Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Greeble Kit R2 - Sci-fi 3d Assets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jingle-Fett, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Hi everyone, my first submission to the asset store has been accepted. So without further ado, introducing...

Greeble Kit, the ultimate modular toolkit for creating sci-fi worlds in Unity! Create detailed environments, machinery, and just about anything you can imagine! Create new machinery from scratch, or use Greeble Kit to enhance your existing environments.

Features:
    • Over 100 prefabs
    • 4k textures
    • Fully customizable assets
    • Production tested
    • Custom shader included: "PowerShader3"
    • Compatible with Unity Free!

Available Now!

Official Website

Webplayer - New!

Greeble Catalogue

Examples of scenes made with Greeble Kit:

If you have any questions or comments, please do post on this thread! :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    SAOTA likes this.
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Looks great!

The link at the bottom of your post ("Asset Store Page") doesn't work. (The link at the top does.)

3. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Oh thanks for pointing that out, fixed it! :)

4. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Here's something to help show just how detailed the assets from Greeble Kit are, even when up close.
    Greeble Zoom 01.jpg

TonyLi likes this.
  5. sicga123

sicga123

Great looking assets, I can think of numerous other, non-scifi projects these would suit. Added to may wishlist. Great work.

Jingle-Fett likes this.
  6. giraffe1

giraffe1

can you add more close up screenshots? or make a web demo where we can zoom in/out to see the pieces and their details/quality level.

7. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Sure thing, and I'm actually already working on a webplayer that is a 3d browser for all 100 assets included in the kit

8. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Somebody on reddit asked if Greeble Kit works in Unity 5, so here are some screenshots of Greeble Kit in Unity 5 beta 18. This is in a fresh blank scene with everything on default settings

13/100 Greebles
    Greeble Kit in Unity 5 03.jpg

33/100 Greebles
    Greeble Kit in Unity 5 02.jpg

9. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Here's the official Greeble Kit Catalogue. Browse and preview every single asset included with Greeble Kit with close up images of each one!

Greeble Kit Catalogue

10. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

Nice package, but with a 'recurrent trouble' on the Store: presence of dust, dirt, abrasions etc... They are too visible and makes the pack 'incompatible' (without 'cleaning') with :

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/12253
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19403
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/12365

Would it be possible to have the diffuse in PSD format with a dust layer apart?
    Ideally a PSD with :
    - an 'general color' layer
    - an AO layer
    - an dust layer

oh, do not forget an PBR compatibility. :p

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  11. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Greeble Kit includes AO maps for all the base objects, so if you want the clean look you can actually do that! All you have to do is swap the diffuse texture of a material with the included AO map. Here's an example of the regular material vs the same material using the AO map instead (if you need it even cleaner you can swap the specular/gloss map with the AO map too).

Greeble Dirty vs Clean 01.jpg

As for PBR, unfortunately it requires a bit of work since the kit started development before Unity 5 was available and I wasn't considering PBR at the time... However, it can come in a future update if there's enough demand for it!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  12. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks for the reply.

13. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

It has taken long enough, but here's a webplayer demo to allow you to preview all the assets included in Greeble Kit!

14. Binary42

Binary42

Great stuff!
    Please put +1 on the demand counter for PBR (metal workflow). :)

jovino and SecretStudio like this.
  15. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Well I guess the masses have spoken and enough people have been demanding it so...PBR will be coming to Greeble Kit :) I've actually been experimenting with it for the past week or so. Early results are looking really good, should have screenshots soon so keep an eye on this thread.

jovino, SecretStudio and Binary42 like this.
  16. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Still a work in progress and still needs calibration, but results are promising so far...

01 Screenshot7.jpg
    01 Screenshot15.jpg 01 Screenshot20.jpg

17. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Moar screenshots

02 Screenshot7.jpg

Screenshot19.jpg

SecretStudio likes this.
  18. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

WOW!! Thanks very much for making the new web player demo, now you can really see the very high quality and innovative design of these very well done kit and love the machinery and industrial feel, awesome and great.

PBR will be coming to Greeble Kit

WOW!! this is also a very good, wonderful and great news, and will make it even better and more interesting and useful. I hope it does not take too long for it being updated and PBR ready. Thanks very much for this update and will make it shine even more.

SOME QUESTIONS

1 - How are the materials applied?

2 - Can the materials be replaced for any other materials?

3 - Could be possible to export in some way the texture materials to PSD to customize it even further?

4 - Does it have UV mapping? Or are these made with the Powershader?

5 - How does the included Powershader work and what is does?

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  19. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

After looking at the web player and the screen shots, some of these things look insanely detailed, right down to having some objects with 30 + pipes and bars affixed to them. I am very curious as to what the poly / triangle counts are on some of the big behemoths. I see it mentioned in many places, but an exact number or range is never given.

20. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Thanks for the kind words! To answer your questions:

1) The materials are already all applied so as soon as you import the package, you can just drag and drop the assets into the scene within seconds and you're good to go, no setup required.

2) Yes, you can take any asset and replace the materials for whatever you want. You can grab the existing ones and change them or create brand new ones (always remember to backup though!).

3) The textures are in the TGA format but yes, you absolutely can import them into Photoshop and save as PSD to further customize them. The metallic/gloss maps for the upcoming PBR update will all be in PSD by default since getting them just right has required meticulous tweaking and lots of back and forth (90% of the look is in those textures, which is why it's been taking so long).

4) Yep, each greeble has it's own UV mapping. The medium and large category greebles are made out of the small category ones though, which is how we're able to pack in so much detail using relatively little memory.

5) Powershader3 is basically an upgrade of the old stock Unity 4 bump specular shader, it was extended to have more flexibility in the types of materials it can create. There's also a limitation in Unity's lighting system, which is that lights are limited in range between 0-8.0. To get around that, this shader has a much higher specular range, so it can reflect more than it receives (not physically accurate, but allows for greater dynamic range). Powershader also takes in illumination maps.
    Unity 5's standard shader sort of makes it redundant since it does most of what Powershader does, but for those of you still on Unity 4 it's like the next best thing short of actually using PBR (until now I've been using it with most assets in BHB: BioHazard Bot).

21. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

The small category greebles are very low (which I'm quite proud of), and generally range between 400-2000 triangles (quad/poly count being lower of course). For example:
    GuardrailA1 is only 868 tris/389 poly (normal map makes it super smooth)
    01 Greeble Browser Full 01_2015_01_16_22_01_44_242.jpg

So then naturally, the large category ones are comparatively high...but not unreasonably so. The large ones generally range between 20k-60k triangles while the medium category ones are generally under 20k (although it varies a lot in both categories, some go higher or lower).

35,658 tris
    01 Greeble Browser Full 01_2015_01_16_22_06_57_444.jpg

This one here (one of my favorites), 50,712
    01 Greeble Browser Full 01_2015_01_16_22_06_01_265.jpg

This one I think is the largest one in the entire kit, triangle count is 66,920 triangles.
    01 Greeble Browser Full 01_2015_01_16_22_09_01_497.jpg

The great thing though is that both the medium and large category assets are built like Lego, so depending on your needs you can just go in and delete anything you don't need. For example if you wanted to bring down the poly count of that last one, you could just select all the pipes and delete them, or get rid of just the turbine section.

But best of all, this approach also works ridiculously well with Unity's Umbra occlusion culling because rather than treating the whole thing as a single piece, it will selectively cull just individual pieces depending on what's visible (whereas if it were a single continuous mesh, it'd just cull the whole thing).

22. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

You can do more than just environments with Greeble Kit. 500k polygons for a gun might be a little high though :D

04 Screenshot14.jpg

04 Screenshot9.jpg 04 Screenshot48.jpg

Binary42 likes this.
  23. Binary42

Binary42

Stop playing around, gieeef pbrr texturres! ;P

Jingle-Fett likes this.
  24. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

YES!! Surely that this kit gives a VERY HIGH potential for lots and lots of different things, and with the high quality it has you can be able to make MANY things.

Cool weapon you have done, like it, although as you say very well, 500k for the gun is a LITTLE bit too much :D

After upgrading to PBR, do you have any plan to make a possible update with some more prefabs, or will always have 100 and maybe you could make version 2 with more prefabs?

25. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Well...there may or may not be some surprises in the pipeline for after Release 2. But lets focus on one thing at a time for now ;)

26. giraffe1

giraffe1

how far are you from completing the full conversion to unity shadeR?

27. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

It's actually mostly done, I'll be submitting it for approval within the next week or so.

28. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Here's a short video showing some of the greebles in action!
    (using the newer version of the Unity 5 calibration scene)

Binary42 likes this.
  29. Binary42

Binary42

How should i admire the beauty in 360p? :p

30. jf3000

jf3000

Is this compatible with the latest version and updates?

31. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

WOW!! There is a 50% discount offer (I would include also the word "sale" inside the description too so it would be easier to find) and now is really a great price for such a awesome and amazing pack of high detailed and very well designed prefabs construction kit!!! Love much all the industrial, grunge and sci fi look you have given to the pack.

Thanks really very much for this offer and also for all the videos, demo scenes shown, webplayer browser and of course the well done and complete catalog to show each one of the prefabs, so you really can admire and see that this is a great high quality pack with excellent design and really worth to be bought for lots of possible things.

And also is great that you take the time to answer to all the questions here in the forum in a good way

APRIL 28 2015 First release?

