Search Unity

Glow 11 - for desktop and mobile

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SRH, May 1, 2013.

1. toto2003

toto2003

when i switched to pro, that was the first asset i wanted to purchase, the demo you provide just convince me. so beautifull
    thanks for releasing such asset

2. paraself

paraself

It's incredibly beautiful, and the author is quite nice, very responsive! This is what I 've done with this plugin for my 2D game. The plants are glowing and lighting the environment with Glow 11. Thanks for making this awesome plugin!

$Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 3.21.03 PM.png

3. toto2003

toto2003

paraself = beautifull!!!!! is it a game?

4. SRH

SRH

It's a game. Check the link in his signature.

5. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

Hey SRH. Great work on Glow 11. I'm currently using it in my next game. I have an issue in that it looks really insipid on iOS with the default blur. I have compared desktop, Android and iOS and the iOS version is definitely washed out. If I set the blur to be the Unity bur it really regains its colour but it looks no where near as good.

Any ideas?

6. SRH

SRH

Did you enable "Use 32 bit Display Buffer" in the player settings?

7. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

Yep. As far as I can see that is the default option is it not?

8. SRH

SRH

You're right. It wasn't enabled by default in earlier Unity versions, that seems to have changed recently.

Back to your issue. I was able to reproduce your issue but haven't found a fix yet.
    I'll continue investigating whats going wrong there, my best guess at the moment is that it's some kind of precision/clamping issue in iOS. I hope I'll have a fix early next week.

Btw. do you have a scene were it is really obvious? While I an see a difference in the glow it's hard to compare it between iOS and my PC as the difference in screens is much more distinct then the difference in the glow (had to make screenshots on iOS and then take a look at them on the PC to compare the glow).

9. SRH

SRH

Looks like this is a more basic iOS issue, nothing todo with the Glow:

Just a simple unlit cube looks desatured when rendering on iOS without any glow or anything else in that scene
    $editor_ios.png

So it looks like there is nothing I can do to fix it :(

10. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

Question before i buy : do i have to change my object material to make it glow ? or modify any shader code ?

11. SRH

SRH

You've to change the material (change the shader). Modified version of most standard shaders are included (the missing ones are shaders that use blending other then alpha blending).

If you've custom shaders you'll have to copy&paste a few lines of code (see http://i-gamedev.com/glow11/manual.html#writingShaders).

12. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

Whilst there is a slight difference there is something else that's an issue here. I'll screen shot the default blur and the Unity blur and you'll see a huge diference in colour

13. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

I have attached a spliced screen shot. The left side is with the Unity blur, the right side is with the default blur. Both were captured on the same iOS device. It shows that the iOS device can do nicely saturated colours, but the blur looks nasty using Unity's method.

If you look at the ball colour it appears almost white on the right hand side. The green goal is almost white too, as is the blue blur.

Attached Files:

14. SRH

SRH

Just seems to be an issue how you set up your material. Looks to me the sphere and green cube are a bit to bright, simply use a darker color for them.

You should be easily be able to get something like this:
    $greencube.png

15. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

That looks much more like I want but of rate life of me I can't get it :) I've tried darkening the colour and it stays super bright. As long as I know it's possible I'll carry on fiddling with the settings. If it's not too much trouble, could you put that scene up with that cube so I can check it's settings please?

Thanks for your help on this.

16. SRH

SRH

Here is a screenshot of the settings:
    $Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 12.55.25 AM.png

If that's not enough tell me your email and I'll send you the scene.

17. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

That's perfect. cheers for your help.

18. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

awessssssssssssssssm work

19. capnbubs

capnbubs

This is a fantastic plugin but I'm having a problem getting it to work with my 2d game that uses an orthographic camera. The glow always seems to be rendered using perspective.

20. SRH

SRH

The glow should copy the settings of the camera it's attached too.

There could be an issue if you've a script that modifies the projection matrix directly. I can send you an updated version that should fix that.

21. capnbubs

capnbubs

It might be something to do with me using the 2d Toolkit, it has it's own special camera script.

22. capnbubs

capnbubs

Ok, it looks like the 2d toolkit cam is modifying the projection matrix directly like you said!

I think I was wrong about it being in perspective, it could be orthographic but just not matching up. It looks much more zoomed out.

23. SRH

SRH

Please tell me you email (send me a private message) and I'll send you an update that will fix that.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  24. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

I got it :)
    didn't expect the impact on the performance but i like the effect.

25. capnbubs

capnbubs

With the update from SRH it works perfectly in my 2d game now!

Fantastic support.

In case anybody is interested in seeing it in action in a 2D game here is a web player.

Webplayer

26. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

I have some glowing tiles and spawn a 1 shot particle burst over the glowing tiles.

The tiles under the particles lose their glow whilst the particle is emitting briefly.

I saw in the Glow 11 reviews that this issue had been fixed. Was it an asset store fix or did you advise with changing some settings?

Thanks.

27. SRH

SRH

The update isn't on the Asset Store yet (but will be soon). I sent you a private message explaining where to get the update.

28. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

Lovely, thanks very much. Your support for your product is exemplary.

29. TickTakashi

TickTakashi

Hey, for some reason I can't get Glow 11 to work on mobile, the script just disables itself like the Unity Pro Image Effects?

30. SRH

SRH

Glow 11 has the same basic requirement as the Image Effects. You need a Unity (iOS/Android) Pro and on mobiles it requires OpenGL ES 2.0.

31. TickTakashi

TickTakashi

Well I feel stupid now, thanks for responding though!

32. SRH

SRH

Any non Pro users should check out Indie Glow. While the quality of the glow is not as good as with Glow 11 it's a good alternative if you don't have Unity Pro.

33. TickTakashi

TickTakashi

It seems that objects do not glow when the camera sees them through other objects with transparency? Is this intended?
    $glowissue.fw.png

34. SRH

SRH

that is a bug in the current version (tint color isn't taken into account). I'll send you an private message with an updated version (this update should be available in the asset store next week).

35. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

hi,
    i boughted glow 11 before fue day. it's amazing . but glow color property is not animated in run time plz.... help me.how can i do it.

regards

play_edu

36. SRH

SRH

Most probably this is due to a bug in Unity (not all materialk settings are copied when a material is instanced.

As a workaround you can either try to modify sharedMaterial (if thats possible in your use case), or do the following (before you modify any of the material settings)

Code (csharp):
    1. string[] shaderKeywords = renderer.sharedMaterial.shaderKeywords;
    2. renderer.material.shaderKeywords = shaderKeywords;

According to UT this will be fixed in Unity 4.2

37. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

hi,

thanks for help.

38. PCHDev

PCHDev

Hi!

Thanks for this! Really great work!

I'm having a little trouble implementing it in my project however. The glow seems like it's not getting occluded by geometry in front of it. This occurs in any combination of unity built-in shaders, glow11 built in shaders or my own custom shaders.

It looks like this: $glowSorting.jpg

I'm most likely missing something fairly obvious, lol... In any case, if you could point me in the right direction to fixing this it'd be really awesome.

Cheers!

39. SRH

SRH

Please try to enable "Reuse Depth".
    If this helps it's most probably caused by a shader that uses a non standartd RenderType. In this case you'll to modify /Glow11/_internal/Resources/Shaders/Glow11GlowObjects.shader and add (assuming teh shader is opaque):

Code (csharp):
    1. Subshader {
    2.     Tags { "RenderType"="YOURRENDERTYPE" }
    3.     Pass {
    4.         Lighting Off Fog { Mode off }
    5.     }
    6. }  

If this doesn't solve your issue please send a simple test scene to glow11@i-gamedev.com so I can take a closer look at it.

40. zinnercircus

zinnercircus

Just bought GLOW 11 and it rocks! however, I'm wondering if there is a way to glow "black", I realize glow is usually implemented as an additive color, but what about as a multiply? Anyway to go about this? I've been trying to get the effect for quite a while now :) thanks for any hints in advance :)

41. SRH

SRH

You could modify the shaders used for blending. They are in Glow/_internal/Resources/PostShaders/Glow11Compose.shader

42. PCHDev

PCHDev

Thanks for responding!

It turns out that closing all the open faces on the occluding geometry and then re-applying their material solved the problem, things are looking great now!

Cheers!

43. SRH

SRH

Due to some changes in Unity 4.2 the current version of Glow 11 generates a few warnings.

An hotfix to fix most of these is available here. There is still one left and I'm working to fix this too.

44. SRH

SRH

An update to the hotfix: Download

Had to do some internal changes and it's not properly tested yet (there are no more warning messages and everything seems to work fine). Any feedback would be appreciated.

45. dustinbahr

dustinbahr

I just updated to Unity 4.2. I was getting a ton of warnings. Then I found you had a hotfix. I have imported "glow11_1_0_7_unity4_2_hotfix_v2", but I still get a bunch of warnings like this:

46. SRH

SRH

You're right, there were still some warning when using the Unity Blur.

Made a new update that fixes this: download

47. dustinbahr

dustinbahr

Awesome, works great! Thanks!

48. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

Hey, I have tested the app on a Nexus 4, and S3 and an S4.

For some reason on the S3 the glow filter goes all blurry:

Any idea why this would deb the case?

Attached Files:

49. SRH

SRH

Try to change the downsample blur mode, some devices don't support the Max blending (shouldn't be an issue as there is a fallback for devices that don't support it, but maybe something goes wrong there).

50. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

You were spot on. I tried setting it to screen and it works fine.

I have added a script to the camera that changes that on Android devices.

Thanks.