Search Unity

Google VR SDK 1.10 + Unity 5.5 broken?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by A_Savvidis, Dec 9, 2016.

1. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

I've made small apps with VR SDK 1 & Unity 5.4
    I've just update both to 1.10 & 5.5f3... they just don't work without bugs anymore

Any info? Have you guys found a better combo? I don't want to skip the Google VR because I want the
    Spatialized audio rendering

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Are you targeting Daydream or Cardboard?
    What bugs are you seeing?

andyRogerKats likes this.
  3. Selzier

Selzier

There certainly are bugs in 1.10. Scripts not compatible with Unity 5.5, GvrVideoPlayerTexture.cs has an error on line 595, should be: yield break; Duplicate manifests, manifests are not merging, builds crashing. Lots of errors in 1.10. I've stopped digging into it as the APKs only crash, here's logcat:

12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): Exception calling static method setUnityApplicationState: UnityEngine.AndroidJavaException: java.lang.ClassCastException: com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity cannot be cast to com.google.unity.GoogleUnityActivity
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): java.lang.ClassCastException: com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity cannot be cast to com.google.unity.GoogleUnityActivity
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): at com.google.vr.platform.unity.UnityVrActivityListener.setUnityApplicationState(UnityVrActivityListener.java:77)
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRender(Native Method)
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.a(Unknown Source)
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$b$1.handleMessage(Unknown Source)
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:98)
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:145)
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$b.run(Unknown Source)
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): at UnityEngine.AndroidJNISafe.CheckException () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    12-09 14:14:23.550: E/Unity(19781): at UnityEngine.AndroidJNISafe.CallStaticVoidMethod (IntPtr clazz, IntPtr methodID, UnityEngine.jvalue[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknow

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    aimozs likes this.
  4. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

Reproduce situation like this :
    1. Start a fresh 3d project with 5.5f3
    2. Import Google VR SDK

What happens :
    1. It asks for API Updater (I press yes go ahead)

Console output :

Cinema 4D could not be found.
    Make sure that Cinema 4D is installed and the .C4D file has Cinema 4D as its 'Open with' application!

Some scripts have compilation errors which may prevent obsolete API usages to get updated. Obsolete API updating will continue automatically after these errors get fixed.

Assets/GoogleVR/Legacy/Scripts/Internal/VRDevices/GvrDevice.cs(90,10): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.GL.IssuePluginEvent(int)' is obsolete: `IssuePluginEvent(eventID) is deprecated. Use IssuePluginEvent(callback, eventID) instead.'

Assets/GoogleVR/Scripts/Video/GvrVideoPlayerTexture.cs(595,7): error CS1622: Cannot return a value from iterators. Use the yield return statement to return a value, or yield break to end the iteration

PS.On their site this is the procedure to upgrade a project using older GVR SDK to 1.10 :
    • Open a scene that does not use any Google VR functionality. One way to do this is to save your work and create a new, temporary scene.
    • In the Projects panel, delete the GoogleVR and Plugins directories in the Assets folder.
    • Import the Google VR SDK for Unity unitypackage.

During the import it produces some weird read errors

oscar_e_c likes this.
  5. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

same here, any word on a fix yet?

oscar_e_c and andyRogerKats like this.
  6. Joel_Wang

Joel_Wang

I also encounter this problem,but later I didn`t import Assets/GoogleVR/Scripts/Video/GvrVideoPlayerTexture.cs and GoogleVR/Demos/VideoDemos, it can be used, but i`m not sure if it`s right or wrong..

7. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

word

8. mira_leung

mira_leung

Official Google Employee

Thanks for the feedback.
    • Line 595 in GvrVideoPlayerTexture.cs should be "yield break", and this fix will be in our next release.
    • The Cinema4D issue, and the IssuePluginEvent issue, are currently being investigated. In the meantime, these errors and warnings can be ignored.
    • What read errors are you seeing?
    @Selzier: The manifests should be manually merged, but with 5.5, AndroidManifest should have the same contents as AndroidManifest-Cardboard. It seems like GoogleUnityActivity.java is missing - do you have unitygvractivity.aar in Assets/Plugins/Android?

9. 72mena

72mena

@mira_leung How can these be ignored in the project? When I press Play I get the message "All compiler error have to be fixed before you can enter play mode." And one of those msgs is the Cinema4D one.

I tried Joel_Wang's solution, but even after doing that keeps throwing errors.

10. tnydwrds

tnydwrds

@72mena Have you tried manually applying the yield break fix?

