Search Unity

Grass Texture Issue w/ Crunch Compression

Discussion in 'Web' started by jonkuze, Jun 13, 2015.

1. jonkuze

jonkuze

Texture Crunch Compression is awesome! But I noticed one small bug with it...

For starters I get a few console errors stating "invalid texture type 28" I'm just ignoring for now as it hasn't effected my project so far except for the Grass in my Terrain.

I notice when I build for WebGL the Grass Looks very Fuzzy when I apply Crunch Compression. After switching Compression back to the Normal Compressed it restored the correct transparency that you would expect on a Grass Texture.

grass.jpg

I can live without Crunch Compression on my Grass Texture lol, but I just thought to share.

2. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Well, Crunch is a lossy compression format, so like any lossy compression, it will work better on some images then others. It seems that the alpha channel of your grass texture does not survive crunch compression particularly well. You could try setting the quality of that texture to the maximum, to see if that gets any better.

The "invalid texture type 28" thing sounds like a bug, though. Do you have a repro case we could look at?

3. jonkuze

jonkuze

What exactly is a repro case? Sorry, I've seen this word thrown around but no clue what it actually refers to.

For now I have set my Grass to the Automatic Compression, it's OK for now.

4. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

It's just a small project that we can use to reproduce the bug. Ideally you would create a repro case, then submit a bug report with it (Help->Report a bug...)

jonkuze likes this.
  5. jonkuze

jonkuze

Ah good too know! Ok once I have a moment, i'll try to do that for sure. Thanks!

6. QFGlenn

QFGlenn

The problem with the "Invalid Texture Format: 28" Is a problem I am getting too. And here is my problem-when I click on the error it doesn't direct me to the offending asset like the other errors. So I really don't know what texture is causing the issue, makes it hard to make a repro project :< but I excitedly crunched most of the textures in my project and now I get 999+ errors in seconds.

[EDIT] Hey, I found out what the problem was. It's the texture crunching. I crunched those textures when it was first released, and I suppose they may have changed the way they are crunched or something since then, and when I recrunched the textures the errors went away

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  7. Meltdown

Meltdown

I'm getting this problem when running my Windows Store build using Unity 5.6.0f1. Was this ever fixed or was a case logged for it?

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies