Search Unity

Getting more info about app crashes in approvals process?

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by marshmatter, Apr 10, 2017.

1. marshmatter

marshmatter

Our app was rejected with:

The app crashes
    The app repeatedly crashed during review. The app freezes at random instances and it is not possible to do anything in the app at all, requiring the user to manually close the app. This happened multiple times during review. The app should not crash, force close, freeze, or otherwise function abnormally.

We haven't been able to reproduce any of these problems in our submission build with either a Pixel or Pixel XL pointing to our Production servers for app content. Nothing has been reported through our crash monitoring. We're a little stumped on what these crashes are and how we can got more information from the approvals team?

2. reedny

reedny

I received the same response today from review ("The app repeatedly crashes") and am also able to run the Play Store apk (spinpaint) on a Pixel XL and Moto w/o any crashes. Have you made any progress on figuring out what the issue is or how to get more info? Thanks, Reed.

3. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

It can also be something which is not literally a crash. For example, in some condition I accidentally called my scene manager with a blank string for the scene name. The result was the screen fades to black and then nothing happens. Google reported it as a "crash".

Have you asked them for more information? I have not had to yet but I saw another poster here before say that they got more information after asking. However in other cases I heard they weren't so helpful. Please update thread if you manage to get more information from them so we know what you did :D

4. reedny

reedny

I did ask for more info (and my log), and got a review from another person, but no log. They were unable to reproduce the crashes, added a note to my account and asked me to resubmit.

I also found on the Play Console the next day the crash reports, so they did happen. All of them were in libunity.so or libvrcore_native.so or libc.so (the traces are attached), and some matched existing issues with Android others have seen.

I also added more Firebase events so I can see more accurately when in my app's run these are happening. I'll re-submit tomorrow, and let the forum know what happens.

Attached Files:

5. reedny

reedny

App (Spin Paint) was approved today. I submitted a new version, and oddly, got a rejection from the previous version (1 / 1.0) about 1 minute later. About 40 minutes later I got an approval on the new version (10001 / 1.0.1). No crashes reported in Play Store Console, and the testing runs showed up OK in Firebase intraday. Thanks for the helpful input.

6. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

Strange - thanks for the info and good luck with your app!