. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

10. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Nice and cool, very well done, interesting, and this gave me more inspiration and ideas

INSPIRATION AND IDEAS FOR MODIFICATION OF THIS ASSET

I think that this pack of prefabs has really a huge potential to make LOTS of different things, and with the high quality all the prefabs have, it can look awesome..

Although this are whole parts you can also using some mesh cutter available in asset store, cut all these models prefabs into smaller pieces, or make additional parts for have having even more combinations

Also must be considered that you can also (I think) change the materials and not use the included metalic and solid material, you could:

1 - make it with UNO shader asset to convert it to Glass, or any other glass shader

2 - Use and add Neon or Glow shader to borders or some defined and selected parts.

3 - Use transparent Holographics shaders (on asset store) replacing the metal, or keeping the metal and duplicating the mesh, adding a holographic layer over the 3d model and so you can cover these excellent prefabs totally or partially with Holographic effects

4 - You can use Emissive painting to add more details to these already wonderful prefabs

5 - Add adittional small lights attached to the surface of the prefabs metal

6 - Use the Bloom effect to give glow or neon effects to some parts of the models

And many more things that you may imagine and think

Thanks for making this great asset and hope that you will make another second pack to be sold apart with even more of these great models

11. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I want to put that I have no relation or friendship with the author of the awesome and amazing Greeble pack, but I want to put here I again that I really love it very much and want to thanks a million to Jingle Fett for making this asset with so much quality and very well done.

As already said before, this pack gives a really great potential to build lots of different things

I wish you all the best and that you can make more great things to be published

For me the price is surely worth it for all what you get, with high quality and creativity

Thanks

Jingle-Fett likes this.
  12. wolfen231

wolfen231

Hi there,

Strange bug I am having with this kit. The kit itself is fine (and fantastic!) however, I seem to have trouble selecting them in 3D. I typically have to select via the heiarachy. Is this something anyone else has run into?

Edit: Huh. Not related to Greeble obviously. Found out it was the water in my scene. I'll just have to add that later lol.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  13. daniel-eherbert

daniel-eherbert

Glad you sorted it!

I've had similar behaviour when there is a canvas between the editor camera and the object I'm trying to select.

14. yc960

yc960

I like the textures, but couldn't help but notice many, MANY repeating pattern in the texure that can be easily optimized with some simple UV adjustments. I estimate about 50% of textures are overlapping and redundant. I Hope this would be addressed in the next update.

15. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Hi @yc960,
    I do understand what you're saying. However there aren't any plans at the moment on changing it because it was an intentional design decision from the beginning. There are multiple reasons but one of the biggest is so that the user has the ability to more easily customize the assets and textures to their needs, it's more future-proof.

Here's a quick little example of what I mean with the turbine piece. On the left we have the original piece, and on the right we have a reskin (really fast and dirty for the sake of example). If we were reusing the UV space to repeat the patterns (like the bolts or panels), it would be much harder to do stuff like having unique logos or burns on one side but not the other. Or mask out the camo in specific areas. With how it's currently done, you could place a logo anywhere and the camo is non-repeating.

SpaceRay likes this.
  16. yc960

yc960

I did not mean sharing textures within part but sharing them between parts, so if the parts with decals just use a texture instead, sharing texture between parts will also drastically improve perf.

17. yc960

yc960

18. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

@yc960 Some of them already do that. Greeble B1, B2 and B3 for example all share the same texture set. Same goes for the trapdoor and girder pieces. The ones that don't share have their textures separated so they can be individually scaled up or down without affecting the others.
    Also remember that the medium and large greebles are prefabs built from the smaller ones, which means they DO share textures and materials.

19. yc960

yc960

I guess I am not happy with the degree of which they share things. Well, if nothing can be done, so be it. Still an impressive package, looking forward for your updates.

20. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

@yc960
    Just to make sure we're on the same page on how Greeble Kit is set up, it doesn't use atlasing in the traditional sense of having everything on one texture sheet (which I think is what that package you linked to does). But it does heavily reuse textures in a similar manner and that's why performance is so good while maintaining high quality. Roughly two thirds of the included prefabs reuse the textures and materials of the first third, but because of how it's built, they also reuse the meshes ("Greeble Large 30" is about 69k triangles for example but it doesn't take any extra space because it's reusing the source meshes). The medium and large greebles don't use any meshes or textures of their own at all.

So for example, when I reskinned "TurbineA1" here by changing its texture, "Greeble Large 29" changes automatically (along with all the other pieces using that texture).
    Edit: linked the wrong picture and typo

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    SpaceRay, twobob and hopeful like this.
  21. yc960

yc960

Thanks for the explannation. You got my name wrong though.

22. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

whoops, sorry about that will edit

23. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Minor update, two new example scenes have been added to Greeble Kit.

radimoto and twobob like this.
  24. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Sorry that I can not find these 2 new scenes in the last update, where are they?

Hello, I have downloaded the latest version, but I can not find these two new example scenes, there is only the previous 3 example scenes

Thanks very much for creating the cube as this is something I really wanted to do myself and had the idea, but could not know hpw to combine the different part to make it look good, and you have done a great work, love it from the screenshot, now I want to see it for real in the example scene

Thanks for your help

25. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Which version of Unity are you on? I submitted the version with the new scenes in Unity 5.6 so if you're using a prior version they're probably not there. In 5.6, there should be a Unity package called "GK Example Scenes", which should have all the scenes. I submitted it with 5.6 so the materials can make use of instancing (which reduces draw calls in some cases), but the scenes should work in any version.
    If you'd like I can PM you a link to the file with the example scenes so you don't have to download the whole package again.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  26. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, sorry that I did not tell what I did, I am using the latest version of Unity 5.6 and have also updated to the latest version of Greeble Kit and then I have put it in an empty fresh version. Then I have opened the package called "GK Example Scenes" and it includes only 3 scenes.

Greeble Bot, Greeble Level and Greeble Cluster

This is why I was asking for where was the new Cube scene

Do not know if there could be something missing or happened something. If you can send it would be great

Thanks very much

27. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Hm thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've just tried downloading the package from the asset store into a fresh project to see if I could replicate your results and it seemed to import fine for me. It sounds like for some reason the asset store might be giving you the previous version of Greeble Kit even though it shouldn't be. Here is the link to the package with the current example scenes. If anyone else is having the same problem, please let me know.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  28. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Thanks very much for the link, it did work correctly and now appears the new scenes, like them much

I love very much your greeble kit and can not thank enough for creating this in such high quality, creativity and lots of possibilities

It would very good if you could create a second pack with additional models and sell it apart from this as an extension to this one.

By the way, this greebles topic seems that started and got popular with the star wars movies as shown here

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/sta...w-tiny-details-make-a-huge-star-wars-universe

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Jingle-Fett likes this.
  29. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Excellent, I'm glad it worked!
    I remember reading that article back when it came out. The way ILM used greebles for Star Wars was definitely a big influence on Greeble Kit and how Greeble Kit is intended to be used.

At present there aren't any new kits in development since my attention is currently focused on finishing my game BHB: BioHazard Bot first. However I have been bouncing around ideas for new kits. Some ideas include Greeble Kit Volume 2, a kit of sci-fi primitives for building larger environments, a micro-greeble kit with really small pieces, an industrial kit, and several other ideas. Lots possibilities, but of course it's all only in the idea phase at the moment.

SpaceRay likes this.
  30. mkgame

mkgame

I guess in the last update (10.05.2017) somewhat went wrong. In my Unity 5.5.1 non of the materials are mapped to textures.

Can you confirm this?

31. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

I haven't tried it out yet but I've had emails about similar issues and I suspect you may be having the same issue that @SpaceRay had but inverted. Where he had Unity 5.6 and the store was downloading the old version, in your case it sounds like it's downloading the 5.6 version while you're still on 5.5 (the material issue sounds like it could be coming from the fact that in the 5.6 version, the materials have GPU instancing enabled but that feature isn't present in Unity 5.5).

I'm going to try uploading Greeble Kit to the asset store again to see if that sorts things out and if it doesn't work I'll contact the asset store to see if they can help figure out what's going on and if there's anything I can do differently on my end.
    I appreciate everyone's patience on this matter!

32. mkgame

mkgame

Hi,

thanks for your fast response. I tried now in a clean project. I also installed the scenes. Under Unity 5.5.1 naked greebles. Tested it also under 5.4.1f1, also naked materials. Just collecting prefabs/objects from my lot of bought assets. Your asset is awesome for decorating my scifi RTS maps. (not urgent, first I have to create the terrains/rocks/trees/grass)

33. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

When you have the time, could you try opening it in Unity 5.6 as well? This would help pinpoint if the 5.6 GPU instancing is the culprit or if it's something else.

34. mkgame

mkgame

Sorry, I don't have 5.6 yet. We have to be very carefully with updating Unity, that somehow worked well from 5.3.3 to 5.5.1. But Unity 5.6 has again issues (like texture arrays doesn't working well). I guess they had to rush it a bit to introduce the new marketing strategy. Now they looks like having some trouble renting Unity... However, the most valuable in the Unity company is the asset store, which is still working fine.

35. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

A new version of Greeble Kit has just been submitted to the asset store pending approval. It should hopefully fix some of the import issues people have been having. Among the changes are:

-The Unity 5.3 version of the package has been updated to to have some of the changes introduced in the 5.6 version (such as asset tags).
    -Separate asset packages are now included for the example scenes. One is for Unity 5.3, which should be compatible with 5.3-5.5. The other package is only for Unity 5.6 and above and includes the new example scenes.

36. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

@mkgame a solution that may work is if you download Greeble Kit from inside Unity 5.3 (thus giving you the 5.3 version of the asset) and then copy the files into Unity 5.5. The 5.6 version of Greeble Kit does indeed have the problem you describe if it's opened in previous versions of Unity, so the 5.6 version not backwards compatible.

37. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Very good news that you have more ideas to make another volume kit with other different things, great. Of course that I understand very well that your time now must be focused on making your game that it looks good.

Where will be available your game when finished?

thanks

38. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

When the game is finished it will be available on Steam. It actually already made it through Greenlight and everything, here's the link to the Greenlight page.

39. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

The update is now live on the Asset Store. Please try it out and let me know if you encounter any problems! :)

40. bunnyhat

bunnyhat

can i customize Greeble Bot to my tastes? such as:

1: add bottles, cans things of that nature to the kit?
    2: edit the colors?
    3: does it use legacy or Mecanim?

i used to be a junk sculptor but people said it cluttered up the house. so now i'm moving to digital.

41. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Hi @bunnyhat
    1) yes you can add any 3d models to Greeble Bot that you like. Greeble Bot is based on Unity's Ethan 3rd Person character controller. The original character mesh is hidden and greebles are parented to his bones, so you can easily move them around or add new ones.
    2) You can alter the colors of the materials the greebles use or apply new materials to them
    3) Mecanim

Hope that helps!