Search Unity

Glow 11 - for desktop and mobile

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SRH, May 1, 2013.

1. paraself

paraself

PM Sent

2. curious_phil

curious_phil

Sounds like you guys have gotten this to work on Unity 4.6?

Mind sharing the fix? I only have the original plugin with dll.

PM Sent as well.

TooManySugar likes this.
  3. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

what, after a lot of search I find this badass glow effect and its removed from the store>>> ahhh kmon...

4. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

OK>> I've gone trough the whole thread. Looks like a performance killer as the scene grows as it requires to render all teh stuff again to compute occlusions. Looks like an overkill process to me. I think extending a bit the script to only consider an specific layer of occlusion geometry would do the job.
    But using the existing buffer author says might not increase performance, can not understand why as it should be quite super cheap this way.
    I see a couple of troopers still using and modifying it, do you people still uste it?

5. paraself

paraself

As more and more people came and asked me about the fix, I think it's better to come here and ask you guys if I should open source the Glow11 so that we can collaborate on it together.
    As we all see, the author does not reply any of us, is it legal to share Glow11 on github?Or I should share it only within a small group of people - those who bought this plugin?

6. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

open sourcing it without devs permision would be a mess and leting this asset sink in the aviss a big loss...

7. TobiasW

TobiasW

Did anybody get it to run in Unity 5.3? I did what willtrax described here and I don't get any errors/warnings, but the glow just doesn't show.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  8. Wolfram

Wolfram

For me, in Unity 5.3 the Glow does work (1.0.8 with willtrax' compile fixes applied, UnityEditor 64bit on Windows) - but on ALL objects/the whole screen: Everything is blindingly white. :-(

The only way to make the glow work as it should is to enable "Reuse Depth Buffer" in the Glow11 script on the Camera.
    But if I do that, I can no longer use hardware anti-aliasing.

Anybody ran into this problem or has an idea/workaround/solution?
    Any help appreciated! :cool:

9. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

You might have a component interfering with this effect. Move the glow upwards in the camera components.

10. Wolfram

Wolfram

Thanks for your reply. However, there are no other components and/or Image Based Effects on any cameras.
    The scene was unchanged between 4.7 and 5.3, and in 4.7 everything was fine.
    And to elaborate on "Everything is blindingly white": its not simply a white screen, it's as if a) everything is using the Glow effect, not only the objects that use the shaders, and b) the glow is so intense that almost everything is "overexposed" and clipped to white; only very dark shadow regions remain grey-ish.

11. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

well. no idea, I'm still on 4.6 platform.

Its such a shame that developer quit. This asset provides a glow like no other.

12. paraself

paraself

Did u try what I posted in the previous post? It should be working in Unity 5.3,
    This is what I have, I integrate glow 11 into my own post effect stacking bundle.

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 11.11.59 AM.png

Attached Files:

13. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,
    Can work on google cardboard?

14. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Its been ages since the dev show up on the forums. I'm trying to upgrade my project o unity5. You people still using this or there is anything better for 5.x?

15. lazygunn

lazygunn

I gave up on this. Sonic ethers or amplifys bloom along with emissive materials are very nice in its stead

16. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I've sonic ethers SSAO and is a super pro package. I saw the bloom but it does not support per object glow right? or by using these "emisive mats" you can achieve that only specific mats do glow?
    Performance wise are also also fps killers like Glow11?

Edit 5.4 is almost out and finally its making 4.7 feel a bit obsolete.

17. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm more familiar with amplify to be honest but emissive material and bloom means per object bloom right?

These image effects are in screen space per my understanding so they glow when it's relevant I guess

And yes especially if you are targeting VR the hike to 5 is relevant

18. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Yeh, if these are screen space it won´t be easy to be per object because will have similar issue as glow11 requiring to compute depth to oclude glow when neccesary.

If I find something interesting I'll share.

////////////////////////

Using emissive stuff / glow I think what it does will be use a threshold and glow only objects that are very "bright". This can be good in many cases but does not offer the control of glow11

19. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I came with an idea, in order to reduce the impact of the depth calculations I think it would be feasible to duplicate the damera that only renders the glow objects and the main ocluding objects layer that is rendered on top of the other. This will probably not work on VR but for desktop for sure should work.

20. kieec

kieec

If your scene does not have too much game objects to deal with, there is a work around to solve "Everything is blindingly white". You need to modify non glow shaders to at least add
    _GlowStrength ("Glow Strength", Float) = 1.0 to shader property block and the other two points necessary as described in Glow 11 manual: 4.Modify existing shaders.
    After that, you can set these non glow object's Glow Strength to 0 to avoid glowing.

21. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Hi,
    Can work on google cardboard?

22. kieec

kieec

Can work on Xbox one.