Search Unity

Google Daydream remote in Unity without having to use the Technical Preview.

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by rorylane, Jan 3, 2017.

1. rorylane

rorylane

We're cross developing for Rift, Vive, Daydream, and a variety of other platforms.

For out prototyping, we'd like to use the Daydream remote as our common denominator input device.

However, it's not obvious if there's a way to use the actual Google Daydream remote with Unity through USB without using the Tecnhical Preview version of Unity, which we'd like to avoid because we don't want to bother maintaining backwards comparability between 5.5 and 5.4 due to some unrelated differences between those versions.

If using the actual Daydream remote isn't possible with a vanilla installation of Unity 5.5, we can find some other solution (just using the Daydream remote phone emulator or a rift/vive controller), but using Daydream remotes would be our first choice, so I figured it'd be worth checking.

EDIT 1: I wish I could delete the thread.

It appears that there's native Daydream support in the 5.6 beta. I'm still investigating how it works, but it seems promising.

EDIT 2: Still wish I could delete the thread, because I hate having unclear questions, and this issue has gotten more complicated than it first appeared.

Apparent dead end on the 5.6b. Here's from the release notes from 5.6.0b3:
    VR: [Daydream] There is no native controller integration yet. For controller use please use the Unity SDK provided by Google. Next step is to check trying to integrate the SDK in hopes it can interface with the Physical daydream hardware rather than just the phone emulator.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Native integration has nothing to do with this since that is only on the device. I assume that you are talking about using the Daydream controller as a common input while in the Editor and I know for sure that Google provides no support for using the controller in editor at this time.

That said, even when they do provide something like this I am not sure that you could use it as a x-plat input device for all the headsets but that would be a bridge to try to cross only after Google provides initial support.

3. rorylane

rorylane

"I know for sure that Google provides no support for using the controller in editor at this time."

Okay, thanks. That answers my question.

4. nathanmartz

nathanmartz

Official Google Employee

Yeah, we support the input companion app on a phone in the editor. We're working on an update to the input companion app that will allow it to forward real daydream controller data to the editor. That should get you what you're looking for.

5. rorylane

rorylane

Thanks guys.

I'm happy to hear that you're working on it. The emulator app was a huge help when we were doing our initial daydream development, but it's not a great way to work out the subtleties of the app feel because the tactile feedback is so different (especially since you're wearing an HMD, and often lose track of where your thumb is positioned on the pad).

Anyways, thanks a lot, and I look forward to using the feature when it's available. You should also consider making the controller available in standalone builds (rather than only android) since it would represent a useful feature for developers and an affordable orientated peripheral for users of other sorts of headsets.