Search Unity

GlowEffect Help

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by flash, May 15, 2008.

1. flash

flash

I have 6 planes that I'm trying to get to "glow" I have applied the built in GlowEffect shader and I get the effect I want on those six planes. The problem is that I'm getting bleed over on other assets that I don't want.

Is there a way to isolate individual components using this script? as opposed to applying it to the whole scene? I tried to apply it like I would a HUD element - but that didn't work at all.

blikstad posted an "alpha overide" shader that sounds like it should do the trick, but I can't figure out how to implement it.

My shader knowledge level is below that of a noob :(

Thanks for the help

Flash

2. flash

flash

I figured out how to use the GlowEffect shader, you have to completely control your alpha in the scene. If any object in the scene is using any alpha then this shader will grab it and and glow it. I'm sure this is done for performance reasons, but I can't use this shader because of this limitation and talking with others in the IRC, there is no object specific glow shader out there right now.

Anybody want to write one for me?

Thanks

Flash

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I think by its very nature, a glow effect has to be full-screen. You can't make shaders affect pixels outside the object itself. So a per-object glow effect would stop at the edges of the object, which wouldn't look very glowy at all.

--Eric