There is also something curious I have seen, this was released the first time in January 2015 in the asset store, so I wonder how is possible that now is shown on the version date "R1 - First Release" ? :confused::eek: I mean that what is curious is the date and not that is the first release.

Jingle-Fett and SecretStudio like this.
  32. giraffe1

giraffe1

i believe, when devs. manually submit for sale price the date changes. that is why is shows april 28. That was when the sale price went live.

33. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

@SpacRay thanks for thanks for posting the 50% sale. I have been looking at this asset for a while and would have hated to miss the reduced price :)

34. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Thanks, and glad it was useful to you, I have just bought it myself, as I agree that I would be a real pity to miss this with this discount

35. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I think that this is the really best way to make an asset to be sold, make a very good high quality models with very good designs, and carefully created and then most important is to be able to SHOW all the beauty you have done in the best possible way with videos, web player, pdf catalog, screenshots and anything that the buyer can see that real and true quality and great design work done.

This author is a good model to follow making a good thing in creating and promoting

I wish you the best and that you have lots of sales and rewards from your work

Thanks very much for making this

Jingle-Fett likes this.
  36. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Thanks a lot @SpaceRay! Hopefully the 50% discount makes it accessible for more people.

37. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

The big and bad problem of the discounts of authors WITHOUT being a 24 Hour Deal OR being included in WHOLE FULL sale as it happens in this moment with the Asset Store Madness sale, is that NOBODY KNOWS THAT YOU ARE GIVING THIS DISCOUNT, I was very lucky to discover it when I went to the store to see if there has been any update, but what happens if you do not already know this great and awesome asset?

I wonder WHY this was not included in the Asset Store Madness sale that is now available?

If it has been included I may think that most surely this would have been sold much more, and everyone that see the sale will now that this is discounted and appears in the list of the sale.

Is there any way that it could be asked to be included this in the Asset Store Madness NOW?

Is a pity that this awesome and amazing asset is hidden in the forum or the store, and not seen as much as it deserves for the creative, high quality and excellent designs.

38. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

I'm actually really disappointed about this with the Asset Store because I've been repeatedly submitting it for consideration to be in asset store sales since release in January and never gotten anything. I've always thought it would be a great candidate, especially for the Tomorrow sale just a few weeks ago (which was sci-fi themed). I understand that they get a lot of requests so maybe that's it but maybe @Aurore could provide some insight? Currently (in its category) GK is #9 in the top paid assets and #5 top grossing and it's even gotten a 5 star review from a former artist at Rockstar games (and all reviews have been 5 stars so far) so I don't think it's the quality of the asset...

39. daniel-eherbert

daniel-eherbert

Howdy,

I've been working on a post processing package for a while now. Picked up the Greeble Kit a couple days ago so that I had some nice models to test my shaders with. Very nice kit, thanks!

Here are a couple screenshots of a scene I set up using Greeble Kit's existing prefabs:

40. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Awesome, you posted it like I asked, the scene looks great!

41. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I can pass this on but I'm not the overlord on deciding what goes in to the AS sales.

Jingle-Fett likes this.
  42. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Thanks Aurore, I appreciate it! If it doesn't get selected that's ok, but some feedback as to why would be great (even if it's as simple as "we have bigger requests" or "too busy")

43. daniel-eherbert

daniel-eherbert

Thanks! I added some extra subtle effects on top of the shot you had already seen.

44. Avalon3D

Avalon3D

Hello, I have just found this and think is very good and well done, and like it much, great quality and high details.

45. jf3000

jf3000

For the people here that are using this asset can I ask what other assets you may be using to bring out the best quality with this like lighting etc Plus what other assets you may be using too.

Thanks.

46. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Just a quick little update everyone, I hit a small delay on Greeble Kit R2 (a project came up) but it's been sorted out and I'll be submitting R2 to the asset store this Friday, May 22 (after that it should be a few days before it's approved).
    To tide you over, here's a little preview of a new prefab that will be included...Greeble Bot!

Here's a gif

Also just a heads up, the 50% discount sale will be ending when R2 launches, so get it while you can!

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    daniel-eherbert likes this.
  47. daniel-eherbert

daniel-eherbert

The scene in the screenshots I posted above are just using Greeble Kit, some standard lights here and there, and then then post processing package I'm working on touches up the final output a bit (depth of field, contrast, saturation, vignette, etc). That's pretty much it for that scene!

jf3000 likes this.
  48. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Well, it is done! GKR2 has been submitted and is now pending approval.

daniel-eherbert and jf3000 like this.
  49. Binary42

Binary42

\o/

Jingle-Fett likes this.
  50. daniel-eherbert

daniel-eherbert

Update looks great!

Jingle-Fett likes this.