Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting support

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by mrd777, Jun 7, 2017.

1. mrd777

mrd777

Hi there,

I seem to consistently not get replies to my posts on unity answers or unity forums. I also see many others have this issue.

Please note, I understand that this is a community based forum and there is NO guarantee of a reply, as this is only people offering free help to each other.

My question is, what are the best practices to employ in order to generate replies?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hi, this could depend on a number of different reasons.
    Are you posting in the appropriate forum? Have you searched if the question you are asking already exists (possibly with an answer)? Is the information you're searching for already available in the Unity Docs of Learn material? etc :)

Can you give examples of some of the posts you've created on the Forum and Answers? That could give us an idea on how to help guide you a bit in the right direction.

3. mrd777

mrd777

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I make sure to read all appropriate forum categories to post in the correct one. AFAIK I'm posting in the most proper category. I definitely do a lot of searching before posting. I'd rather have answers immediately, so I try a good hard search before. And definitely, that includes the unity docs and learn materials.

So for example, I posted this :
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/m...dleveladditive-certain-world-position.474164/

(this one I found my own method on doing, so I guess it can be 'marked resolved')
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/how-to-camera-boundaries-for-2-5d-side-scroller.473015/

Again, I definitely understand that this is community support and any reply is a gesture of goodwill. I am not mad at all. I simply want to to know best practices to ensure I'm not doing anything wrong, and that it's perfectly normal for this to happen.

Thanks again!
    Dave

4. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

What could help in scripting questions is to provide some code snippets of what you've attempted already but didn't quite work the way you wanted. That way others can have a look at your code and suggest what to change, rather than write something from scratch. This article is not written by us but can give you an idea on how to frame your questions :)

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@mrd777 I believe the primary problem is you have confusing thread titles. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what you wanted help with from the topic titles at first glance.

Typically if people can't work out what you want from a glance at the topic, they won't bother wasting their time.

For getting help with your threads I recommend you keep topic titles simple, short and focus on one thing. Not a bunch of things. Guess what you did right in this thread? :)

"Getting support"
    vs
    "Modify Scene origin before loading scene? Or LoadLevelAdditive @ certain world position"

The branching topic title is super confusing...

6. Baste

Baste

You also tend to not get answers if you ask something people don't know the answer to. People don't drop by and say "I would've helped you if I could!"

Your question about loading a scene is an example of that. See my reply in that thread.