Assuming everything was imported, I think that should be the only compiler error blocking play mode. At least it was in my case.

The Cinema4D error shouldn't be problematic since the model is also provide in FBX format, so as mentioned, you should be able to just ignore it.

11. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

I was able to build out perfectly to android after importing everything but the video demo files.

tnydwrds likes this.
  12. 72mena

72mena

@tnydwrds I decided to start from scratch and it's working now. I had to leave out the video demo files as others are mentioning.

I hope this gets fixed soon. Thanks!

tnydwrds likes this.
  13. mira_leung

mira_leung

Official Google Employee

@72mena Please check what other messages are present in the logs, the Cinema4D one won't block you from running.

@Selzier I looked at this today - if you copy AndroidManifest-Cardboard to AndroidManifest, and change the targetSdkVersion to 24, those runtime errors should go away.

Pikkukala likes this.
  14. GKotlidas

GKotlidas

Hello everyone, :) my first post that i was hoping to not make it actually, but after working for the past 7 hours straight trying to fix my problem and still don't have a solution here i am... :)
    Some days ago I upgraded at the latest Unity3D Version 5.5.0f3 and i have been working and making changes into a big project of mine that was using also the Google VR SDK 0.9.1.
    All things were going fine and were looking to be working as i was testing the Project with a Samsung Galaxy S6, today about 6 hours ago when i tested the Project of mine with a Le-Max X820 device the application it doesn't work. It crashes when it loads any scene that has the GVRViewer script the Google's VR Script.

As i need this project to running NOT with a Samsung Galaxy S6 but in all other kinds of devices can someone tell me if they successfully tested the Unity3D 5.5.0f3 with Google VR 1.10 but in a different device than a Samsung and if they did what was the procedure that they follow to make it work?

The reason that i am asking is because i stopped working on the Project of mine and made a new Project i imported latest Google VR SDK 1.10 put a 3D Cube into a new simple scene the Prefab of the GVRManager and when i lunch this new project stil it doesn't work and it crashes..

@mira_leung i followed all the instructions here in this post and made a new project with just a simple scene as soon as i compile and run the new project into the Le-Max X820 phone it doesn't , it crashes upon loading the Scene with the Google VR Prefab / GameObject..

Thank you.

15. Selzier

Selzier

@mira_leung Thanks for the help. I'm running Unity 5.6 beta released today. I've imported GVR SDK 1.10. Duplicate Manifests error, so I delete AndroidManifest-Cardboard and AndroidManifest-Daydream.

I have not imported GVRBackwardsCompatibility, because I can set Cardboard in VR Supported option. This build is successful & cardboard app is installed with profile setup for Star Wars Viewer.

Samsung S6 & Samsung S7:

Currently, I believe the most stable GoogleVR development is with GVR1.03 & Unity 5.4.2

16. tnydwrds

tnydwrds

17. AlexM202020

AlexM202020

Please advice where to get GVR1.03 & Unity 5.4.2. Thank you.

18. Selzier

Selzier

19. image28

image28

20. kdragos

kdragos

I'm trying to do something similar and getting an issue as well. I've downloaded the latest GVR sdk and Unity 5.5f3. When I start with a fresh project and try to import the GVR sdk, I am getting an error that suggests that there's nothing to import because "all assets currently exist in the project"... Is there any way to troubleshoot this?

21. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

22. mira_leung

mira_leung

Official Google Employee

Could you please check if you're setting the screen resolution somewhere in C#?

23. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

Hello everyone,

i´m about to start a fresh Google VR project and i also did run into issues using Unity 5.5 and GVR 1.10. First of all i got the compiler error and fixed it adding "yield" to the return statement. I got confused that i could not choose cardboard when support VR was enabled. Then i found this thread, downgraded to unity 5.4.2 and GVR 1.03 as recommended by @Selzier.
    Now i´m still confused. I still cant choose cardboard, but when i start the controller demo scene with "no VR support" it renders in stereo. The demoscene though tells me: "To use controller, please upgrade to a version of Unity with the GVR native integration".

Is there a date for a stable version of GVR and Unity 5.5, cause it feels very wrong to start a new project using old or unstable versions. Also it´s kinda hard to understand that a compiler error makes it into a release version of the GVR plugin and takes that long to get bugfixed and patched

edit: When i add that yield keyword, unity also asks to import additional packages, cause my unity (5.5.0 in this case) does not support VR natively

edit2: in unity 5.5.0 and GVR 1.10 i tried using the video scene. i get the menu message "Video Support libraries not found or could not be loaded! Please add the GVRVideoPlayer.unitypackage to this project. Is there an additional package to import? Or is it flatout broken atm?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  24. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Native GVR integration will be coming in Unity 5.6. The betas are out now but I would hold off to beta 3 due to a few issues that took a while to nail down.

If you want to use Cardboard with the legacy support provided by the Google Unity SDK I believe that should be possible if you can find the instructions on how to do that from the Google VR developer site. If you go that route (and this is my guess here) I don't think that Carboard will ever show up in the VR list and that you have to work with the SDK using a standard Unity Android project that is not VR enabled.

If you start with 5.4.3 GVR 13 you should have a fairly safe upgrade path to Unity 5.6 when it launches.

Now, to the issue with 5.4.3: Are you sure that you have Android selected as the target platform? Because Cardboard and Daydream ONLY show up int he VR device list there.

When you say you "start the controller demo scene" what do you mean? Do you mean you are installing and playing the app on a device or that you are just running it in Play mode in the Unity editor? If the latter, I am pretty sure that is not a supported scenario and that you will need to use a Cardboard device. Also note that the controller integration is for Daydream only. Cardboard does not support the Daydream controller that I am aware of.

ethanwgross likes this.
  25. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

nice : )

26. image28

image28

Fixed my distortion issue by tracking down all the files from the old plugin, completely removing them and then installing the new plugin. Still have a slight flickering/clipping issue with an tranparent sphere we have around our map

27. image28

image28

Looking forward to 5.6 with the cardboard/daydream support and the vulkan rendering system.

ethanwgross likes this.
  28. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

Ok, i´, giving a bit more info on what i´m trying to do here:

I´m building a 360 degree video app using ambisonic audio. So having the new video feature from GVR 1.10 would be really great, since i´m sure it will be way easier mapping the sound from the video file to the GvrAudioSoundfield when using googles Video playback engine.
    Currently my setup is Unity 5.4.2 and Gvr 1.03. After a few hours on setting up Ambisonic Testfiles in reaper using the Facebook Spartial Audio Workstatuion i´m quite sure i did run into the spartial sound issue reported here:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/google-vr-soundfield-not-working-properly.447158/

So i´m about to install yet another version of Unity (5.4.3) and hope that at least i can nail down the research on ambisonic (and give my customer the specs for his audio-engineer).

So any recommendations of a combination of Unity and Gvr which is stable and bugfree in terms of SpatialAudio and Soundfields would be great.

Btw: If anyone from google stumbles uppon this thread, your unity tutorials on audio could need a serious update. For example it forgets to mention to set the GVR Audio Spatializer as the Spatializer Plugin in Unitys Audio Settings to get it work at all.

29. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

Little update: After installing unity 5.6 in combination with SDK 1.10 i git my ambisonic sounds working as intended. After adding the yield in that broken class i can at least run my tests in the editor.
    Any date in sight when we can get a fixed SDK with the current stable unity version (5.5)?

30. junlong602

junlong602

Running unity 5.5 and GVR 1.1. Having alot troubles in merging android manifest. Library targetsdk is 24 but unity doesn't have 24.

31. The_Devil

The_Devil

Hi,
    I just downloaded the GoogleVR SDK for unity and made an APK using the demo scene GoogleVR/Demos/Scenes/VideoDemo and when I ran it on the device there was texture distortion for all the three videos. These are the screenshots from the device. Screenshot_2017-01-02-16-03-41.png Screenshot_2017-01-02-16-03-25.png

Any idea on how to fix this? The texture is broken even when playing the default 2d video (load from obb option in the demo scene).

32. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

i must say: The lack of attention to those issues from such a big company like google fixing at least the minor compile errors is quite mind boggling. i kind of understand that at the moment it´s kind of a phase change, while unity is putting more and more efforts into integrating these things nativly (not to mention: xmas and such...)
    But 5.6 is at least 3 month away from a stable state and there are devs out there trying to produce content for THEIR devices.
    I´m really getting tired of having multiple versions of unity installed and whenever i´m running into and issue cross-check diffrent combinations of unity + SDK to find a combination were my needed featuresets work (working spartial audio, video playback and so on...)

AM-Dev, kdragos, virtualcj3 and 2 others like this.
  33. letstango

letstango

@The_Devil Did you have to do anything special to get your GoogleVR/Demos/Scenes/VideoDemo to run the demo videos? Mine always boots up with the error
    "Video Support libraries not found or could not be loaded! Please add the GVRVideoPlayer.unitypackage to this project" even though GVRVideoPlayer.unitypackage is part of the assets to import when I import GoogleVRForUnity.unitypackage.

Any help would be appreciated!

34. The_Devil

The_Devil

@letstango When you import Goolge VR SDK Pluign, it creates a folder called GoogleVR. Inside this folder, there is a plugin by the name "GVRVideoPlayer". Just double click and import all files. The video player works only on the devices and not in the editor.

35. dmoroni

dmoroni

Hi, just a simple question:

Having Cardboard natively supported in Unity 5.6 does mean that mixed VR/non-VR apps would be impossibile in the next future? I mean, having Cardboard sdk enabled from Build Settings could prevent you to disable stereo view, as it already happens for GearVR apps?

36. The_Devil

The_Devil

I need a button on screen at all times just like how the Gear Icon is present in the VR mode. The problem with creating a normal button on the canvas is that the GVR Input Module has priority over the Input Touch Module and hence the button does not take the tap. How do i make sure that the tap is passed to the button?

37. dhabalu94

dhabalu94

Hi,

I have installed Unity 5.4.2GVR13 that comes with the technical preview. And Google VR SDK 1.10.
    I am trying to run the Video Demo scene for Cardboard. I have imported the GvrVideoPlayer package.

Still the error is showing above the menu "Libraries could not be found...."
    Ignoring that, I am playing the local video file (imported to StreamingAssets, some ...bunny.mp4). Nothing is happening. No video is being played.

*Edit : On debugging with logcat there was this error "Unable to find gvrvideo" and "DllNotFoundException" for Awake() and Start() functions (of gvrVideoTexture presumably) followed by "Cleaning up Video" for all three Video types. Cannot understand why this would happen.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  38. The_Devil

The_Devil

Have you installed the GVRVideoPlayer plugin? Also, video mode is not supported in the editor.

39. Matiasbru

Matiasbru

Any news? Still broken?

40. norbertots

norbertots

Have problems with build the VideoDemo scene to Android using Unit 5.5.0p3 and GoogleVR 1.10 .. android manifest error..

How i do to correct merge the android manifest?? copy and rename?? i dont know what i have do...

41. RickyAvina

RickyAvina

While Using Unity 5.5.0f3 and GVR Unity SDK Version: 1.1, manually fixing the yield error solved the problem for me. The Cinema4D issue stopped complaining for me.

42. NGC6543

NGC6543

Hey, does GoogleVR for Unity only work on Unity 5.6? As far as I know, GoogleVR consists of DayDream and Cardboard SDKs, and while Android supports both DayDream and Cardboard, iOS only supports Cardboard. But on Unity 5.5 for iOS the sample projects don't work as expected. The preprocessors
    #if UNITY_HAS_GOOGLEVR&&(UNITY_ANDROID||UNITY_EDITOR)
    block the scripts on iOS...
    Am I missing something? Should I have to use legacy Cardboard SDK on iOS instead?

43. mira_leung

mira_leung

Official Google Employee

iOS does support only Cardboard, and not Daydream.

44. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

I made some test apps... spatial audio seems to not play at all when exporting as mac app. Android works fine
    5.5.0f3 GVR 1.03
    PS. When is the next (and working) GVR coming out? Has google dropped the entire project???

45. NGC6543

NGC6543

@mira_leung, I tried to run the VideoDemo scene but it won't work. I added the GVRVideoPlayer package but didn't work either.

46. Livedtrid

Livedtrid

Same here.

47. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

EDIT : Unity 5.5.1f1 with GVR 1.03 works fine (I thought it didn't but I had the scale of the Game viewport all wrong! duhhhhh)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  48. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

Hello Mira! I have a question please
    1. Will GVR SDK for Unity go on or will we work with Unity 5.6 that will support Cardboard from now on?
    2. If that is the case, what about spatial audio that came as part of GVR SDK??? Will we loose that?

Thank you for your time :)

49. mira_leung

mira_leung

Official Google Employee

Hi @Synthercat,

1. We're transitioning to Unity 5.6 for GVR as a whole, which includes Daydream (Android) and Cardboard (Android, iOS). I've checked with 5.6.0b4 and it's looking good so far for Android. iOS integration is still a WIP, so please stick with earlier Unity versions for iOS builds for now.

2. There is no change in the support plan for spatial audio, it will still be part of the GVR SDK.

Cheers,
    Mira

50. mira_leung

mira_leung

Official Google Employee

@NGC6543 @Livedtrid Could you please elaborate on what is not working? Which version of Unity, what behaviour you're seeing, and a stacktrace (if applicable) would be good to know.